Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

Safety in San Salvador

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 1st, 2011
You're gettin' yerself all whipped up, busman, ain't ya?

I've been to the city several times. I've been told, on each visit, countless times, by the locals, to be off the streets when it gets dark... I generally don't heed such advice. I've seen violence in the streets, drunks rousting other drunks. I've been in neighbourhoods where I attracted something akin to a parade as I walked through. You will find, if you're REALLY bored, a post where I talk about San Salvador as the only place that I know of where, if you see a shadow step out on the street with a shotgun and face you, you feel better, as it's usually a security guard. I've fought off one brief(and ill-conceived)mugging attempt in the centre. Broken bottle vs My closed Leatherman.

...and I've been out on the streets at night and had locals RUSH out of their businesses and tell me to get off the streets. I've been told it's too dangerous out there at night. My first journal had a page solely for phone numbers of San Salvadoreans who offered their services if I got into serious trouble at night....Sorry, but I am more inclined to trust the opinion of a local who's lived there all his life than an angry and disenfranchised Canuck who has left his home country because he finds CANADA too violent and has inexplicably taken offense to others' take on a place he doesn't even live in.

I'm not going to duel website info. You think it's safe, great, say it''s safe for the next poster. I'll come on and say it ain't so much. What are you after exactly? Are you hoping for a tourism spike in the town? What the fuck is there to see, exactly? It's a shithole on the order of Guat City or
San Pedro Sula, or Teguz....I feel so strongly about it that I will say it makes Panama City look like the Emerald City. You don't even live in the place. Is your DST buddy part of the city selectmen or something?
Last edited by Piecar on March 2nd, 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Good Luck Out There.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2011
David is a shithole, but nowhere near as dangerous as San Salvador. Or Flin Flon.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 2nd, 2011
Changed the post above, Hat, as you are correct....I have never known David to be dangerous, and one could infer that I meant it to be considered dangerous. I stand by 'shithole' though....especially in recent times. There is almost nothing at all to do there...'Cept in baseball season, I guess.

....but now your post makes no sense.....
Good Luck Out There.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 10th, 2011
Find it interesting that I just read on a US Route 66 forum,advise given to a tourist to Chicago, the transit system is safe but advise against using it at night or early in the morning.

Kind of seems like what I've been saying all along. ;)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2011
Because one place is rough, it means another isn't? Spurious logic my angry friend.
Good Luck Out There.

Previous

Return to Central America Travel