Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Sensitive Topic?: Non-Lethal Weaponry?

Hays

User avatar
Armchair Traveler
 
Posts: 37
Joined: November 10th, 2010
Location: Seville, Spain

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 4th, 2012
(Since this thread won't seem to die, please see my final clarifying comment on the second page. I've left the original text below for honesty's sake.)

Ok, so this is is playing off an earlier post I brought up about security during RTW travel. Now, I titled this as a "sensitive" post mostly because I've yet to see anybody bring up anything like this on BnA, and haven't seen anything Searching for it either.

Basically, I'm a big and ugly self-confident guy who really doesn't 'back down', so to speak. I mean, someone sticks a gun in my face, yeah you can have my bag and anything else - but I'm not keen on the idea of tossing over my safety net to some scrawny thug with chipped knife. A BIG impetus in this post is also my dad pushing the idea of me having some sort of weapon on me.

Sooooooo... any thoughts/knowledge on legalities/perceptions of something like a regular pocket-knife (something I carry regularly in the States, just as a daily tool), or (my dad's recommendation) a collapsible baton? Not something I'd have ANY intention of making obvious or the like, but in-reach nonetheless.

Please know I am NOT trying to focus on bad things happening - it's just that I try to be a thorough planner, and planning this trip has been a marathon, not a sprint.
Last edited by Hays on November 21st, 2012, edited 2 times in total.
My Kind of Crazy
Urban Guesthouses and Hospitality Consulting | Seville, Spain
(we also participate in work-exchange programs, contact for more information)

busman7

User avatar
Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: El Salvador

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 5th, 2012
You go off with that mindset of looking for trouble, you're likely going to find it.

Chill & go with the idea of having a good incident free trip, you most likely will.

Just keep in mind that the US with all it's open carry gun laws & retarded stand-your-ground invitation to murder laws, is likely the most dangerous country you will be in. :( Unless you're going on a drug buying spree.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Felix the Hat

User avatar
Extra Pages in Passport
 
Posts: 3215
Joined: June 17th, 2002
Location: Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 5th, 2012
You're looking for legal trouble and endless airport hassle if you carry weapons with you. Take other, passive precautions instead. Better to limit your possible losses by carrying nothing you can't live without than spend days/weeks in jail in a country with Napoleonic Code.

halfnine

World Citizen
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: December 5th, 2005

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 6th, 2012
I agree with Felix. Losing out to some scrawny thug is nothing compared to having to deal with a police and/or judicial system in a foreign country. That goes for developed countries as well, where self-defense isn't given us a much leeway as in the USA.

travel droppings

User avatar
Holds PhD in Packing
 
Posts: 143
Joined: July 7th, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 6th, 2012
Dont worry about bringing anything, you'll be fine. Just be smart about it. No need for weapons, in my opinion.

In my experience, people who get into trouble are the ones who are doing something they shouldnt be doing in the first place. Drugs use, drunk stumbling late at night, hanging with bad crowds, etc.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Hays

User avatar
Armchair Traveler
 
Posts: 37
Joined: November 10th, 2010
Location: Seville, Spain

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 8th, 2012
I think my post may have been misinterpreted - I am not currently, nor any time in the future "looking for trouble". I fully anticipate and look forward to an incident-free trip, but I also firmly believe that sh*t happens no matter where you are in the world and I'm simply not one to be an idle victim or bystander. The very reason of this post was to inquire about the legalities of my suggestion, as I am not looking to break any laws during this trip (I think this was earlier evidenced by my inquiry regarding the Schengen Visa and related travel.). To those of you with valuable input here, I appreciate your posts...

Busman - I haven't been here long, but I've already learned to ignore your posts.
My Kind of Crazy
Urban Guesthouses and Hospitality Consulting | Seville, Spain
(we also participate in work-exchange programs, contact for more information)

busman7

User avatar
Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: El Salvador

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 8th, 2012
Hays wrote:
Busman - I haven't been here long, but I've already learned to ignore your posts.


That's been known to happen by people that have a problem accepting reality. :)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Radeh

User avatar
Thorn Tree Refugee
 
Posts: 4
Joined: June 2nd, 2012

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 9th, 2012
I've been to tons of unsafe places, and your best defence is your brain. Saying you don't like to back down is stupid. I've been Thai boxing for almost 6 years, but if some idiot with a knife wants my wallet, he gets it. Why? Because risking your health for the $50 in your wallet is STUPID.

Treat people with respect, figure out which areas NOT to visit (just ask a couple of locals and your hotel/hostel), and have fun. I haven't been anywhere yet where a knife would have made me feel safer...and that includes many African and ME countries.

busman7

User avatar
Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: El Salvador

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 10th, 2012
Radeh wrote:I've been to tons of unsafe places, and your best defence is your brain. Saying you don't like to back down is stupid. I've been Thai boxing for almost 6 years, but if some idiot with a knife wants my wallet, he gets it. Why? Because risking your health for the $50 in your wallet is STUPID.

Treat people with respect, figure out which areas NOT to visit (just ask a couple of locals and your hotel/hostel), and have fun. I haven't been anywhere yet where a knife would have made me feel safer...and that includes many African and ME countries.


Amen! :tup:

Wonder if the OP is starting to get the idea yet :?:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Hays

User avatar
Armchair Traveler
 
Posts: 37
Joined: November 10th, 2010
Location: Seville, Spain

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 10th, 2012
Radeh wrote:I've been to tons of unsafe places, and your best defence is your brain. Saying you don't like to back down is stupid. I've been Thai boxing for almost 6 years, but if some idiot with a knife wants my wallet, he gets it. Why? Because risking your health for the $50 in your wallet is STUPID.

Treat people with respect, figure out which areas NOT to visit (just ask a couple of locals and your hotel/hostel), and have fun. I haven't been anywhere yet where a knife would have made me feel safer...and that includes many African and ME countries.


Thank you for your input.

Tangent: I fail to see, however, how my post continues to be misinterpreted -holy hell people, I'm NOT out to start or get in trouble! Never in this post have I suggested I WANT to be fighting anyone, nor that I would hesitate to part with small change. The only thing I said in THAT regard was the event of someone trying to rob me of everything. Perhaps my phrasing of "not the type to 'back down'" was not the appropriate thing to convey my point, as it seems that is the crux of most of this misinterpretation.
My Kind of Crazy
Urban Guesthouses and Hospitality Consulting | Seville, Spain
(we also participate in work-exchange programs, contact for more information)

busman7

User avatar
Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: El Salvador

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: June 10th, 2012
Hays wrote:I've yet to see anybody bring up anything like this on BnA, and haven't seen anything Searching for it either.

Basically, I'm a big and ugly self-confident guy who really doesn't 'back down', so to speak. I mean, someone sticks a gun in my face, yeah you can have my bag and anything else - but I'm not keen on the idea of tossing over my safety net to some scrawny thug with chipped knife. A BIG impetus in this post is also my dad pushing the idea of me having some sort of weapon on me.

Sooooooo... any thoughts/knowledge on legalities/perceptions of something like a regular pocket-knife (something I carry regularly in the States, just as a daily tool), or (my dad's recommendation) a collapsible baton? Not something I'd have ANY intention of making obvious or the like, but in-reach nonetheless.


You seem pretty clear on your intent, "baton" which = weapon "but in-reach nonetheless" & you certainly aren't being misinterpreted.

Guess likely the reason why searches turned up nothing about weapons is because travelers know that they aren't needed, all the responses show the same.

Perhaps you should listen the proffered advice from travelers, forget about the bad advise of your father & quit trying to justify your own opinion.

But hey it's your trip, your life, go out being the "big ugly" American if that's your thing! :shrug:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

backlasher

User avatar
Squat Toilet Professional
 
Posts: 800
Joined: April 12th, 2007

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: July 11th, 2012
Any kind of weapon, lethal or non-lethal is frowned upon. That said... I carry a fox micro whistle in my pocket along with a very small flashlight. I don't travel to dodgy areas and try not to act stupid. It's worked well so far.
"There's more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than can ever be done."
Circle of Life - The Lion King

Hays

User avatar
Armchair Traveler
 
Posts: 37
Joined: November 10th, 2010
Location: Seville, Spain

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: July 14th, 2012
backlasher wrote:Any kind of weapon, lethal or non-lethal is frowned upon. That said... I carry a fox micro whistle in my pocket along with a very small flashlight. I don't travel to dodgy areas and try not to act stupid. It's worked well so far.


THANKS!

