Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Safe for a jew to travel to Lebanon/Syria?

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 16th, 2008
So if you eat Vegetarian in hostels that have kitchens, you won't starve,and if you find a Kosher Butcher, you can eat well. fyou include fresh fish,which most cities have, you'll eat well.

Can you eat smoked fish? I love smoked Mackerel, for example.Then there is salted fish, which the Spanish and portugese love.

Interesting.

Now, if i had restriction, being a lazy eater, I'd bring about 2 kilos of Matzoh, Dried fruits, dried homemade beef jerky, 4 kilos of that, and add butter. (Margarine is probably LESS kosher, especially the ones with butterfats)

Even then I'd have to go to Istanbul and stock up on the probably one Kosher store that exists.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

World Traveller

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 12th, 2008
As long as you don't wear clothes that show your religion, speak about it in public, you will be fine. Not all Lebanese hate Israel, just the SHIA. Many Christians are fine with Israel.

Lebanon is a fun palce to visit, albeit unstable at time. am there now, hit me up if you need help.

Traveling Joe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 21st, 2011
What would happen if I went to Beirut but hid all signs of Jewishness. I am an orthodox American guy. What would happen if they find my prayer book or teffilin?

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 24th, 2011
Traveling Joe wrote:What would happen if I went to Beirut but hid all signs of Jewishness. I am an orthodox American guy. What would happen if they find my prayer book or teffilin?

This isn't a simple question to answer. There is a tiny - but non-zero - Jewish population in Lebanon. There hasn't been an official census since 1932, but the 2008 estimate was approximately 1000 people. They're not getting beaten up every day or anything.

But the flip side is that people who live there understand where the lines are, where is safe and where is not. A visitor isn't always going to know these things. It's a complicated country, and the results of getting "found out" are going to depend on the individual who's found you out. What sect are they part of (there are 17 officially recognised sects), and their wealth and education level. A Hezbollah supporter is going to react differently than someone with a pro-western view.

On the whole, it's not something I'd be comfortable recommending, but if it's something you really want to do, it will probably turn out just fine. Most people in the world are far more friendly and helpful than the TV news would have you believe.

Traveling Joe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 26th, 2011
Wow didn't expect such an educated answer! Thanks! What would you say to a one day stopover in beirut would that be a sensible compromise? This way I can somewhat feel out the city but won't be around that long. Perhaps I won't even overnight. I really want to fly from London to ethiopia and there's a flight via Beirut so I figured may be worth getting out for a bit in a foreign nation.

Previous

Return to Middle East Travel