Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Seeing Puffins Close Up in Iceland

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 22nd, 2013
My girlfriend and I have tried twice to see puffins, but we were in Iceland too late and Scotland too early. So my question has two parts:

[*]Where in Iceland is the best place to see puffins close up. Is it Heimaey? Latrabjarg in the Westfjords? We want to be able to get good pictures without having to climb a cliff.

[*]When is the best time to see the Icelandic puffins when they are at their most numerous?

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2013
Corvinus wrote:My girlfriend and I have tried twice to see puffins, but we were in Iceland too late and Scotland too early. So my question has two parts:

[*]Where in Iceland is the best place to see puffins close up. Is it Heimaey? Latrabjarg in the Westfjords? We want to be able to get good pictures without having to climb a cliff.

[*]When is the best time to see the Icelandic puffins when they are at their most numerous?

We got plenty close to puffins at Látrabjarg during July. But you will be shooting them while they move themselves about from the cliff edge and you are a few feet back.

It is even better at Skellig Michael (Ireland) where they hang out amongst the rocks around the pathway and you can get just as close. But, yes, you do have to hike up at least a few hundred feet before your reach them although you will not have to hike all the way to the top.

trappedintime456

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2013
I have heard that you can see them in Hornbjarg and Hælavíkurbjarg as well. These two, along with Látrabjarg are the three largest bird cliffs in Iceland. However, do be assured that Látrabjarg is the easiest to get to. And they say that the puffins here in Látrabjarg are much more trusting than any other place.

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 27th, 2013
Thanks for the advice. It looks like we'll go to the Westfjords rather than Heimaey on our puffin hunt.

Return to Europe Travel