A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

Solo travelling in your 60s

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 27th, 2008
I was just wondering are there any people still travelling solo in there 60s.
Jean

Scribetrotter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

They certainly do! Of course there's Dervla Murphy, who in her 80s still traveled solo - and possibly still does. Apart from Dervla, I've certainly crossed solo travelers in their 80s on my trips - and many far younger ones. Women and men. Backpackers, staying in dorms just like the rest of us! You're never too old! And there are plenty of you out there...
Women on the Road
Inspiration for women who love to backpack on their own

moniak

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

There are lots of them hence the need of separate branches for older travellers, on this travel forum and other similar.
I'm in mid 50's. I used to travel with my children and friends, but then wanted to see other places that friends didn't fancy so I started to travel solo. In that way I'd say it's the best way of travelling - you have more freedom, you can go anywhere you like and stay as long as you want, without needing to compromise.
You'll be meeting lots of other people your age, and even older, and of course younger.

Dustyshoes

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2009
Hello
It can be done and I have seen solo travellers who are much beyond 60.

However, it would be prudent to do the following:
1) Do not travel in areas where there is no medical access
2) Check up on hospitals with the hotel where you have booked, before landing in that region/country
3) Do not keep late hours - muggers would think senior citizens to be easy prey

You are as young as you think you are. However, physically one cannot keep the same pace as one did as a teenager.
-----------------------------------
My blogs
The Writer's Cyberslate
Books on my shelves

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 30th, 2009
I am 62 on a 6 month trip through Mexico, Central America & Cuba looking for a place to live where there is no snow, also using it as a learning experience for my RTW in Sept. Travelled solo as all my friends think I am crazy, by bus from Puerto Vallarta to Panama City & the length of Cuba.

Started off staying in cheap hotels but switched to hostel in order to meet people & the last thing I worry about is where the hospitals are, sure not as spry as a teenager bet EVERYONE I have had the pleasure of meeting realises this & it is not a problem & not even mentioned.

Have found my little piece of paradise here in Antigua Guatemala & intend on returning permantely when I have completed my approx 16 month RTW. :D
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Daawgon

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2010
I'll be 67 in a few more months, and I've never had a stronger urge to travel. I do require a tad more comfort these days, but I still do it on the cheap since my income is none too large. I've found the perfect country in Vietnam - it fits my finances very well and I love the change from the over-industrialized world of N. America to that of SE Asia. I can really relax there, and I find it really safer than home. The people are fantastic and the food ain't too bad either. I'm off again in Nov '10. Come and join me and we'll have a few beers together or maybe dinner. John

Scribetrotter - I'm another fan of Dervla Murphy, a true character!

Jeanie99

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2010
Well my old post is still recieving the odd reply.
It's good to know that the over 60+ are still going strong. It's such a blessing to be in good health and be able to travel as one would wish, I am so thankful that this applies to me and my husband. Have a great time in Vietnam, we travelled there on our RTW trip in 2008 the countries set up for tourist and it's very easy to travel around.
We are off again in October for 3 months overlanding in Africa but this time we are going with a group for 7 weeks travelling in a purpose built truck and camping then 5 week on the Kenya coast, 2 weeks staying with a conservation group and 3 weeks in a hostel/guest house type place. So looking forward to the trip although I am enjoying being at home and getting some sailing in.
Regards

Jean

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2010
Still going, am in Australia now on my RTW that I started last Aug. Spent 6 months in SE Asia where I took a break in Bangkok to complete a TEFL course so I never have to stop traveling. :)
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Zanzibari

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 12th, 2010
I think I am going to purchase a Dervla Murphy book after reading this topic - any recommendations of which one to get? I am currently in East Africa.

Also, good on all of you guys and gals that are still travelling in your 60s, I hope I have the same enthusiasm as I grow older. :)
Ask me for suggestions for Zanzibar hotels and accomodation.

