Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

So, why DO you travel?

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 15th, 2010
askin wrote:Cause I just love the world: Realizing that you're just overflying - or better: heading to - the place you only know from hear-says, videos, pictures, creates kinda awkward feeling -

Regardless of the image quality you see on the web or elsewhere, being "THERE" is simply different.

This is exactly it for me, although I get a small dose of goosebumps when I look at foreign cities with Google StreetView...(it's good medication in between trips)...but being there is infinitely better. ;)

I also read a lot of adventure books as a kid.

smccormick

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2010
To further realize that what I think is normal is actually pretty abnormal. For instance, saying "pahk" instead of park, wearing a hoodie in the summer, and estimating the population in an area by how many Dunkin Donuts' there are. ;) (I'm from Boston).
“Humor…sets the thinking machinery in motion.” -Mark Twain
http://ummmmheyyyy.wordpress.com/

Maestra LE

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2010
I travel for the feeling of freedom it brings. The knowledge that I can pack all my essential worldly goods into a backpack and be gone on a whim - it's exhilarating.

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 6th, 2010
I like to brag about it to all my loser friends who spend all their money on booze and video games. Haha.. no that's not really the reason, but it is fun.

I love not only seeing other cultures, but becoming a part of them. I spent a lot of time in Kenya and felt really connected to the people of Kakamega where I spent time volunteering. I wanted the same thing for my most recent trip (a permanent one to Africa) and now I live in a small 200 square foot apartment with no toilet or running water, and spotty electricity. Its wierd because I don't know many people who could deal with that but I've been here for 7 months and have zero regrets.

Its' funny how even when I have so little (I make $150 a month working in a small hotel in Bamako) I find myself much happier than anything I had done in Denver where I'm from. For me I think travelling is just about being happy, if I'm happier here, then why not?!

El Viajero

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 10th, 2010
1. The thrill of something new
2. Seeing wildlife in the wild
3. Seeing beautiful scenery
4. Taking a break from home
5. Trying different food
6. Meeting new people (especially women)
7. The thrill of possible danger
8. Experiencing different cultures
9. Cheaper hookers (Kidding)

Zuleika

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 11th, 2010
All of the above posts.
And because I can. I dont have kids or a husband to hold me back!
Life is such an adventure, I can't wait to live it some more.

Daawgon

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 9th, 2010
Travel is so refreshing and rejuvenating for me. As others have said, home gets very old and boring after a while. Recently, all the bad news at home (USA) has really depressed me. I plan and look forward to my next trip for months on end. I also love air travel, and that has become one of my hobbies. I usually go to Indochina because of the warm smiles, warm climate, and great prices (it's also totally different from home). Why not travel, I just don't understand these people who sit home and suffer. I think many middle class and lower middle class Americans think international travel has to be expensive and is just a hobby for the wealthy - how wrong they are!

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 8th, 2010
to push myself out of my comfort zone.

to learn. about the places i visit, the people i meet, and myself.

to be awed, inspired, to think to myself, "this is the most amazing thing i have seen/experienced/done"...
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

Jurori

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 17th, 2010
Because I feel so much more alive and aware in another culture, learning new things, than I do at home at work/school/whatever. I could go on, but that's the heart of my reason for traveling. :)

PDXnative

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 10th, 2010
I have lived in the same place for 39 years. I am bored! I have a wife and young daughter and it would be too easy to just suck it up and live the "American Dream" in the same place with good jobs and a house. Luckily my wife and daughter also love to travel, so when I suggested the idea of selling everything we own and travelling the world until we found something worth stopping for, they agreed. Or, at least my wife agreed as our daughter was too young to decide at that time. So, our plan is to sell everything and travel. Why? Why not!
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

nancy sv

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 25th, 2010
PDXnative wrote:... I suggested the idea of selling everything we own and travelling the world until we found something worth stopping for, they agreed. Or, at least my wife agreed as our daughter was too young to decide at that time. So, our plan is to sell everything and travel. Why? Why not!

I travel so we can have time together as a family and for the education we all get - young and old alike. When one is entrenched in the work-a-day routine at home, it is all too easy for whole days to pass by without really talking with your spouse or kids. On the road, we talk about everything. I don't care where we go or what we do - as long as we are together and I get to watch my boys grow up.
Join our family we cycle from Alaska to Argentina! www.familyonbikes.org

KnottyNikki

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 25th, 2010
I travel because it's the only time I really feel alive. My only home is the road.
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing?-it's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”~Kerouac

dmc84

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 27th, 2010
I travel as much as possible as I'm self-employed; I want to visit as many places as possible and stay excited by life, and start learning new languages! When I hear talk in the UK amongst acquaintances of people slaving away, at mundane jobs they dislike, to cover cars/houses they can't really afford I despair! Tim Ferriss, Rolf Potts, Leo Babauta and Chris Guillebeau are four commentators I have been inspired by too.

Poi and Kirsty

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 28th, 2010
For fun of course! Simple as that...

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 8th, 2010
I've grown up travelling. This has given me the travel bug, and as we only ever travelled domestically and never overseas (wasn't much of an option for a large-ish family) it's like I've been given a taste of chocolate but know there is an awful lot more chocolate out there that I've not yet experienced!!

I want to see the treasures of the world, not just pictures of them.
I want to at least witness, if not actually experience, other cultures instead of reading about them or watching documentaries.
I want to personally revel in God's creation.
I want to learn and understand more than sticking round in the one place affords me.
I want to see animals in the wild.
I want to see history up close.
I want to get away from the routine, mundane, known.
I want to simplify yet also diversify.

PreviousNext

Return to Best of the Boards