Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

san antonio to Eagle Pass, Texas

Zopa

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 11th, 2005
hi folks. if you know the answer to this question: do you know of a good shuttle van/bus company you would recommend for this trip (a single female)? then maybe you could also tell me a thing or two about san antonio (im going to stay with friends in a little desert town for a week in december in mexico and am staying over in s.a. for a short time too)
peace, zopa
Celebrating my 1800th POST!

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2005
Hey chickie!

You could chance it and take a bus company from Piedras Negras (or Eagle Pass) to San Antonio. I'm not sure what bus companies run it. I went to Monterrey from Austin with a Mexican bus company called Americanos, and they were satisfactory (much better than some busses I've ridden on). Nothing special. You'll pay alot more for going with an American company.

Some notes..if you're flying into Mexico, you'll get one visa. Now if you're leaving overland, you may need a different visa. The only reason why I know this is because when I was crossing the border back to the states, 3 of us were detained by the Mexican officials because we did not have visas. 2 of us came by bus, and one flew in and was leaving overland. The guy hassled the lady who flew in and left overland -- she needed a different visa for crossing overland. Bizarre, yeah. Who knows, just something to look into. The customs aren't exactly the nicest people.

San Antonio..hmm...not an extremely exciting city (I'm biased, I lived there and got bored quickly Razz ), but here are a few things that you could do...
- Visit the Alamo, La Villita (cool shopping area), El Mercado (Mexican marketplace), Hemisfair park and the Tower of Americas, Institute of Texan Cultures, and the Riverwalk (all in downtown, not too far from each other).

- Visit the historic missions - may need a car to do this

- You can visit the university I wasted 4 years at..nah, it's not worth it Razz

What part of town will you be staying at in SA?

Zopa

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 13th, 2005
shoot marisa you are over 2000 posts better watch out!!!
um, now i have a crazy idea: instead of hanging in a "boring city" for 3 days im looking into dude ranches. id rather be in a rural area than another us city.
zopa
Celebrating my 1800th POST!

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2005
Dude ranch..well, then you'll be close to the right spot! You know, I once hooked up with a guy that worked at the Flying L Dude Ranch! Cracking Up

Check out Bandera, TX (pop. 900-something) -- located about 50 miles NW of downtown San Antonio in the rolling hills, and nicknamed "Cowboy Capital of the World". It's a beautiful area -- I used to take driving trips around there just for the change of pace.

Here are some links for you to check out:

Bandera Convention and Visitors Bureau - a lot of dude ranch links on this site

Hill Country Visitor guide to Bandera

Brief history of Bandera

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 15th, 2005
I liked the few days I spent in San Antonio. The River Walk, Alamo, surrounding area...then down to the market to check things out. I didn't find it all that boring.

joanw

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2005
I drove through San Antonio with my friend on our way to Florida. Though historical I was a little disappointed in the Alamo. I thought it was smaller and the gift shop seemed bigger than the actual Alamo itself. (Then again I envisioned that Alamo like that movie Pee Wee's Big Adventure where it was big and they gave tours. I really enjoyed the River Walk but apparently they have river walks in lots of other cities. I liked this place called Dics where the waiters were all hot and they were supposed to be a dick to you. Something different i guess.

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2005
Dick's Last Stand! Yeah, they refused to serve my drunk friend on her 21st.

Return to USA & Canada Travel