Jeanie99

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2010
I don't think the passion for travel passes as you get older. I caught the bug in the 60s when I hitched from the UK to Greece and here we are over 40 years later retired and still travelling.
We did have a long patch when we did the package holidays, work mortgage kids got in the way of serious travel. Although having said that we did hitch hike with the kids when our train broke down in Spain, no problem managed to get a lift straight away.
We'll continue no doubt until our health fails, that's usually the deciding factor.
Have a great time out there all you travellers but do keep safe.
Jean

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 18th, 2010
I'm getting to 50, and when I'm 60 I'll still be backpacking if I can find the time.

Some things do change.

I like comfort a bit better, and will pay a bit more for a private bathroom, but not too much more

As long as the health holds out, I can do plenty of things, though all-nighters aren't as popular as they were.

I don't like being banged around in the back of a pickup truck as much, and my back definitely doesn't like it. Still, I hiked in the Andes at age 49, and I'm still alive to talk about it. The trick is to keep in shape, reasonably, or the old muscles just don't do the same things they used to anymore.

Timmie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 18th, 2010
I turned 65 a few months ago and haven't lost the desire nor the ability to backpack and I am always encouraged when I come accross travelers older than myself. I'm certain there may come a day when I am no longer able or willing, but hopefully that won't be for quite some time. When I am in between trips I am just as active.
"Whatever you can or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". Goethe

Daawgon

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 21st, 2010
Zanzibari wrote:I think I am going to purchase a Dervla Murphy book after reading this topic - any recommendations of which one to get?

I suggest you start reading Murphy with her first book, Full Tilt, because I believe it's her best and also the most interesting. I quote from Wikipedia:

Full Tilt and other early writings

In 1963, Murphy set off on her first long-distance bicycle tour - a self-supported trip from Ireland to India. Taking a pistol along with other equipment aboard Roz, her Armstrong Cadet bicycle, she passed through Europe during one of the worst winters in years. In Yugoslavia, Murphy began to write a journal instead of mailing letters. In Iran she used her gun to frighten off a group of thieves, and "used unprintable tactics" to escape from an attempted rapist at a police station. She received her worst injury of the journey on a bus in Afghanistan, when a rifle butt hit her and fractured three ribs; however, this only delayed her for a short while. She wrote appreciatively about the landscape and people of Afghanistan, calling herself "Afghanatical" and claiming that the Afghan "is a man after my own heart." In Pakistan, she visited Swat (where she was a guest of the last wali, Miangul Aurangzeb) and the mountain area of Gilgit. The final leg of her trip took her through the Punjab region and over the border to India towards Delhi. Her journal was later published by John Murray as her first book Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle.[6]

After arriving in Delhi, Murphy volunteered to work with Tibetan refugees under the auspices of Save the Children. She spent five months in a refugee camp in Dharamsala run by Tsering Dolma, sister of the 14th Dalai Lama. She then cycled through the Kullu Valley, spending Christmas in Malana. Her journals for this time were published in her second book, Tibetan Foothold.

On returning to Europe, Murphy took part in a fundraising campaign for Save the Children,[5] and in 1965 she worked with another group of Tibetan refugees in Pokhara, Nepal (described in The Waiting Land).

In 1966, Murphy made her first trip to Africa. She travelled to Ethiopia and walked with a pack mule from Asmara to Addis Ababa, confronted by Kalashnikov-carrying soldiers on the way. This journey was described in her fourth book, In Ethiopia with a Mule.

You might have better luck finding this at the public library. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dervla_Murphy for a complete list of her writing.

AsiaBill

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 23rd, 2010
I"m 56 and am traveling solo for the past month after my wife went back to the Philippines and it's been a really good experience. Our daughter is moving back home for at least 6 month stints ato help manage and operate our Manila location thereby allowing me the freedom to go on even longer trips from 6 to 9 months. More than half the time I will be going solo as my wife prefers to travel only to certain destinations and for shorter periodm of time. Recently I watched an interview with Quincy Jones who at 78 years old just laughed at the question of when he'll slow down or retire so to speak. He answered that when you love what you're doing and your energy level remains high why would anyone want to change that style of living their lives? DITTO in my opinion.
Feel FREE to ask us questions about living, relocating & traveling in the Philippines; learn more by visiting our website.

Return to Still Going...