Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

San Francisco to Vancouver

a601mom

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 2nd, 2008
If you do decide to cut over from Arcata to I-5 to go through Mt. Shasta- when you get to Redding where you will hit I-5- Stop at the Sun Dial Bridge- a wonderful pedesrian bridge desined by the renowned architect Santiago Calatrava.
"What happens in Central America, will happen, when it happens and if it happens"

a601mom

Share on Orkut

Also, Amtrak has a train from Seattle to Vancouver which might solve your transportation problem or an even more scenic solution would be the Washington ferry to Victoria and the BC ferry to Vancouver.
"What happens in Central America, will happen, when it happens and if it happens"

KathrynD

Share on Orkut

Regarding bookstores:
I've been thinking about the original question on book stores. If you get to Eureka, go to Second Street (Old town Eureka) and look there. I remember a couple of used bookstores there that are fun to browse through. If you get 6 miles further north on 101 to Arcata, try Tin Can Mailman as well. It's on the Arcata plaza which is has some nice shops and eateries on it.

San Francisco has a ton of great bookstores. Embarrassingly, I hardly ever get up there even though it's only a half hour away from where I live. When I did used to go there, I'd go to the Green Apple Books on Clement and to the Mystery bookstore in Noe Valley.

If you make it to Berkeley/Oakland and you like science fiction, fantasy, horror and/or mystery, you must must must go to Dark Carnival. That is my most favorite bookstore ever.
Just seeing the tchotchkes they have at Dark Carnival - they have all sorts of little plastic horror toys you never see anywhere else. Need a UFO which buzzes and flashes lights as it bumps around your house, get it there.

For food:
If you do go to Oakland, on Piedmont Ave, go to LoCoco's for penne al sugo. It's wonderful.
And in San Francisco, go out on Geary to 23rd and eat Thai food at Khan Toke. Food and atmosphere are both great. Just make sure not to have socks with holes because you have to leave your shoes with the shoeman.

gypsysoul

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2008
Thank you so much for all your tips! You guys are great! Smile
http://gypsysoul73.blogspot.com

Skyehiker

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2008
Or, you can take Amtrak from the Bay Area up there. They have special trains/routes/fares that can be really flexible & include stops along the way. They have options for taking your bike along. A couple of friends of mine just did that a month ago and LOVED it a LOT more than they expected.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

kiwi16

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2008
I found bootsnall by accident when I was searching for info on a car trip from San Francisco to Vancouver, and wow this thread has been a real help. We are hoping to visit the US in summer 2009 and stay with relations just north of SF and travel north for a couple of weeks, just have to get used to driving on the other side of the road!
Any suggestions for good places to stay on the way north, that is not to expensive, maybe a good hotel chain or other?
Will be travelling with my wife and son, would do some camping but my other half does not like that at all. Thanks to you all for the info above and I look forward to being part of Bootsnall.

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2008
should you decide to stop in portland the hostel here is fantastic. and in a wonderful neighborhood. and there are also some beautiful stops along the oregon coast.
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

MrHappy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 6th, 2009
I know this is an old post but I'm taking this trip this year and I'm trying to decide where I'm going to stop along the way. I've decided to stop in Seattle and take public transport to Vancouver but am wondering what's better. Ferry, bus or train?
When I look up Amtrak on google, there are loads of different stations in Seattle, which is the one for getting to Vancouver. I'm trying to work out the best place to return my rental car.

All suggestions welcome.

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 6th, 2009
My parents did the reverse trip via Amtrak in late 2007 and that ended up being an Amtrak bus anyway. I think there's more services that use the bus than the train, but they leave from the same place I believe.

If you take the Amtrak Cascades train/bus, the station in Seattle is on Jackson street.

As far as I know there is no ferry from Seattle direct to Vancouver, but you can catch a ferry to Victoria and then another to Vancouver if you're willing to take that time.

Hopefully you'll stop in Portland on your way up as well. We reckon it's a pretty cool spot. :)
What makes an Indie traveler? Discuss the Indie Travel Manifesto
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

MrHappy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 7th, 2009
Thanks Hydro, yeah definitely will be stopping off in Portland for at least one night. Is there anything that I really shouldn't miss.

Having read reviews of the train I think I'll end up taking the bus from Jackson Street. I would love to drive but the drop off fee crossing a border is too much.

Thanks again, and if there's anything else anyone recommends along the way I'd love to hear it. At the moment I'm thinking of San Francisco-(coast road) Eureaka, then inland to Redding, up to Klamath falls, Gleneden Beach, Portland, Mount Rainier, Seattle.

Earlier in this forum someone warned about making the drive inland to Klamath and the crater if there was a fog. How reliably are the forecasters able to predict this? Would it be a totally wasted trip if the weather was bad?

TravelBandit

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 9th, 2009
I agree with the posters who suggested taking the train. The route from SF to Seattle is great ; I did this several years ago and really enjoyed it (see my travelogue). Amtrak trains are WAY more comfortable than buses! From Seattle the ferry ride to Victoria on Vancouver Island is itself spectacular. From Victoria it is easy to take a ferry from Vancouver Island to the mainland and a bus to Vancouver (a short distance).

So I suggest SF-Seattle-Victoria-Vancouver.
http://www.PaulKilfoil.co.za/Leisure.aspx (travelogues & photos from 1987)

MrHappy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2009
Thanks for that TravelBandit,

My trip seems very tame compared to yours. I was tired just reading about it. I'm in San Francisco now after a great start in Vegas and Death Valley(well worth the trip when you're so close-hot though!) I'm definitely going to drive to Seattle, it's the Seattle to Vancouver bit that I was curious about, but that ferry trip sounds like a good idea either going there or for the way back.

I'm still wondering whether or not to drive inland to lake Klamath though. An earlier post about visibility has put me off.

Thanks again.

Previous

Return to USA & Canada Travel