Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace, the Tower Bridge... There's no shortage of things to do and see in London!

Something exciting in London

happyhormones

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: london
  • Added on: March 2nd, 2009
I was wondering if there is anything particularly exciting to do in London. I'm sure all the typical tourist spots are great fun and I'm looking forward to soaking in all that London has to offer, but I'm thinking of one major thing that would be awesome to do in London, somewhere along the lines of paragliding in Switzerland, bunjee-jumping/sky-diving in NZ, hiking the Inca Trail in Peru, etc. Not necessarily adventurous, but something significant. Anyone? :)

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2009
You could go indoor skydiving up in Milton Keynes. I don't believe there are all that many indoor skydiving centers in the world right now.

totem

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2009
u could always go to pod london which is a big zorbing park in whyteleafe. You can get there in about 45 minutes from central london (victoria).

if u dont know what zorbing is basically u get strapped into this massive bouncy ball then roll down a hill!! some friends of mine did it and said it was terrifying but a fantastic experience :lol: might be the sort of thing ur looking for!

happyhormones

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 26th, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions!

larginejohnson

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 16th, 2009
Thanks for a nice suggestion. i want to visit London in my next vacation. I feel really excitement for it. If i will get a nice hotel to stay in London then my journey will be very excited for me.

Frank Wilson

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 28th, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 28th, 2010
Hmmm... I cannot think of anything awesome to do in London that is uniquely London. The closest thing that comes to mind is the Circle Line Pub Crawl where you stop at every single station (35 of them) in the Circle line of the London Underground and visit a nearby pub all within a span of 12 hours or something. Google it up. I think there are meetup groups that organize this. Just make sure you don't fall off the tracks.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 29th, 2010
I am heading to London in a couple months with friends and have been several times to see all the sights so I am also trying to find somehting interesting. So far we have come up with the London Dungeons, Thorpe Park (horror theme-park with some supposedly crazy rollercoasters), and heading to the Absolut Ice-Bar (a bar made entirely of ice; chairs, tables, cups, etc.). The Zorbing thing sounds great too and we are definitley hitting the Circle Line pub crawl.

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 30th, 2010
The trouble is you are comparing outdoor activities in Switzerland/NZ with a big city London. You're never going to get activities like that very often in the big cities. Something exciting to do in England is another question, and mroe along the lines of the comparisons you're making, but as for London it's unique points are more to do with its historic sights than exciting activities.

For something very English though I would suggest trying to go to a Premier League football match. This could be done in most of the cities in England of course and London has several top league clubs, although it has to be said you would find a better atmosphere and bigger crowds (other than at Arsenal's near silent stadium) at a match in one of the large northern cities.
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 30th, 2010
i am also looking for something that will be uniquely london. ill be there in november. im not sure what sports there would be that time of year. i would love to go to a football match. there is a team here, but something tells me the fan environment is not nearly as exciting here. all the crazy fans would be entertaining. if theres not football this time, is there any other cool sporting evens that time of year?
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 2nd, 2010
There will definitely be football at that time of year. The football season runs from August to May and there are countless matches so you should have no problem finding one in November - getting tickets is sometimes tricky (and expensive) for the top matches but try and book tickets early on the websites of the home team for any given match.

Also worth check the thefa.com for England football fixtures as there may be a Euro qualifying international at that time in Wembley Stadium.

What other sporting events will be in November? Well there are always a series of Rugby internationals in November, England usually host matches with one or two of Australia, New Zealand or South Africa plus some other nations around that time in Twickenham, which is on the western edge of London. There is also club rugby in various places, although some are a bit further out of London. The Harlequins club play in Twickenham too (at a smaller stadium next door to the huge international stadium).
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 2nd, 2010
I've seen a few football games in London (Arsenal, Fulham, Tottenham). Getting tickets based on my experience:

Chelsea: forget about it
Arsenal: highly unlikely
Fulham: possible
Tottenham: possible
West Ham: never tried

As far as rugby, I've been entirely shut out. The tickets are not even close to cheap and they do sell out quite a bit in advance.

There isn't much else going on in London in November. Lord Mayor Show (not all that exciting), turning on of Christmas Lights for various streets (not all that exciting either).

There is however a great festival on 11/5 in Otter St Mary where they carry lit tar barrels around on their backs. It's one of my favorite festivals anywhere. But, it is no where close to London and definitely isn't easy to get all the way out there and back. Plus, I am not too sure whether it is actually going to happen this year (its not entirely a safe event).

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 4th, 2010
thanks for the info guys, this will be of a great help. im also going to try to do a little meetup in london with some other bootsnall members. so if you guys are around, you should join.
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Frank Wilson

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 11th, 2010
London has almost all kind of excitement you are looking for. There plenty of clubs and places to go. London attractions are the most popular excitement that you could have, if you are a football fan you have plenty of excitement, if your artist or a art lover London has plenty of gallerias.
www.tourlondoncity.com/ for more information.

Return to London Travel