Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

RTW for a cause and solo

VickyLynn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 24th, 2011
Hello everyone. I have been trying to plan for an RTW for quite some time and now the reality of this trip is setting in. I am currently selling off all my possessions, getting all the bare essentials together for travel and making plans. I would like to leave before the year is over. For some reason tonight I stepped out into the darkness and was overwhelmed with by the fear of doing this trip alone. I have no idea where that came from, I have been traveling solo for most of my life. Any of you who have any experience with this, I would love to hear your thoughts.
My goal is to inspire cancer survivors around the world to go beyond any limitations they feel they may have.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2011
An entirely normal feeling to experience when the reality of what you are about to do sets in, that you are about to leave all that you are accustomed to & strike out into the unknown, alone, for an extended period of time.

It happened to me & from what I have read on this board over the past couple years, it happens to most at some point as the trip gets closer.

Just remind yourself of what you are planning & why, plus in my situation anyway, it was do it alone or not go, the feeling will dull but not entirely leave until that first plane/bus leaves & you are finally on your way. :)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Firstly Good on you for battling cancer and surviving!!

I don't really have any advice to give, but I was just wondering if you've started a website or a facebook page so that other cancer sufferers and survivors know what you are doing?

VickyLynn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Thanks, nice to know I am not alone in feeling this way. Yes, I am in the same boat, go it alone or not go at all. The people I know just think I am crazy and the saying where I am from in PA is that vacation is in Ocean City, MD. If you aren't familiar...that is tops a 4 hour drive.
I have not gotten a website up yet however I will be doing that. I am just not very tech savvy and can't really take the money to pay someone to build it for me. My family has been affected by cancer many times over, twelve people to be exact, so it is a cause I am passionate about.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Have you considered just doing a blog as opposed to a full blown website. If I can figure out how to do a blog on BNA then anyone can LOL
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

VickyLynn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Sounds like you and I are in the same boat..the one that has oars..I am not computer savvy at all, nor do I care to be. I just put a message out to my facebook survivor friends to see if any of them are. I would like to do a website and blog so that I am able to link all the cancer organizations I work with from there. If only one person is helped by being able to find what they need in the fight of their life than I will feel I have made a difference.
I checked out your blog, nice job.

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Facebook would be a great way to get your method across. Then you can use it as a blog as well as uploading photo's and it won't cost you anything - you can save your money for souvenieres!

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel