Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Should I take special measures with food and water in other

mnmn

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 28th, 2011
Question: Should I take special measures with food and water in other countries?
Answer: Yes. Not all countries have high standards of food hygiene. You need to take special care abroad, particularly in developing countries. Follow these rules when in other countries:

* Do not eat uncooked fruits and vegetables unless you can peel them. Avoid salads.

* Eat cooked foods while they are still hot.

* Boil all water before drinking it. Use only ice made from boiled water. Drink only canned or bottled drinks or beverages made with boiled water.

* Steaming-hot foods, fruits you peel yourself, bottled and canned processed drinks, and hot coffee or tea should be safe.

* Talk with your health care provider or your local travel clinic about other advice on travel abroad.

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011
meh... I've never been sick from traveling and I always eat fruits and veggies directly from the market - with the peels. I wash them in tap water, brush my teeth with tap water and have even drank straight tap water here in Mexico. I purposely chose to not be overly anal about my food and exposed myself to the local bacteria a little at a time so I could build up a resistance. Now in some areas of the world I might be a bit more uptight but I think it definitely depends.

Besides, it's not just countries that don't have "high standards of food hygiene" that make people sick. I know plenty of people who got sick when they first started traveling in the US.

Basically, as with all things, if you don't do stupid stuff you'll probably be ok.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2011
mnmn wrote:Question: Should I take special measures with food and water in other countries?
Answer: Yes. Not all countries have high standards of food hygiene. You need to take special care abroad, particularly in developing countries. Follow these rules when in other countries:

* Do not eat uncooked fruits and vegetables unless you can peel them. Avoid salads.

* Eat cooked foods while they are still hot.

* Boil all water before drinking it. Use only ice made from boiled water. Drink only canned or bottled drinks or beverages made with boiled water.

* Steaming-hot foods, fruits you peel yourself, bottled and canned processed drinks, and hot coffee or tea should be safe.

* Talk with your health care provider or your local travel clinic about other advice on travel abroad.

Have broken all those rules & haven't been sick yet :)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 1st, 2011
So, I should avoid salads and uncooked fruits and veggies in another country but the people there are fine to eat them? :P

I think it's all about common sense and just being careful without being paranoid. Obviously freshly cooked things are going to be pretty safe. But if you are in a location with decent food standards I'm sure your uncooked and unpeeled fruit will be fine - although I normally wash my unpeeled fruit here at home in Australia so I'd do it overseas too.

And then some things you just can't control. For example you could go to dinner in a restaurant and Sydney and get food poisoning but eat street food from a road-side stand in Viet Nam and be fine. But would you recommend people don't eat at Sydney restaurants because you can't see the food being cooked? No.

Return to Health and Travel