Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Seeking the sun...

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 14th, 2013
Well I figure the best way to make sure the board has posts is to post some stuff. ;)

Looking for weekend getaways from Amsterdam (literally, Friday night to Sunday night/ Monday morning) taking advantage of budget flights from Schiphol- don't think it's worth it to make the trek down to Eindhoven airport for a getaway that brief, even if flights are cheaper. And the thing I dislike most about European winters honestly is the lack of daylight so heading south is tempting, though I realize most stuff is still quite out of season. So I guess the question is has anyone been somewhere in southern Europe in winter that was worth a weekend? Prolly not worth it for such a time period to North Africa/ Canaries/ etc is my thinking, unless someone has a different idea.

My instinctive reaction is to maybe head to a place like Lisbon, where even if it's not the usual season or as warm it's a big enough city that there's gotta be things going on. :) All ears for any better ideas though?

(Also now that I think of it, when do people usually start thinking beaches in the Mediterranean are getting warm enough? I was once on the coast in Croatia the first week of may and you could barely hang out on the beach on a good day, but that was really pushing it.)

Lucky Luke

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 22nd, 2013
Hi Yvette,

We just spent 5 days in Portugal over NYE and were actually surprised how warm it was (coming from the UK).
Porto was a bit warmer than Lisbon but in both cities we were able to walk around without jackets during the (and even stripped to t-shirts cimbing up to Bairro Alto!)

Everything was still open, we didn't feel the effect of being "off-season" at all, other than the glorious lack of crowds!

I liked Lisbon, it's a very cool city with a lot to do and see, but I absolutely loved Porto. If you've not been, I highly recommend. Loads of history and museums considering size of the town, as well as great food and cute bars and, when you feel like you've "done" Porto, jsut cross the river and explore Gaia instead.

Another suggestion would be southern Spain - we had a weekend in Seville at the start of December and that was also lovely and while not quite t-shirt weather, warm enough to take your coat off if sitting in the sun, out of the wind...

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 23rd, 2013
Thanks! Yeah I've heard great things about Porto but just can't really find direct flights there from Amsterdam this time of year (well you can if you go down to the budget airport of Eindhoven the budget airport, but I'm not terribly keen on the trek out there for just a short amount of time). Maybe when the season starts!

And Seville sounds like a great idea- I was there on a family trip to Spain at age 16 but that was over a decade ago. All I can remember these days is the cathedral, so I'm sure there'd be a lot more to see now for me.

And yeah looking like Lisbon going to be good- still on the very edge of the 10 day forecast but right now it says 15 degrees and sunny! Hope that lasts!

foodtravelandlife

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2013
How long does it take to get to the Canary Islands? 4 hours or so? Might be worth that time investment as it's relatively cheap and has high temperatures in Winter. If you stay away from the tourist hotspots, Lanzarote and Tenerife are lovely!
Love food, love travel, love life!
http://www.foodtravelandlife.com

Return to Europe Travel