Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

So, What Brought You to BootsnAll in the First Place?

JessieS

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 19th, 2006
It might be that it was so long ago you stumbled upon our little corner of the Internet that you don't even recall how you got here... But if you remember, I'm curious - how did you initially find us?

I found BootsnAll via National Geographic Traveler magazine, when they printed a tiny blurb about a few websites dedicated to independent travel... When I read that one of the sites on the list was headquartered in Portland, where I live, I immediately went to the computer to check it out. The rest, as they say, is history.

What about you? What brought you here?
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

sunnybuns

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I was researching about moving to australia, and was looking for blogs about students who were studying in australia. I found the bootsnall blog pages, and then from there came to the homepage.
~lost in translation~

Llalewyn

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I found it because skobb was stalking me....um I mean there was an article written about Boots in the Colorado Springs Gazette.

TylerDurden

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I found it while exploring Rolf Pott's Vagabonding website, after reading the book ofcourse.

Bow

glissonkid

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Googling "cheap travel".

Capt Steve

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I was researching on the web about taking a year off work to do independent travel, and was really on the fence about the decision. A few weeks reading BNA sold me on the idea, and I took the year off.

Since then BNA's become a rather large part of my life. I love this place, and the people - I've met more than my fair share and they are all fantastic. I sometimes wonder where'd I'd be today or what I'd be doing if I'd never found BNA. I'm sure it wouldn't be as wonderful.

JoeVol72

Buzz Maintenance Engineer

Share on Orkut

Googling trip preperations.

nerokerr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

When we were planning a trip around Europe, my girlfriend at the time found BnA and the boards, probably by searching for something travel related, and told me about it. I posted sporadically for a couple years, but, ironically, it was after we broke up that my activity level here jumped, since I was finally free to travel as much as I really wanted to.

Things sure have grown around here in the past 4 years...
__________________________________________________________________________________
If women had any idea, even for a second, of how we really looked at them, they would never stop slapping us.
ExchangeBureauMusic.com, ExB@MySpace, My Friggin Travel Blargh

crackerjillian

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

I was travelling through the head waters of the Amazon and met Nikos (former Photog Moderator) in Iquitos, Peru. In discussing various scams to make money while travelling, I mentioned the possibility and difficulty of publishing travel articles. I'd been on BnA before looking at tickets and such, but he insisted I check it out again. He also muttered something about them being based in Oregon, so I came back to the States, dove back into school and have naturally not written a damn thing for the BootsCrew. I just hopped on the boards, joined the peanut gallery and the rest, as they say, is history. A hooch soaked history, but a history nonetheless.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

The travel articles, specifically one about Chiapas.

Zopa

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

i was on their mail list for emails since The Beginning (no record of this exists, unfortunately) but again in 2004 i met this dude who came to visit my friend Joy after they met on the t in boston. he was a brit, doing an RTW and for some reason along with all of my friends going ga-ga over this exotic stranger, i recalled this part of myself who had once done something like that and i wanted to start re-focusing my time/money/efforts toward more serious travel
Celebrating my 1800th POST!

Pete Teoh

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I read about BnA in some travel magazine (can't remember which) right before my trip to Cambodia this year and decided to check it out.
--
http://www.teoh.us/v/travel

Brianne

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by JessieS:
I found BootsnAll via National Geographic Traveler magazine, when they printed a tiny blurb about a few websites dedicated to independent travel... When I read that one of the sites on the list was headquartered in Portland, where I live, I immediately went to the computer to check it out. The rest, as they say, is history.

You stole mine Jessie! I was at the gym, reading a National Geographic Traveler (no doubt the same one you read) and it mentioned BNA. Also mentioned they were from Portland so I checked it out that night. It was around the time that I was getting super serious with the planning for our big, upcoming trip - so good timing!
Going to New Zealand at the end of March 2008!!!

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Googling for info about Fortaleza Brasil, I found Phillip Blasdell's travelog, which led me here.

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Capt Steve:
I sometimes wonder where'd I'd be today or what I'd be doing if I'd never found BNA. I'm sure it wouldn't be as wonderful.

When I first read this, I thought it said, "I'm sure I wouldn't be as wonderful!Smile

I was planning a trip to Argentina and needed some tips (in particular, at that point I was looking for language schools), and came across this site. After hanging out a bit I saw what a great community it was, and I had also been looking for that!

I have since had the opportunity to meet lots of Booties, and that has lended to some great friendships and experiences. I can't wait to meet more!!

Next

Return to Best of the Boards