If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Recommend somewhere Cheap with Fast Reliable Internet!

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 12th, 2011
I just landed a telecommuting job.. where should I work from? I can pretty much live anywhere that is relatively cheap, but I need reliable internet that is fairly high speed 24 hours a day.

1) How much does it cost where you live?
2) How reliable is your internet, and is it fairly fast?
Bonus question: Do you have 3G or internet available through your phone? When my electricity and internet goes down due to power failure, it's incredibly useful to still have laptop on batteries that can connect with a cell phone.

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Mexico. :)

Where I'm living now just outside of Merida is great (but HOT now). I pay $165 USD/month for a private studio casita which includes everything but drinking water and a pool. It's a bit out of town though - takes about 10-15 minutes to walk to the village/bus and then about 20 minutes to get into Merida proper. But if you don't want to be that far out, you can easily get a place closer for less than $300 USD/month.

The other area of Mexico I usually live in is San Cristobal and it's much cooler (in all meanings of the word) and, IMO, nicer and cheaper than Merida. Rents are similar to Merida for nice places but you can get cheaper. Food, entertainment, etc. is cheaper and better.

Re internet, everywhere in Mexico has internet. In the Yucatan, most parks have free wifi. Every apartment I've rented has has internet - some faster than others. In most places if you want faster you can get it for yourself or talk to them about upgrading and you pay the difference. Don't know about internet on your cell because I don't want to be that connected and I've never had the power/net go out on me here (in 2 years). But I do know it's available as my husband has a blackberry that he can use to access the net.

Another bennie of Mexico if you're from the US is that you're in the same time zones and flights are frequent and relatively cheap. If you're not from the US that won't really matter. :)

I work online and it's been VERY easy to do down here. I can live very comfortably on less than $600 USD/month and could live on $400 without stressing too hard.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Thank you so much for the rundown.. all of that sounds awesome! $600/month seems plenty cheap. It's also good to hear your internet hasnt gone down in 2 years, hhehe. I guess I was picturing it might go down more frequently if someone was recommending a remote island in the middle of rainy season.

The idea that I could negotiate for faster internet with the landlord is such a great tip. I'll definitely remember that.

beefmaster

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2011
In Egypt I have fast 3g on my phone and I have 5mb broadband internet that costs about 40 euros a month.

Return to Living Abroad