Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Rank the Central American Countries

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 30th, 2011
Luisito wrote:BUSMAN ARE U SERIOUS?????????? San Salvador IS as dangerous a Guatemala city no quesiton about it....You say its safer then some canadian cities??? Please let me know which ones????????, i live in Canadas most "violent" city.......Winnipeg, with an average 24 homocides a year...thats extremely high for a Canadian city, considering the population is only 700,000. San Salvador has 24 Homocides within a week, easily! LOL I have spent MUCH time in El Salvador thats where my wifey is from, its like my second home, I have freinds and family all over S.S, Soyapango, zacateculca etc etc........ ........ Theres no way in hell you can tell me San Salvador is safer then Guate ( or Canadian cities, that is simply way off!) And its not just San Salvador...........Santa Ana and San Miguel are very violent cities aswell......I rather walk around Guatemalas second city....QUETZALTENANGO then any of EL Salvadors second cities! .... San Miguel is almost as dangerous as san Salvador,,And SAnta Ana is not far off.......Quetzaltenango is a mucher safer(and more interesting) place hands down....

I know Salvadoreans always want to make that claim...."oh were safer then guatemala" i hear all the time when im there........But for those that speak a little spanish and want to be informed about whats going in El Salvador you can watch Salvadorean news clips @ esmitv.com or even better watch the news live online in the evenings @
http://www.esmitv.com/vivo.aspx


Obviously you would know more than a person who lives in the area!! :roll:

Making the comment that San Salvador is as dangerous as Guatemala City is really showing your ignorance of the subject! :stooges:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Luisito

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 7
Joined: January 29th, 2011

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 30th, 2011
Saying that San Salvador is safer then many Canadian cities was ignorant, :lol: that is simply wrong.....and i have lived in El Salvador, thats where i met my wife actually and i lived in Guatemala for years.....I travel to both countries often, so lets agree to disagree.

And to anyone else reading this i encourage you to do your own research on the subject, Cause in Guatemala, people will say the same thing about El Salvador...thats its way more dangerous. :lol:

Sorry for getting off topic. peace

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2011
Luisito wrote:Saying that San Salvador is safer then many Canadian cities was ignorant, :lol: that is simply wrong.....and i have lived in El Salvador, thats where i met my wife actually and i lived in Guatemala for years.....I travel to both countries often, so lets agree to disagree.

And to anyone else reading this i encourage you to do your own research on the subject, Cause in Guatemala, people will say the same thing about El Salvador...thats its way more dangerous. :lol:

Sorry for getting off topic. peace


Whatever :!:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Ben2Africa

Lost in Place
 
Posts: 75
Joined: January 14th, 2008
Location: Peterborough, Ontario

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2011
Well you've sure gotten quite a mix of oppinions! Might be a tough decision for you guys!
I haven't been to El Salvador or Panama but here is my two cents on the other countries in order from most-liked to least-liked (note: they were ALL amazing).

Nicaragua: Loved it. It had the most third-world, chaos reigns sort of feel, which I love. It almost reminded me of travelling through West Africa. But also had volcanoes, beaches, jungles, and cool activities for cheap!

Guatemala: Surprised me! I didn't know what to expect. Guatemala was beautiful. And as many already mentioned so is Antigua. But Lake Atitlan really was impressive! Lots to see and do and a very rich and thriving Maya culture.

Costa Rica: Sure it's touristy, but for good reason. It is beautiful, fairly cheap and I love the "Pura Vida", live life to the fullest lifestyle. It's a lot of fun.

Honduras: Only okay really compared to the rest. Utila was awesome, and great snorkeling.

Belize: Caye Caulker was great and a chill place to hang out, but Belize was pretty dumpy and the people not nearly as friendly I found.

And even though I haven't been to Panama I would still recommend you guys do it! It's on my list of places to go next year! Looks amazing. If you only want 2 or 3 of CA I'd vote:
Start Guatemala drive through Honduras to Nicaragua. Then drive through Costa Rica and head to Panama. If you plan on doing SA as well I'd try finding a boat to take you from Panama to Cartagena, Colombia through San Blas Islands! Ever since I heard of this it's become a dream of mine!

