Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Recommended guides for backpacking Europe?

dog8food

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 27th, 2011
I've found some great information here and on the web. I'd like to find more guides for beginners backpacking Europe. Any links/tips?

I'm going as low-budget and light as possible (35 litre to be safe for carry-on). My purpose is to visit various churches/people there and I've found some good means to get around cheap (couch surfing, WWOOFing, Hostels, etc). But like I said, if you can share any tips or previous experiences I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sean

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2011
Hey Dog8food,

I don't have any links handy. But my thoughts on backpack travel in Europe.

1) Europe is a great place to start. It's easy, and friendly IMExperience.
2) WOOFing and Couchsurfing will connect you with locals, and save some money for sure
3) Hitch - another way to save money

the big thing is though, just go. You'll figure it out on the way. To me, that is the most fun!
-----
Director of Boots
Dream. Search. Go.
http://airfare.bootsnall.com
http://twitter.com/SEKeener

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 30th, 2011
Best guidebook I have ever found is wikitravel.com. Seriously I don't even look at the proper ones anymore because that one is so detailed and, more important, free- look it up!

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Andromeda wrote:Best guidebook I have ever found is wikitravel.com. Seriously I don't even look at the proper ones anymore because that one is so detailed and, more important, free- look it up!

I agree! wikitravel is great! I also use Flickr to search destinations and get a look through other people's photos at what kinds of things might be of interest. Not exactly a guidebook, but it's a great resource!

dog8food

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Great tips. Thanks!

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel