Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

San Diego to Panama

yanks26dmb

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 26th, 2010
So I've been planning a RTW scheduled to leave in fall 2011, but thinking I just can't make it that long. I need to take a solid 3-4 week trip before then. I have always looked over Central America for some reason...living in San Diego, Mexico is right in my backyard. I was thinking about hitting up southern mexico for a week or two, then continuing on to one other country..really anywhere in between mexico and panama.

Any idea what would be the cheapest way to get from San Diego to whatever that country may? Buses I'm guessing? I really know nothing about this part of the globe..can anyone fill me in?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

yanks26dmb wrote:So I've been planning a RTW scheduled to leave in fall 2011, but thinking I just can't make it that long. I need to take a solid 3-4 week trip before then. I have always looked over Central America for some reason...living in San Diego, Mexico is right in my backyard. I was thinking about hitting up southern mexico for a week or two, then continuing on to one other country..really anywhere in between mexico and panama.

Any idea what would be the cheapest way to get from San Diego to whatever that country may? Buses I'm guessing? I really know nothing about this part of the globe..can anyone fill me in?

3-4 weeks isn't enough for Mexico, let alone Mexico plus another country in Central America. A bus from Tijuana to southern Mexico will cost at least $150 each way, and take at least two days. I'd do the Coppen Canyon railway en route, spend some time in and around Mexico City, move on to Oaxaca and Chiapas, and fly back to SD from Mexico City.

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Ditto on Felix the Hat. Spend two days in Creel and take a bus down the Copper Canyon, visit the Tarahumura indians. Mexico would be a smarter trip considering the costs of transport.

More specific itinerary to follow if I can get up a map of Mexico and see about proper tiiming of itinerary, more or less.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

yanks26dmb

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 27th, 2010
yeah, sounds like I'll just stick to Mexico.

Any ideas if 40 USD a day could cover me down there?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 27th, 2010
yanks26dmb wrote:Any ideas if 40 USD a day could cover me down there?

That's budget, but possible in Mexico. Keep in mind that buses, while very comfortable, are expensive in Mexico, and will quickly take a bite out of your budget. Figure $4/hour of travel time.

Return to Central America Travel