Let us know what you decide!
Ben

Briena

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: January 29th, 2011

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2011
There are some great 'rankings' on here. Just glancing over them, the first by Felix the Hat is a great sum up in a nutshell, although I would have to move Guatemala to the top of my ranking list.

Guatemala's richness of culture is simply incredible. It also is extremely diverse in terms of landscape and nature. From tropics to high mountain, ocean to volcanoes, it provides plenty of diversity in terms of outdoor adventures, is super cheap, easy and fun to get around (chicken buses!) and is full of friendly people and incredible history. Also, Spanish lessons here are common and cheap.

A little info for you:

Xela (Quetzaltanengo) is my preference on places to settle for a while for language classes. At first appearance, this town is less than exciting, but once you're there for a few days it grows on you and suddenly you never want to leave... trust me. You can also hike to Mayan steam rooms and take day trips to nearby hot springs. I also recommend visiting the Maximon diety San Simon in the nearby town on Zunil. Excursions to climb local volcanoes leave from here.

Semuc Champey is a unique natural water area that is well worth the dirt road excursion. You can bath in beautiful cascading falls and also hike/swim through caves.

Finca Tatin, located on the Rio Dulce, is a wonderful escape from the world. Accessed only by boat, you can sleep in hammocks or huts, paddle out around the river in kayaks or traditional boats and enjoy warm, tropical weather. It's a great stop over on the way to/from Tikal (the ancient Mayan empire).

Antigua is a beautiful colonial town also offering Spanish lessons. It is easily accessible from Guatemala City (airport) if you only want to visit Guatemala for a short stay, but is also highly touristic. Many buses and excursions access the rest of the country from here... it acts as a central hub. Chichicastenango, Guatemala's biggest handicraft market is a day trip from this location. Excursions to climb local volcanoes also leave from here.

Lago Atitlan is a popular lake surrounded by volcanoes. Beautiful to visit and you can hike all the way around the lake, visiting villages along the way.

Briena
www.travelingmydeeperdream.com

Piecar

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 3432
Joined: September 11th, 2003

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: January 31st, 2011
Nice to see a passionate dissenting voice, Luisito. I, too, have to say that busman's statement about Canadan cities is ridiculous. He's just moved down there, so like all newly converted, he tends to be overly zealous. Also, he doesn't actually live IN the city.

San Salvador has great people in it. I actually had quite a good time the four or so times I've been there. But's a rough hewn and dangerous town, and you don't want to be out by yourself late at night

Good going Luisito, keep 'em flying.

D
Good Luck Out There.

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 1st, 2011
Piecar wrote:Nice to see a passionate dissenting voice, Luisito. I, too, have to say that busman's statement about Canadan cities is ridiculous. He's just moved down there, so like all newly converted, he tends to be overly zealous. Also, he doesn't actually live IN the city.

San Salvador has great people in it. I actually had quite a good time the four or so times I've been there. But's a rough hewn and dangerous town, and you don't want to be out by yourself late at night

Good going Luisito, keep 'em flying.

D


A fellow X-pat from Vancouver who has been here 15 yrs, says Vancouver is more dangerous than San Salvador. Personally I would just as soon take my chances in San Salvador than a couple of drug infested areas of Oshawa ON, a tawdry GM town of 100,000 full of unemployed crackheads! :roll:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 1st, 2011
I've gotta call BS on this, busman. El Salvador has a homicide rate approximately 10 times higher than the US, and probably 50 times higher than Canada's. Most of those homicides take place in San Salvador. Have you ever been there at night, when the security guards with shotguns and maras are the only people on the streets?

I can't believe anyone who claims Canadian cities are more dangerous than San Salvador has spent any significant time in San Salvador.

skottandshawna

User avatar
Armchair Traveler
 
Posts: 43
Joined: August 9th, 2010

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 1st, 2011
Please guys, no fighting.... :)

We are just looking for a little Central American advice....

Thanks all - we do appreciate it!

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 1st, 2011
OK the US Propaganda spread by CNN & FOX comedy hour news has brainwashed some posters however I'll still take San Salvador against Canada's capitol Ottawa, where tho police chief is begging the province for more money, which isn't forthcoming or Washington DC which isn't safe in the daylight! :(

As long as you travelers brainwashed feel you know more than long term residents, there's no point in discussing the matter. :headbang:

So everyone just stay away from this dangerous country & leave us in peace. :rockout:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

zoomcharlieb

User avatar
Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 768
Joined: June 24th, 2007
Location: Lake Forest Park, Washington

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 1st, 2011
Briena said Lago Atitlan is a popular lake surrounded by volcanoes. Beautiful to visit and you can hike all the way around the lake, visiting villages along the way

I hope not too many people take that advice as there a a band or two of robbers waiting for you between the village of Santiago de Atitlan and whatever the name of the other village is to it's east. i know not from first hand experience but from the hotel owner and countless other posts on this subject.

Briena, be good if you would take the hike yourself first and then pass out the advice.

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 2939
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: itinerant

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 2nd, 2011
busman7 wrote:OK the US Propaganda spread by CNN & FOX comedy hour news has brainwashed some posters however I'll still take San Salvador against Canada's capitol Ottawa, where tho police chief is begging the province for more money, which isn't forthcoming or Washington DC which isn't safe in the daylight! :(

As long as you travelers brainwashed feel you know more than long term residents, there's no point in discussing the matter. :headbang:

So everyone just stay away from this dangerous country & leave us in peace. :rockout:


Er, yeah. You're not a resident of San Salvador either.

busman7

User avatar
World Citizen
 
Posts: 1174
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: Traveling for a while away from Playa San Diego SV

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 2nd, 2011
Felix the Hat wrote:
busman7 wrote:OK the US Propaganda spread by CNN & FOX comedy hour news has brainwashed some posters however I'll still take San Salvador against Canada's capitol Ottawa, where tho police chief is begging the province for more money, which isn't forthcoming or Washington DC which isn't safe in the daylight! :(

As long as you travelers brainwashed feel you know more than long term residents, there's no point in discussing the matter. :headbang:

So everyone just stay away from this dangerous country & leave us in peace. :rockout:


Er, yeah. You're not a resident of San Salvador either.


Picked up the application yesterday while I was at Migracion getting my visa extension, not something that happens overnight as have to return to Canada to get some paperwork notarized, basically a civil servant make work project for both governments. :roll:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Piecar

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 3432
Joined: September 11th, 2003

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 2nd, 2011
Anyway, Scott and Shawna, aside from the city of San Salvador, which is either dangerous or akin to Disneyland, depending on who you talk to, I'd say that El Salvador is a lovely place to visit. It's tourist infrastructure is not the best, though...and there are new residents to the country who seem to desire to be 'left in peace'. If you decide to take busman's advice, please err WAAAAYYYY on to the side of caution. I imagine you'll find people who come out of their businesses to warn you back to your hotel, or to give you their number should you need help at night, as has happened to me.

Either way. Have fun.
D
Good Luck Out There.

Wiskee

User avatar
Lost in Place
 
Posts: 86
Joined: August 12th, 2008

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: February 3rd, 2011
zoomcharlieb wrote:Briena said Lago Atitlan is a popular lake surrounded by volcanoes. Beautiful to visit and you can hike all the way around the lake, visiting villages along the way

I hope not too many people take that advice as there a a band or two of robbers waiting for you between the village of Santiago de Atitlan and whatever the name of the other village is to it's east. i know not from first hand experience but from the hotel owner and countless other posts on this subject.

Briena, be good if you would take the hike yourself first and then pass out the advice.




There are stretches of the road around the lake that are quite safe. We were told the walk from San Pedro to San Marcos is safe, and we agreed when we did the walk one afternoon (we were there in July of 2010).

There are routes that arent advisable at times, but others that have improved security the last few years. Just ask around with the locals and travelers about which are currently safe for walking or biking and have fun!
Formerly bakpakaddict


Previous

Return to Central America Travel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

PLEASE NOTE: Your original BootsnAll Boards Member login still works by logging in below on the Boards.
We have a new BootsnAll Account that you will start seeing around the BootsnAll Travel Network. This new login is not yet linked to your current Boards Account. In the meantime, you will need to sign up (for a BootsnAll Account) to use Account features like Indie ™ , Traveler Profiles etc.

Quick Links

Community Activity

Statistics for the last 7 days

New posts:
0
Newest Member:
Freshroads


Indie - Multi Country Flight Finder
Round the World Travelers


Join BootsnAll on Facebook

1 (503) 528-1005

© 2018 BootsnAll Travel Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.