Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

SE Asia Visas

katherine brandt

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: visa, se asia
  • Added on: June 1st, 2012
I am trying to determine which Southeast Asia visas I need to obtain before I leave on my trip and where I can buy them at point of entry.(If there is already a post on this, I apologize and please send the link. Searching the forum for visas returned too many responses to sort through!)

I (US citizen) am planning to visit: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos, & Vietnam. I will have a Vietnam visa before I leave the US. I have heard that:
- You can buy an Indonesia visa in the airport (I plan to enter in DPS/Bali).
- You can buy Cambodia and Laos at point of entry but only entry via overland and not airport. Aiport visas need to be obtained in US prior to departure

I am clueless on the rest. Can anyone share their first hand experience on visas for the countries above? Confirm or correct my understanding?
Much appreciated!

Fluffy_bunny

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 2nd, 2012
Vietnam is the only one that need to be prearranged.

As you know, Indonesia can be attained on arrival at the airport.

You do not need a visa for Malaysia or SIngapore for stays of 90 days.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... quirements

Thailand you do not need a visa. You will be given 15 days if arriving overland and 30 days at the airport
http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/th ... icans.html

The Laos visa can be attained at border AND airports.

You can also get Cambodia on arrival

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2012
Check out the embassy websites for the countries you intend to travel they will have all the entry requirements for their country for your Nationality and it will be up to date.
In the first instant Visa's are based on you Nationality.
Take with you passport size photographs you'll most certainly need some for the Visa's.

travelbug35

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2012
I wanted to share my experience with getting our Vietnam Visas. We got our in Phnom Penh, Cambodia and they took about 2 days to get. We found it is cheaper to go through a travel agent and have them get it for you. They even copied our passport photos to use for the visa photo at no extra charge. And for those in a time crunch, we had a friend who needed a Vietnam visa quickly to travel with us. He showed up at the travel agent on a Sunday late in the afternoon and it was ready to pick up by 11am Monday morning. Hey paid $15 extra to have the visa rushed. So, you don't have to get the Vietnam visa ahead... this was something I was unsure of before we left for our trip.

marat

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2012
Does any one know the local (Vietnam) link or government agency where I could find the information about their visa regime and requirements?

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2012
projectvisa.com is very useful

Lucky Luke

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 13th, 2012
For Cambodia you can also buy an e-visa online in advance.

It costs USD$5 more than getting it at the border and there are restrictions on which borders you can enter at but does mean you have the peace of mind knowing that it's all paid for and you're not going to fall victim to any dodgy border guards or "visa facilitation fees" (aka: stupid tourist tax)

The link is: http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/
(typically non-official looking website but I swear it's legit; we used it with absolutely no hassle last June)

Hays

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 15th, 2012
Laos Website: "Thai baht and Lao kip may sometimes be accepted for the fees but at unfavorable exchange rates."

Kinda cracks me up that they're this upfront about it...

Some great links here, answered a lot of questions I didn't know I had!
My Kind of Crazy
Urban Guesthouses and Hospitality Consulting | Seville, Spain
(we also participate in work-exchange programs, contact for more information)

Bideshi

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 24th, 2012
Yes to all the above.

I got my Vietnamese visa at the Vietnamese consulate in Khon Kaen, Thailand. I walked in, filled out the application and paid more money than I think it was worth, and walked out about 30 minutes later visa in hand. I probably got charged for expedited service or something.

Here's a good tip - during your inevitable acclimatization time around the BKK tourist hub of your choice, stock up on passport photos! Each visa at the border requires several of them, so have enough or you get charged a fee! Photos are cheap and easy to stock up on in BKK, though. DON'T pay a lot and get a bunch before you leave!

Larahelen

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 16th, 2012
There are two option for foreigner to apply for Vietnam visa. First they can apply online to get appproval letter. Second they can apply directly at the Embassy. If tourist need SE Asia Visas, I think apply online is the best option because they can save much time and companies can help them much to receive visa. They do not need waste their time to go.

Return to Asia Travel