What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Scandinavian black licorice appreciation!

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 11th, 2005
Ye of non-Northern heritage know not the delights of which I speak... more than likely you are disgusted and or slightly horrified by black licorice of the salty variety. This discussion is not for you Smile

My sentimental favorites come from Finland:

But I've known Danish varieties that are AMAZINGLY, MOUTHWATERINGLY tasty, and Swedish fish and cats are good too. But I dont know what they are called so I cant post pics.

Honorable mention goes to the Dutch black licorice, which is for some reason easier to find in the States, but less consistent in delicious flavor, sometimes too strong, sometimes just gross.... but any country with a whole section of the candy shop devoted to black licorice is cool with me.
<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>*<>

TylerDurden

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Icelandic licorice is mighty tasty.... IMHO.

Michelle@yourlife

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

I had a Swedish roomate in college who was always trying to get me to eat the black licorice. I just couldn't get into it. So when I was living in the Netherlands, I promised her I would eat some there. First, I don't really like black licorice. I prefer red, which isn't really licorice at all. But i can't understand why they are salty?!?!?! I tried, but I just couldn't hack it. Is this an aquired taste or do people pretty much form opinions right off the bat?
Michelle

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

LOL

I dont know why some like it and some do not... I'm guessing genetics? Pre-internet it was damn near IMPOSSIBLE to get in the states, my fam would send special packages, and I was so fiendish for the salty licorice that I would eat the pieces my American friends would spit out almost instantly (5 second rule?)

Tyler Durden, the first rule of Icelandic licorice, is that you must tell me more! about Icelandic licorice... is it salty?

borderland

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 12th, 2005
I think it might be genetic not to like licorice, because I get a dry-heave reaction to licorice, anise, and any products like Ouzo, or Sambucca which have that taste.
Even black jellybeans are bad.

If you live somewhere where you can get the American red licorice sticks like Twizzlers, try putting them into your coke and ice at the movies. They freeze up in a minute and give you a new taste sensation Smile
'I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.'
J. Handey

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I need to ask you all to stop with the red "licorice" advocacy in my Sacndinavian licorice appreciation thread. thanks in advance.

But speaking of licorice-flavored spirits, Finns have invented one for the ages.

Salmiakki Koskenkorva

Salmiakki Koskenkorva is one of the craziest drinks in the world, and in Finland its consumption is arguably a national pastime. A derivative of Koskenkorva Viina, a popular Finnish vodka, the booze is made by dissolving a pungent salted black licorice (salmiakki) into the vodka. This completely smothers the taste of the alcohol, making you think you're drinking sweet candy juice when in reality you're downing 76-proof hard liquor. Dangerous, but fun!

The treacherous concoction actually killed a few people back in the early '90s, so the Finnish parliament decided to ban the stuff. Never ones for the alcohol-regulated life, the Finns responded by simply making their own version on a mass scale, so the government eventually gave up and lifted the ban. Koskenkorva is actually a small town in Finland that translates as "dead water in the rapids," and the label on the back of the bottle is intentionally upside down, so you can read it while you drink.

An alternative name is Salmiakkikossu, and it's commonly referred to as "Flakpanzer Fuel." Sadly, Salmiakki Koskenkorva is not available outside Finland, but here's how you can make an equivalent: get your hands on any brand of Scandinavian salted licorice candies, crush them and dissolve them in warm water until you have a thick solution. Let the stuff cool and pour it into a bottle of any unflavored vodka. You may have to try this a few times in order to get the proportions right, but it's either that or go to Finland instead.

--Gary Singh

Dopplegangerr

Share on Orkut

my family is danish and dutch, and we always eat this stuff. i love it, i dont know if ive ever tried it from finland though. i will look into.
i will defenatly try putting some in the vodka, it could be very interesting. lol as if vodka wasent dangerus enuff, ill make it taste like candie.
great thread
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out My Blog for 2006, and see pictures from previous trips.

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Dopplegangerr:
my family is danish and dutch, and we always eat this stuff. i love it, i dont know if ive ever tried it from finland though. i will look into.
i will defenatly try putting some in the vodka, it could be very interesting. lol as if vodka wasent dangerus enuff, ill make it taste like candie.
great thread

yay! I knew I'd find you, oh licorice lover! Truth be told, the Danish candies *may* be the finest, but I have to do more research to be sure. If you know any of the brand names, you could post up some pics perhaps?

A tip on the vodka: the easiest candy to crush up and dissolve is HARD candy, not chewy. This is the one I've used: I think that is the Swedish name on the package, the Finnish name is Turkin Pippuri (both meaning Turkish Pepper) a.k.a. BOMBS because inside the hard candy shell, there is that yellowy powder that makes your mouth tingle.

Dopplegangerr

Share on Orkut

haha i will try to find those ones for sure.
i dotn know if i will have time but i will see if i can find some brand names.
i think it has to be a family thing to like these, casue no one out side of my family enjoys them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Check out My Blog for 2006, and see pictures from previous trips.

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 13th, 2005
quote:
Originally posted by Dopplegangerr:
haha i will try to find those ones for sure.
i dotn know if i will have time but i will see if i can find some brand names.
i think it has to be a family thing to like these, casue no one out side of my family enjoys them.

ah no worries, just remember this thread if the chance arises; I found another recipe for the vodka, it involves a dishwasher, lol check it out

I love the Simpson's tie-in LOL

Kath

Share on Orkut

Mmmmmm.... salty licorice Big Grin

If any of you are in the States, you can find the stuff in the Cost Plus World Markets. If you're also into non-salty black licorice, they're always for sale in health food stores...

Have you had salty licorice chewing gum? Extra makes it here in Norway. Yum!

Kath
There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark.

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Kath:
Mmmmmm.... salty licorice Big Grin

Have you had salty licorice chewing gum? Extra makes it here in Norway. Yum!

Kath

YES! Good one Kath! Here is the Finnish brand I am familiar with

I will be in Norway next summer, doing serious research on scandinavian licorice, and the Extra brand gum is on my list!

Glad to hear Norwegians too know the joy of the sal-ammoniac Big Grin

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2005
quote:
Originally posted by mina olen:
speaking of licorice-flavored spirits, Finns have invented one for the ages.

oh snap, I just noticed the guy laid out on the bed on the background of this picture lol... notice the bliss-out look on his face Big Grin

whalewatcher

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2005
Hurrah! Hurrah! A salty liquorice thread!!

The stuff is fiendishly difficult to get in the UK, and 'dutchliquorice.com' only seems to sell wholesale -- so I'll have to go to Amsterdam on a liquorice-run to replenish supplies soon.

Did you know that that moreish salty taste derives from ammonium chloride? For a while I was tempted to concoct my own from normal sweet liquorice (with proper sweetwood extract) and AC from the lab -- but consuming lab chemicals is not advisable really...

But Tyrkisk Peber in vodka? -Ouch!

mina olen

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 20th, 2005
I am glad you brought up the sal-ammoniac whale watcher, I've been doing some research on it, and I really really want to know who first thought of eating this stuff?? and are there any side-effects from long-term consumption? on second thought... maybe better not to know?? lol

In any case, this thread makes my mouth water

& the vodka is out of control! I cant wait to go to Finland this summer hehehe

what I found so far:

Ammonium chloride or Sal Ammoniac (chemically ammonium chloride (NH4Cl); also zalmiak, sal armagnac) is, in its pure form, a clear white crystalline salt. Historically it was considered one of the four alchemical "spirits". In modern times it found use as an electrolyte for batteries, and as cough medicine. Its expectorant action is caused by irritative action on the bronchial mucosa. This causes the production of excess respiratory tract fluid which presumably is easier to cough up. (There is little evidence that expectorants actually work.) The main commercial use for ammonium chloride is as a fertilizer for use when growing rice. Other uses include a feed supplement for cattle, in hair shampoo, in the glue that bonds plywood, and as an ingredient in nutritive media for yeast. It is also used in cleaning products.

Sal Ammoniac was named after it was observed in the Temple of Zeus-Ammon in Egypt; its name means "salt of Ammon". It was the white crystalline substance that remained on the ceiling and walls after camel dung was burned. The modern name "ammonium" comes from Sal Ammoniac.

An industrial byproduct, in several countries sal ammoniac is used to spice up liquorice-type dark candies, and as a flavoring for vodkas. It is sold in blocks at hardware stores for use in cleaning the tip of a soldering iron and can also be included in solder as flux.

Next

Return to Food & Travel