Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

San Cristobal to Mexico City how?

Kuros

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 4th, 2010
Hi everyone!

I'm currently in Xela, Guatemala, and rather than fly back, I am thinking of traveling through Mexico to Mexico City and flying back home from there. I'd like to see some more of Central America before I leave...

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how I can get from San Cristobal de las Casa to Mexico City? I have heard the Mexican bus system is great, but I can't seem to find ticket prices or schedules.

I can take a shuttle from Xela to San Cristobal, so my only problem is getting from SC to Mexico City. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially price and time.

Thanks!

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

Don't worry about it. You won't have any trouble at all. Here is (just one) bus company that can get you from SCdC to Mexico City. I'm sure there are other ways to slice the apple. Maybe break up the trip with a stop in Oaxaca, etc. But service in Mexico is great, but not nearly as cheap as parts of Central America. This site has you looking at a 13+ hour trip, for between $950 - $1150 MXP.

http://www.ado.com.mx/ado/index.jsp

Kuros

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Oh, wow, that is easy. Thanks!

Oaxaca seems interesting...are there any other places that you (or anyone) would recommend a stop at?

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

You can get to Mexico City by bus from ANYWHERE within Mexico. That I can guarantee. As to "interesting places to stop"....depends on your interests. Have fun!

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

ADO is a pretty good company, if memory serves.

The thing about Mexican buses is that you usually get what you pay for. If you pay for a Bus Executivo, its pretty swank for a bus, if I recall.

There are more than a few companies that go from San Cristobal to Mexico city, but don't be in a hurry to leave San Cristobal. its a pretty cool place to hang out it. Also, if you want to see some interesting things, you can get a bus to the Frontera, and from there take a collectivo from the Frontera to Comitan. From there you can see the pretty amazing Lagos de Montebello. I don't dare give lodging recommendations, since Dona Maria is doubtless retired, and her daughter is not as special. But, if they're still around, its called La Orquidera.

If Dona Maria is still around, she's an interesting person to know.

From Comitan, you can easily get a collectivo or real bus to San Cristobal. Don't hang around Comitan too much. its a pretty normal city, dry, dusty, and boring.

Ok- you've seen San Cristobal, savored it, and after Guatemala, it will seem a civilised haven unless you've stayed in lago Atitlan, or perhaps Copan Honduras.

From there the next big stop will be Oaxaca. Its a big city, and there is plenty to see.

Palenque is definitely worth seeing, and buses go there from San Cristobal, or sometimes, one goes to palenque and then San Cristobal.

Puebla is the next largest city, and its said to be pretty beautiful. I've not seen it myself.

Also, if you're heading for the States by land, its worthwhile to see Creel and the Copper canyon before you get to the border. The train from Los Mochis to Creel is pretty cool. They run a cheaper train every other day. It returns to Chihuaha. At this time, you might want to avoid the city as much as possible. its had some safety issues in the news. Other areas.....

Morelia- the region and the city. Lago Patzquaro is really interesting
Volcan Paricutin
Queretaro
Guanajuato

There are many other places in midland Mexico. I've not been a fan of the beach, but Zippolite and that coastal area is said to be quite beautiful and relatively cheap.

Mexico is not as cheap as Guatemala, so you need to watch your spending if you're getting lean.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 7th, 2010
TicketBus has online schedules for buses in Mexico. From Chiapas (San Cristobal), there will be OCC and ADO (GL) buses running to Mexico City, taking probably 13-15 hours. Both are very comfortable. ADO-GL is the ultra-luxury bus. Be sure to have some warm clothes with. San Cristobal is chilly, and the buses really turn up the air-conditioning. You'll freeze overnight if you're in shorts and a t-shirt.

Return to Central America Travel