Too often lumped in with North America, Mexico is a country that stands out on its own.

Solo Travel in Mexico City and travel buddies

Veronicafrances

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: mexico city
  • Added on: March 4th, 2013
Hi All,

I will be in Mexico city for 14-18 days solo and I am wondering what everyone's top 10 off-the beaten-track things to do/sights to see?

Does anyone know where I can look for a travel buddy?

Also, I am thinking of traveling around Mexico a bit...does anyone have any quick tips?

Thanks in advance!

Veronica

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2013
Check out Queretaro. It's a colonial city about an hour by bus from Mexico City. It's worth a visit for a day or two. Very few foreigners visit.

Veronicafrances

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2013
EMH wrote:Check out Queretaro. It's a colonial city about an hour by bus from Mexico City. It's worth a visit for a day or two. Very few foreigners visit.

Great! I will give it a go :)

Veronicafrances

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2013
Hi,
Sorry for the multiple posts but...

I am a keen runner and I was looking to keep it up the 3 weeks I am away.
Do you think that it is safe to run circuits in the city? Can anyone recommend a place?
thanks in advance! ;)
Veronica

Ddrezner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 8th, 2013
I'm not so sure about running circuits for a number of reasons.

First of all, the pollution index is quite high there and it may damage your lungs.

Secondly, I can't think of any really long circuit that a woman can do alone in the city. There are bad and good areas of the city, and running amidst the crowds will be distracting. Running on the streets will probably get you killed. They have little regard for bikers, let alone pedestrians.

One smaller route I can think of are the trails in Chapultepec Park. It's safe during the day and you can probably get in one or two mile laps. you can even run up and down the hill that oversees the city for a last leg.

If you want a safer area to run in, there are sections in the wealthier areas, but they're still either too busy to do comfortably, or possibly unsafe during the dark or mornings. The area by Diego Rivera's home, i forgot the name now, seemed fairly safe years ago.
Tortuga traveller

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Another point against going for a run in Mexico City depends on your home climate conditions. The city is a mixture of a plateau and a valley ranging in elevation from 7k to 10k feet, so it's easy to get overexerted quickly if you usually live in a sea level area. I certainly felt the thinner air the first weeks when i moved there, that said, during the time i lived there I did get to see people going for runs (probably locals) around many parks just running laps, not many though. The city is not very suited for it as Ddrezner said, too busy.

Ddrezner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Off the beaten track? there is so much to do on the beaten track in two weeks you won't need much of the former.

Things NOT to miss on the track.

Chapultepec Park. Its one of my favorite city parks in the world, nuff said. It has activities, nature, is safe, and a castle on top of the hill where you can get a great view of the city.

Museo de Anthroplogia-- a world class museum and essential for planning trips to various pyramids

Trotsky's house. This was where Trotsky holed up hiding from Lenin and Stalin. In the end they found him, but the story is really intereesting.

the work of David Siguerous.. there is a massive mural he did that can't be missed if you love art.

The many buildings done by Diego Rivera.

The Frida Kahlo muesem.

The Floating garden district. Many people think of this as a cute tourist trap, until you understand somethi8ng about the city's history. Until the 1930's, most of the city was a bunch of earthen islands set in a lake. Then a president filled it all in, and the city hasn't been the same since.

The cathedral slowly sinking into the sand. Yep, they put a heavy sandstone building on really bad soil, and forgot about a foundation. The results are interesting.

Teotihuican-- its a very touristed must-see.

The main temple complex in the middle of the city. This was the HEART of the Mexic Empire, and it was an Empire.

People will recommend the thieves market, but,, it really is full of thieves, and do NOT go at night.

----

Food.

Sanborns-- its really cool to be in a tiled restaurant and drink some of the best coffee in Mexico city. The rest of the food is a bit pricy, but the atmosphere makes it worth at least a cup of coffee.

Any one of the Torta stands by the metro stations. Incredibly good sandwiches, more like hoagies, for a good price. My favority, the Hawaaina.

Any one of the Taco Trucks. Only Mexico city knows how to do Tacos right. Imagine this, a long panel truck with a fold down eating area, and on it is a long bar of 12 to 14 different tasting taco fillings. You pay your 10 pesos, and get to fill two shells. 20 pesos gets you practically filled up on delicous taco filling sauces including mushrooms and liver.

Off the beaten track:

Give up on touristing, and volunteer to help in one of the many organisations

The mountain areas at the top of Mexico city. It's amazing to be on the edge of the mountain range that surrounds the city, and look down on the polluted, building filled mess that used to be a water filled lake bed that fed an empire.

it will take you four hours to get there by metro. Yes, the city really IS that big.

Cities to see Near Mexico city:

Taxco. It is heavily touristed, and for a reason. You can get the best selection of silver jewelry there as anywhere in the world in all of the shops, NOT at wholesale prices, or buy it wholesale. It is a very charming and beautiful colonial looking city built on the edge of a mountain, very near a working silver mine, now owned by the Japanese. It´s only a few hours from Mexico city by bus, so you can make a weekend trip out of it. It also has one of the most beautiful Churrieresque churches in the WORLD. If you like to see beautiful churches, this one is not to be missed.

You can see an old mine on a tour, and the caves of CacaHuimpia, which are pretty amazing,, and off the track, find a way to visit some of the older villages that still do crafts work they have done for millenia.

Morelia. It used to be a wondrous area, but lately, I've read too much about narco wars there. Not to be visited unless you hear its been cleaned up by Mexicans you trust.

This is a start.
Tortuga traveller

Veronicafrances

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2013
Ddrezner- Thanks for the advice, I will look at it carefullly then. I am only really looking to run 7-10 miles. And DaveHZ good point about the sea level, I currently live at -5 metres so it might be a shock when I get there!

Also thanks for the plentiful advice on things to see- it is all noted down.

Thanks guys!
I leave on 4th April and I cannot freeking wait!

Have a great day :)
Veronica

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

If you do go to the Archaeology Museum make sure to get there right when it opens. About an hour after it opens, it will be overrun with WAY too many tourist groups. At least that was my experience. Also, make sure to check out the Palacio de Bellas Artes, a really beautiful building with some amazing murals inside.

DaveHz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Talking about "bellas artes" between there and the "centro historico" there's a lot to see, most is pretty popular "el zocalo" "la torre latinoamericana", underrated however is the "palacio postal" a museum that shows the history of mexico's postal service. The building itself is very beautiful inside and out, if you find yourself walking the center of the city don't miss it.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 14th, 2013
Casa Lamm, in Colonia Roma, is one of my favorite DF museusm.

Tlatelolco is a fun neighborhood with lots of students and few tourists.

Coyoacan is a more bohemian sort of neighborhood south of downtown and its pollution. This is where the abovementioned Trotsky and Kahlo museums are. Take the green (2) subway line south from downtown to General Anaya station, get out, and the museums and Plazuela Hidalgo are within walking distance. The tortas and the little shop next to the 7-11 on the square are the best I've ever had.

Good luck going jogging. The altitude and pollution make it an ordeal. If you want to try, Chapultepec Park is the place to do it. Look out for the vicious attack squirrels.

There is a big Koreatown in Zona Rosa, around Cuauhtemoc. I love Korean food, and they have some good places to eat here.

Plaza Luis Cabrera, in Roma Sur, is a lovely little square surrounded by bars and restaurants where you'll find lots of local students.

Mexico City is so big and diverse, you won't have any trouble finding something that suits you. It's one of my favorite cities in the world.

Return to Mexico Travel