Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

So, why DO you travel?

Viaggero

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 12th, 2008
I was telling my summer plans to a colegue and that was the question she asked me. She would be happy never to travel beyond the US and found it strange that I did.

So, thinking about it, I would have to say that I do it because:
1. I like the camaraderie that I find with other travelers on the road.
2. I like to see different cultures instead of reading about them.
3. I like adventure ,so I find myself traveling to more and more exotic places.
4. I like to see animals in the wild.
5. I like photography and am always motivated to shoot while traveling.
6. I like languages and traveling gives me the chance to use them and improve upon them.

I'm sure that I've forgotten a couple of reasons, but what are yours?

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

I get bored with where I live.

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Not the first Travis:
I get bored with where I live.

I'm with you Trav, but I also strongly like:

2. I like to see different cultures instead of reading about them.

Arre

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

That's a tough question for me to answer, but I'll give it a shot.

I've grown up with traveling. Some of my earliest memories are of family camping trips we took all over the US and Canada- riding my bike to go get water from a pump, making s'mores over a fire, falling asleep in a tent and hearing all the sounds of the forest around me. I first went overseas in the spring of 2000, when I was eleven, to France. I don't remember that trip making an enormous impression on me, but the two that followed (Spain and Morocco in 2001 and Japan in 2002) made me fall in love with being on the road. I was completely overwhelmed- in the best way imaginable- by how different and amazing things were in other parts of the world. Pretty much since I was in middle school, traveling has been a steadily bigger and bigger priority for me; every trip I take shows me something new and incredible about the world and, in doing so, reminds me of just how unbelievably much there is out there I HAVEN'T yet experienced.

It's about adventure in a lot of ways- I think humans have an innate need to explore, to discover, to be challenged. I can't speak for anyone else with any real authority, but I don't think I'm alone in realizing that I feel the most alive when I'm in an unfamiliar place. I live for adrenaline rushes and uncertainty. So much of "true" adventure is dead- when there were still uncharted continents and unexplored wilds and an explorer could sail off into the unknown with only his gods and their stars to guide him, but travel is a way to capture some of the spirit of it.

It's also about learning. I love languages and I love people and I love history, not to mention art and politics and anthropology and all those dozens or hundreds of other areas which you can never, ever fully understand without the context of the geography.

It's even about boredom, like NTFT said. I do get sick of places and things when I'm around them too long, and a trip which throws me out of my element not only allows me to reinvent myself, but also gives me a new sense of appreciation for things I left behind. There's nothing like distance to give you a sense of perspective.

Really, it's just a love affair with the world, ultimately inexplicable in the way all love affairs necessarily are.

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

Having cool trips to look forward to when work is drudging.

And what everyone else said so far Big Grin

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

KathrynD

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2008
I travel because I love to see what's out there. I'm the kind of person who always wonders "What is down that road?"

I sometimes think that maybe all this travel is a selfish pursuit, what with the carbon footprint, etc, but I think that it's such a pleasure like eating well that I will never be able to break the habit.

Bea Scott

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2008
I like to see many sights and go to a lot of different places! That's why I travel.

Haci Richard

Jackson's Dad

Share on Orkut

I think we're all running away from something. Maybe it has something to do with our mothers...

nancy sv

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Arre:
That's a tough question for me to answer, but I'll give it a shot.

I've grown up with traveling. Some of my earliest memories are of family camping trips we took all over the US and Canada- riding my bike to go get water from a pump, making s'mores over a fire, falling asleep in a tent and hearing all the sounds of the forest around me. I first went overseas in the spring of 2000, when I was eleven, to France. I don't remember that trip making an enormous impression on me, but the two that followed (Spain and Morocco in 2001 and Japan in 2002) made me fall in love with being on the road. I was completely overwhelmed- in the best way imaginable- by how different and amazing things were in other parts of the world. Pretty much since I was in middle school, traveling has been a steadily bigger and bigger priority for me; every trip I take shows me something new and incredible about the world and, in doing so, reminds me of just how unbelievably much there is out there I HAVEN'T yet experienced.

It's about adventure in a lot of ways- I think humans have an innate need to explore, to discover, to be challenged. I can't speak for anyone else with any real authority, but I don't think I'm alone in realizing that I feel the most alive when I'm in an unfamiliar place. I live for adrenaline rushes and uncertainty. So much of "true" adventure is dead- when there were still uncharted continents and unexplored wilds and an explorer could sail off into the unknown with only his gods and their stars to guide him, but travel is a way to capture some of the spirit of it.

It's also about learning. I love languages and I love people and I love history, not to mention art and politics and anthropology and all those dozens or hundreds of other areas which you can never, ever fully understand without the context of the geography.

It's even about boredom, like NTFT said. I do get sick of places and things when I'm around them too long, and a trip which throws me out of my element not only allows me to reinvent myself, but also gives me a new sense of appreciation for things I left behind. There's nothing like distance to give you a sense of perspective.

Really, it's just a love affair with the world, ultimately inexplicable in the way all love affairs necessarily are.

Arre said it perfectly. But now that I'm a parent I would add something else. I used to find that travel alone was what I wanted, but now that's not true anymore. At this point in my life, I've traveled enough. If I never traveled away from home one more day, I would be content. Nowadays, traveling is a way for me to be with my kids - I mean REALLY be WITH my kids. When we are home I'm busy teaching and am so wrapped up other people's kids that I don't have a chance to BE WITH my own boys. Traveling with them gives me that time I crave - time to see my boys grow and mature, time to see them learn and discover, time to relax and enjoy each other's company.
Join our family we cycle from Alaska to Argentina! www.familyonbikes.org

dopeyzn

Share on Orkut

because there is a whole world out there to be explored and to learn from... everytime i travel i add a new aspect to my personality! Smile

Craze_b0i

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by KathrynD:

I sometimes think that maybe all this travel is a selfish pursuit, what with the carbon footprint, etc, but I think that it's such a pleasure like eating well that I will never be able to break the habit.

I feel totally the same. The more I read on global warming the more I think that frequent travel is, as you say, a selfish pursuit. So I do feel bad about it sometimes. However I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, which is why I keep doing it.
"Let's see if we can enjoy this recession. i enjoyed most of the previous ones."
- Zoomcharlieb.

my travel website

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Haci Richard:
I think we're all running away from something. Maybe it has something to do with our mothers...

Or with our mother-in-laws Big Grin
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

travelclown

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2008
I like to discover things...
To meet the locals and see how they live...
Also, I find that being confronted with different values makes me more tolerant and thus a better person...

janetlynne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 17th, 2008
for me it's an escape. Something different to look forward to. The older I get the more boring home seems.

HooleyHoop

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2008
For me its what I have written in my profile. I've pasted it below. Smile

quote:
Well I started my love in travelling in very sad circumstances. It was September 8th 2001 and I boarded a plane for New York for my first trip outside Europe and only my second trip outside the UK in my life. On the morning of the 10th I went up the Empire State Building and whilst at the top decided not to do the trade centre that day as it was too misty. However, as we roamed around the top of the empire state the mist suddenly cleared in a matter of minutes so we decided to do the trade centre. the next morning we decided to go to Liberty Island but for the first time during the trip decided to stop for breakfast up at 103rd where we were staying. We had breakfast and got on the subway to head to liberty island. We were at Chambers when the train stopped and we were ordered above ground to be confronted with the two towers burning and wondering what the hell had happened. Needless to say it was distressing time especially watching the towers fall. I wont bore you with other details apart from this. It was a life changing event for me and I suddenly had a desire to see as much of our amazing planet as I could and not take it for granted. Many people I know have used this tragic day as a reason not to travel but not me, its spurred me on. In 2007 I travelled by train from Manchester in the UK to China via Russia and Mongolia Smile In 2009 I will be travelling from Beijing to Singapore via Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia.

Next

Return to Best of the Boards