Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

RTW trip shoes

wt12

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 5th, 2011
Hi all,

Me and my boyfriend are currently in the early stages of planning a RTW trip so we're making lots of lists of what we need and such. We're planning on going in autumn 2012 or spring 2013.

Since this summer we want to spend 2 weeks in Norway (maybe including some hiking), we thought we might as well buy some good shoes now that would be good for the RTW trip as well.

So my question is, what should we look for in a nice pair of all-round shoes? During our RTW trip we definitely want to do some hiking (maybe in Canada) and we would like to wear the same pair of shoes on a daily basis too. So when it comes to footwear, we would only maybe have a pair of sandals in addition for the beach/shower/whatever.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated.

Ana

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I went everywhere (including some hiking) in Keens Newport sandals. I took a pair of boots but gave them away after surviving even in the snow in my Newports (with two pairs of woolen socks). Now at home I still wear only those shoes. After three years of daily use they are starting to show a bit of wear and tear. Not baf really.
When I travel again I would also pack a pair of flip-flops for the beach and showers.

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I mostly wore a single pair of sandles on my trip because they were multiple-functional and comfortable. I bought other shoes but shoes are bulky and I left them behind in hostels. A good second pair of tennis shoes might be good for hiking. Boots are so darn bulky! Still, you gotta decide what's right for you and you can donate anything!

Cheers,
Renee
(from my temporary place of residence after my awesome RTW)

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 6th, 2011
I am the opposite of the previous posters. I am more of a shoe guy instead of sandals.

I started off with a pair of sports sandals, Teva something...but I ended up buying a pair of Salomon trail runners one month into my trip...and it's been my staple ever since. I carried those Tevas around and made a mistake of going to the beach in them (seawater makes funny smells). The funny smells also never really went away, even after washing them with sandal soap. I eventually decided I was tired of carrying those sandals around and gave them to a man in India who had no shoes. I still wear my Salomons.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2011
Another take on this question would be - what do you like? Do you prefer closed-in shoes or a more open sandal? (One poster liked shoes, I prefer sandals but with a protected toe). Do you like the look of one shoe over another? Does colour matter to you? Comfort is all important.

I think you're on the right track by considering taking just one pair of whatever.....what that turns out to be will very much be a personal preference.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2011
If I'm doing any kind of heavy pack backpacking, I prefer a hiking type shoe hopefully with ankle support, though I did fine with a pair of Merrel water shoes when carrying only a 40 liter pack, weighing only 10 kilos.

If I'm not heavy pack backpacking, I do fine with a hiking shoe rather than a full hiking boot most of the time. I love my Merrell water shoes, especially in hot climes, except they really aren't meant for walking in the water. The soles stop working properly and get destroyed. The feet get wet, and then you get blisters. Far better to have waterproof shoes at this juncture if you think you will be hiking in wet climes, or climes where mud could creep into low shoes very easily.

So, it depends on where you intend to go.

I now wear a pair of Hi-tech supposedly waterproof hiking boots, but they're over two years old and they're literally falling apart. Hi-techs do that, though they are LIGHT and COMFORTABLE for hiking boots.

They did very well in the winter, by the way, when I wore thick socks.

Some people hike in Keens, I used to like another kind of water shoe, chaco canyones, really made for the water, but my feet changed or they changed the curvature of the sole, and now the arch is in the wrong place for my foot. It causes me pain. I never use them anymore.

I wouldn't carry serious loads in anything but a full hiking boot in moderate to cold climes, if only because they have far better ankle support. It only takes one turned ankle to ruin a few days of hiking.

I moved to Merrels, as i said.

MaCheezm0

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2011
I personally used Gore-Tex Waterproof Trail Running Shoes from Salomon. I did hikes in the rain, it has traction and was waterproof. Walked in the city all day, if it was comfortable to run in them, it was comfortable to walk in them as well. Lighter than hiking boots. Waterproof is a preference tho. Regular Trail Running Shoes will breathe better than the Gore-Tex ones. It just all depends on where you are going, when you are going, and what you are going to do when you get there.

redleader

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2011
Shoes will make or break your trip and experience.

If you weren't doing any hiking, I'd say get a pair of Ecco casual shoes. Very durable (especially the soles), very lightweight and comfortable. I'd say get a versatile style, something that would look decent going into a good restaurant or church, but could also be worn with shorts.

Avoid loud color or designs.

I'm personally against any open-toe shoes/sandals, outside of beaches and showers. Lack of proper ankle support and toe protection are reasons enough to render such footwear impractical and unsafe.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2011
Wear my Keene sandals, yes they have enclosed toes, daily & don't them unsafe with no ankle protection. :)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

wt12

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2011
Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I apologize for not writing back sooner, but somehow I did not get any notifications that anyone replied and I was quite busy at work, so I completely forgot to check back here.

We also did some research and we saw some nice Salomon Goretex hiking shoes - a regular hiking shoe with nice ankle support. I have a feeling that's important for long walks and hiking and I think I'd feel more comfortable in something like that than in sandals. Sandals always seem like they're not that durable and if it rains you're in a bit of trouble :)

To answer Mama-to-many, the colour does not matter. I think the darker the better, cause then dirt is not so obvious on them. And the type, as I said, probably a medium-light hiking shoe with ankle support.

Seeing that some people did it like this on their RTWs then I guess it can't be a bad idea, especially since we'd be wearing them almost all the time, so it's not a question of carrying them. So we'll just go to an outdoor shop and try some shoes on and see which ones are quite light and comfortable and just go for them. In the end we get to try them out this summer in Norway so we'll see then if they were a good choice.

Thanks again to all of you for replying, it has been helpful.

Ana

mas que amigos

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2011
i also have a pair of salomon gore-tex trail runners. definitely great all around pair of shoes.

http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pr ... a-gtx.html

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2011
I prefer something a bit more substantial - while I do carry a pair of Keen sandals, my primary shoe is most definitely a light hiker, such as the Vasque Breeze http://www.cave-crag.co.uk/3550/Vasque-Breeze-XCR-Boot.html?referrer=froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid3550. On my last RTW trip I used the New Balance light hiker http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___33128. Can't recommend this enough. They are tough enough for everything short of Everest and light enough to wear every day. Hope you have a good and comfortable trip!

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets