Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

should i buy a one way ticket?

SeanWise

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: san jose, costa rica, plane ticket, one way ticket, round trip
  • Added on: September 23rd, 2009
I am going to by flying into San Jose, Costa Rica in the middle of January and I do not know where or when I will be leaving central america. I plan to stay in the region for 6-12 weeks just depending on my finances. I don't want to buy a round trip ticket if I am going to have to change it anyway. If i only buy a one way and then buy my return flight while I am there, will this cause issues? is this a bad idea? any better ideas? thanks

Kate and Dan

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Discuss the particulars with a travel agent, but I believe that your return trip can be deferred for up to a year. Are you planning to fly our of San Jose, as well?

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

From Europe, I've found I could buy a return flight one year later. In the USA, or rather, from the USA, I've found it was more difficult to get such a ticket, but 6 months was possible.

Yes, you can take one half of a return ticket and buy another.

Or....

There tend to be many airlines running one way flights from Miami, which has become the transport hub for the Americas.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the price for a one way to Miami from venezuela was the same price as one half of my 'cheap' round trip ticket from miami.

Check out the flights to costa rica from Miami, and flights to Miami from where you land.

You may be able to get to miami on a cheap flight, stay overnight in South Beach, and next day fly out. The prices for not throwing away one half of the ticket may make it worth your while, or not.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

SeanWise

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 24th, 2009
Kate and Dan wrote:Discuss the particulars with a travel agent, but I believe that your return trip can be deferred for up to a year. Are you planning to fly our of San Jose, as well?

i think we will be flying out of south america somewhere back to the U.S.

juan3

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 24th, 2009
Also have your travel agent check with your intended airline, as some airlines serving Central America will not board a passenger who doesn't have a return ticket. It is a rip off by the airlines, based on old, seldom enforced laws, but when the airline pulls this trick, when you show up at the airport, it can get your trip off to a really frustrating start.
----------------------------------------- I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.-Mark Twain

Return to Central America Travel