(I'll be damned if this isn't the first straight up, non-judgemental response I've gotten in this thread!)
My Kind of Crazy
Urban Guesthouses and Hospitality Consulting | Seville, Spain
(we also participate in work-exchange programs, contact for more information)

CheersTerry

Lost in Place
 
Posts: 61
Joined: October 31st, 2006

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: July 14th, 2012
I understand your point completely Hays, but these sorts of questions always raise a few hackles, especially from the knee-jerk politically correct crowd who've never strayed from their Lonely Planet guide book.

A baton or anything that's a "real" weapon is of course a dumb idea... too many potential problems at border crossings and unless you're properly trained you can get yourself into more trouble than without having the weapon in the first place.

I've been to countless dodgy places all over the world and in all my years of travel I've only had two confrontations that I couldn't run from... one was a crackhead in Caracas who got me and a female companion cornered in a short alley - my fault entirely, I wasn't paying attention - and the second time was as a passenger on a bus that was held up by two robbers in Mexico.

I use a Leatherman Wave Multi-tool as my last resort equalizer when there is absolutely no other option than to physically defend myself. It has a nicely contoured profile that fits in my hand perfectly, distributing its considerable heft evenly throughout my entire fist. Used as a downward striker the bottom of the Leatherman sticks out just far enough to operate as a extremely effective battering ram capable of delivering devastating damage - nose, cheekbones or collar bones are shattered instantly. If used properly the assailant will be lights-out before their knees even buckle.

And before the oh-so-predictable old farts start ranting over and over again stating the perfectly obvious, YES, of course you should do EVERYTHING in your power to avoid a physical confrontation. The usual street smarts and common sense EASILY diffuse 99.9% of dangerous situations before they even occur, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having some back-up in the exceptionally rare situation that you can't run from. And yes, it goes without saying that proper training is imperative before you engage in any physical confrontation, weapon or not...

Let the bleating begin... yawn...

Cheers,
Terry

busman7

User avatar
Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago
 
Posts: 2026
Joined: January 12th, 2008
Location: El Salvador

Share on Orkut

  • Added on: July 15th, 2012
CheersTerry wrote:I understand your point completely Hays, but these sorts of questions always raise a few hackles, especially from the knee-jerk politically correct crowd who've never strayed from their Lonely Planet guide book.

A baton or anything that's a "real" weapon is of course a dumb idea... too many potential problems at border crossings and unless you're properly trained you can get yourself into more trouble than without having the weapon in the first place.

I've been to countless dodgy places all over the world and in all my years of travel I've only had two confrontations that I couldn't run from... one was a crackhead in Caracas who got me and a female companion cornered in a short alley - my fault entirely, I wasn't paying attention - and the second time was as a passenger on a bus that was held up by two robbers in Mexico.

I use a Leatherman Wave Multi-tool as my last resort equalizer when there is absolutely no other option than to physically defend myself. It has a nicely contoured profile that fits in my hand perfectly, distributing its considerable heft evenly throughout my entire fist. Used as a downward striker the bottom of the Leatherman sticks out just far enough to operate as a extremely effective battering ram capable of delivering devastating damage - nose, cheekbones or collar bones are shattered instantly. If used properly the assailant will be lights-out before their knees even buckle.

And before the oh-so-predictable old farts start ranting over and over again stating the perfectly obvious, YES, of course you should do EVERYTHING in your power to avoid a physical confrontation. The usual street smarts and common sense EASILY diffuse 99.9% of dangerous situations before they even occur, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having some back-up in the exceptionally rare situation that you can't run from. And yes, it goes without saying that proper training is imperative before you engage in any physical confrontation, weapon or not...

Let the bleating begin... yawn...

Cheers,
Terry


Your brother heard from. :hehe: :cup:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown


Next

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

PLEASE NOTE: Your original BootsnAll Boards Member login still works by logging in below on the Boards.
We have a new BootsnAll Account that you will start seeing around the BootsnAll Travel Network. This new login is not yet linked to your current Boards Account. In the meantime, you will need to sign up (for a BootsnAll Account) to use Account features like Indie ™ , Traveler Profiles etc.

Quick Links

Community Activity

Statistics for the last 7 days

New posts:
10
Newest Member:
legomyeggo


Indie - Multi Country Flight Finder
Round the World Travelers


Join BootsnAll on Facebook

1 (503) 528-1005

© 2014 BootsnAll Travel Network, LLC. All Rights Reserved.