Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Some reflections on the 2008 minus 1 travel year

anytiff

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: 2007 travel year review
  • Added on: November 27th, 2007
2007 was the first time I travelled to a new city far away (~4 hour flight) where I knew no one, to take on a job for the summer. It was awesome to completely start from scratch in a relaxed environment, make new friends, and get to know the ins and outs of a new city! I met some generous and fantastic people and will definitely be back some time in my life!

Littlemustard

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 27th, 2007
Just Do Half...

i realized that if partaking in a mind altering drug in a foreign country do yourself a favor and do only 1/2 the amount that you think is right. Clearly follow this advice if you have found yourself face to face with a space cake that is hand grown in a Central American country and avoid a lot of embarassing moments and being thrown out of bars.

On the other hand, I managed to pay off my debt, despite a lay off, and pick a firm date for the big trip. I'm hoping to achieve more spiritual lessons then. Smile

AdventurousKate

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 29th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Joey:
The only thing I got going for me as an open date ticket on Jet Blue to any of the destinations that they fly from Tampa. This limits me to Boston, NYC and New Jersey.

Joey, I think your decision is all but obvious. ;-)

Come to my sweet city.
--------------------------
Crazy? Not quite.
It's all in the name of an interesting life.
http://www.katesadventures.com

AdventurousKate

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 29th, 2007
As for my year 2007, this wasn't a major travel year for a few reasons: I graduated from college last year, I started my first "real" job with an average starting salary for an English major, I moved into my first apartment, and I'm still saving like crazy for my RTW (fall '09!).

I've taken three trips, and they have the same theme: friends.

In mid-March, I went on an impromptu road trip to Quebec City with two of my best guy friends from college.

In late March, I went to Brownsville, Texas, to visit my friend, Beth, who is a teacher for Teach for America. We also went to South Padre Island and "tourist Mexico."

In June, I went to Washington, D.C., to visit my friend Alexa with our other two best friends from high school.

Some highlights:

Quebec:
--Just a warm, cozy weekend with yummy food, snow on the ground, good beer, and fun times.
--Broke my camera at the Ice Hotel -- but because of that, I got a new, much better camera that I love!

Texas:
--Met and danced on stage with VANILLA ICE in South Padre Island! No joke!
--I never went on a typical spring break during college, so our one night at South Padre was the whole experience -- we got crazy drunk, met some boys from Cornell, and spent the next day throwing up.
--Went to Mexico, where I've never been.
--I got to see a different part of the U.S. that I hadn't yet experienced. The Rio Grande Valley is unlike anywhere I've ever been -- it's one of the least expensive places in the country, pretty much everyone is Mexican, and the landscape is so different.
--(SERIOUSLY -- it's so cheap! My friend and her two roommates pay $300.00 a month for a GORGEOUS, brand-new, huge apartment with every amenity you can imagine! My apartment is a STEAL for the neighborhood and I pay $500.00!)

D.C.:
--Just a fun weekend with friends.
--Unfortunately, this was an opportunity to see how race-conscious my friends are. We grew up in a town north of Boston that is 97.9% white, even today. It really got to me, hearing how often they would comment about how many black people there were everywhere, especially when we were out at the club. :-/ I tried to ignore them.
--------------------------
Crazy? Not quite.
It's all in the name of an interesting life.
http://www.katesadventures.com

Violet156

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2007
2007 was better than 2006, how about that? In 2006 I was sick with love and trapped by mu habits. I cant believe this year has already gone by. I started off the year, new year's eve actually with the ex, I think I was Ok with us being friends now, but I was still moving gingerly. I got a job as a bartender earlier this year and that lasted till July, it is obscene how much they make! And I was quite happy to only be working 3 days a week. I went to San Francisco in March, that was a great time, a city that I have always wanted to go. Met up with a good old friend Jules whom I miss every day, NoCal has AMAZING veggie food, we also got a chance to go up to Napa, Sonoma Valley. I spent 2 months of the summer in Florida, then I moved in August and I have been working and saving money ever since - this saved money I am telling myself will not go to anything but travel for next year. I got in a few trips to NYC and one trip to DC. DC is very beautiful and clean, but NY is still the city that beckons me, one of my life goals is to live there someday.

2007 was all about picking up the pieces, checking bad habits, making smart yet hard decisions and preparing for 2008.

JessieS

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2007
2007 was looking to be the first year in many that I wouldn't get to do any travel, and then it turned out to be the year when I'd take my first overseas trip that wasn't just for "fun." And while job-hunting in a foreign country means that it's going to be awhile before we can actually make the jump, that trip in 2007 showed the husband and I that it's possible. And that's both excited and terrifying, both of which are wonderful feelings.
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

jk1071

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2007
2007 was the year of the Midwest and its exciting weather, Tennessee, and a fun 4 day weekend with my sister in Portland.

The first trip of 2007 was kicked off with a trip to Nebraska w/ my parents to visit a sick relative. The 2.5 hour drive to their house was the most excitement I had the entire trip. There had been tornado warnings we weren't aware of, and even though we didn't see any tornado, I felt like I was driving into one! I had never been in weather this extreme before or experienced continuous lightning bolts thrashing into the ground so close to our tiny rental car. And combined with that, the semi trucks whizzing by just about blew our car off the road! My arms were glued to the steering wheel by the time we got to the house. Oh & aside from the weather, the orange ruffy is truly amazing...who knew?!

My next midwest experience was in Illinois back in April. I got to experience the small town of Pontiac, the place where I will now be traveling to 5 times a year for work. Aside from the extremely forceful wind, Pontiac is known for its maximum security all male penitentiary, the courthouse where President Lincoln once practiced law, the Route 76 Museum, and in my opinion, the best Dairy Queen around.

I also spent a week in Tennessee doing all of the touristy stuff, and I learned that they've got some of the nicest, most down-to-earth people around and also sweet tea to die for!

But the best trip for me this year was a 4 day weekend hanging out with my sister in Portland. This is the first trip she had where she left the kids & hubby at home, & it was just the 2 of us. I forgot how much fun we have together! Now we're planning on going somewhere once a year, just the 2 of us...I can't wait!

Jen

Previous

Return to Best of the Boards