Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Saigon (HCMC): Airport to Dist 1 taxi rates ?

aguadulche

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: saigon, vietnam, transportation
  • Added on: November 3rd, 2011
I will be reaching HCMC at midnight from Seoul,S.Korea. Is there a prepaid taxi stand ? If not what is the best alternative to asking the hotel to send a pickup cab ? We'll be two of us.

Aliantraveler

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

There are taxis at the international terminal, but you must be careful. DO NOT take an unlicensed cab or one without a meter and ONLY take a Vinsasun or Mai Linh taxi, which have a meter that works correctly. Last year the best place to grab one was upstairs at departure level rather that arrivals - it is toutsville. Watch out for fakes (Vinason or Vinasum, for example), whose meters will run faster. I once got in a fake Vinasun cab without looking closely and, after I got in, the driver removed all the identifying marks - cost me 3x the normal rate but I considered myself lucky to be alive and not in the Saigon river.

To be honest, if it is your first trip to SGN and the hotel will arrange a taxi I would spend a couple extra dollars (cost difference should be $5 or so) and avoid the hassle. SGN Int'l at midnight is a zoo.

aguadulche

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Aliantraveler wrote:
To be honest, if it is your first trip to SGN and the hotel will arrange a taxi I would spend a couple extra dollars (cost difference should be $5 or so) and avoid the hassle. SGN Int'l at midnight is a zoo.

Yes it is. If it were otherwise, I would not have asked :D There are prepaid Taxis in India, Mexico, and many other places I have traveled to, so I thought it would be good to ask.

Thanks again.

Return to Asia Travel