Dust off a forgotten foreign tongue, debate the best ways to learn another language, pick up some slang in the local lingo, discuss regional dialects. The subforums are archives of older resource threads.

? re: Rosetta Stone

chelley

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 10th, 2008
For those of you who have tried at least the first disc. how much were you able to learn? could you understand a lot? were you only able to string a couple of sentences together or just a few words here and there?

I'm trying to relearn korean and since they only have 1 disc to learn it i was just wondering if it was worth buying. i really just want to understand korean and speak it only when i have too. i really would much rather be fluent in french Smile

thanks!
~M

Rocknrod

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2008
I have a copy for learning Spanish.

It surprises me how much I understand... hear it in Spanish and formulate a reply in English just fine, but I haven't put forth the effort to really delve in and learn to speak it. (Don't quite have the vocabulary yet to tie together coherent thoughts... Big Grin )

Give it a try, its a LOT faster as far as learning goes than a book or audio cassette. You get the verbal, picture, and written forms of everything about a million times... Big Grin
---
Restoration projects I'm working on...
-- Noel - WWII Coast Guard Cutter
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/ -- My Pearson Triton sailboat.

Conor_M

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2008
I used the Rosetta Stone extensively before my trip to South America and made it most way through the second Spanish disc.

I would say that it can very helpful for vocabulary, I picked up a lot of words through it that way. There are tons of different verbs and adjectives. As for grammar and conjugation it isn't as helpful. You will notice the differences in verb tenses but since it doesn't explain the different pronouns and rules behind conjugation you aren't really learning the tenses.

Hungrytravelers1

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 3rd, 2009
It helps for sure. Though when the locals start speaking in TURBO mode, sometimes all I can do is give the :shock: expression.... and many times they just keep on going... haha.

Jose p.

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 11th, 2009
I've used Rosetta stone for a few languages at a few levels. I find it works fairly well, and the 3.0 version does a much better job of guiding you through the rules by using minimal pairs that demonstrate when to use one form or another.

That being said, you need to approach it like a puzzle--try and figure out what the difference is between the pictures and the phrases/sentences.

Also, be aware that in the pictures, people will not point. They indicate if they are referring to another person or themselves with an open palm. I assume this is to avoid using a gesture that is offensive in many cultures, but if you aren't prepared for that, it can be confusing. My fiancé is using rosetta stone to work on Spanish and thought that the verb "tener" had something to do with giving/receiving rather than having because he thought the people in the picture were reaching out to take something or had just given it, rather than "pointing".

camden

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 15th, 2010
I learnt Spanish the good old-fashioned way and am now starting on Portuguese - I've got a copy of Rosetta Stone but think it's probably best used in conjunction with a more traditional grammatical approach - the programs wonderful for picking up vocab and immersing yourself, but I think if you want to be truly fluent there's no escaping a wee bit of boring old conjugation.
That life-quickening atmosphere of a busy railway station where everything is something trembling on the brink of something else - Nabokov
http://cam-thebrink.blogspot.com

Return to In Other Words + More Resources