Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Sorry guys....but CAN I get Tampax in Asia? India? Africa

Lucylou

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 15th, 2007
Mim - Myself and a couple of mates just ordered some Keepers. They arrived at my friends yeaterday so haven't seen it yet. You can get them from an online site in OZ here . We ended up ordering from the States though because (as is often the case) it worked out cheaper.

I guess growing up with a hippy mum who believed in "knowing your body" has made me pretty immune to all this "messy/gross" stuff...The blood is just lining that was just sitting there ignored and ungross all month...it suddenly becomes gross when it decides to move out?

Mim

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 18th, 2007
Success!!!

I tried a few pharmacies, but they had only ever heard about them. I googled it and found an Australian site selling the "Keeper" in latex form. I have ordered it and can't wait to try it out.

If it works out well then I'll arrange to order a Silicone one for my sister - she doesn't take too kindly to latex - and give it to her for her birthday. Aha, I hear you all saying "That's a weird birthday present!" It isn't so weird when you think that for Xmas she gave me a (brand new) re-useable pad .
She warned me that it was an unconventional present... Roll Eyes
Mim
Ooops! Did I do that?
blogs.bootsnall.com/Mim/
Photos

Brianne

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 19th, 2007
Periods are over-rated. I haven't had any problems or been inconvenienced at all while traveling.
Going to New Zealand at the end of March 2008!!!

Rachra

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2007
Did you know that there is an injection you can get which stops your periods altogether for 9 months I believe. Means you dont have to pack loads of pills or have messy things like tampons/towels/divacups to play around with. Although you do have to wonder what this does to your body, but if your only going to do it once it'll will save a lot of trouble!
Its available from your doctor in the UK. Not sure about the US tho. Definately gonna go for it. Dont wanna being hot and sweaty AND on my period!

Rachra

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

ahhh dont bother with the injection unless theyve changed it in the last few years. check this message board out. http://vbulletin.thesite.org/archive/index.php/t-37063.html

ickis

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I'll start by saying I didn't check the message board out, but I assume it's a bunch of people saying they get migraines from it and stuff like that.
One of the big problems with the injection style contraceptives are that if you do have adverse side effects (migraines being a big one, also uncontrolled bleeding I think) you can't really do much about it. You just have to wait for it to wear off (which has got to suck badly).

So if you're thinking of going that option, consider the implanon (or whatever brand name it sells under elsewhere). It's a piece of plastic they put just under the skin in your upper arm (under local anesthetic, it really doesn't hurt and heals quickly) and lasts for 3 years. Most people don't have problems with it and it stops their periods altogether (or almost altogether, which can actually be more annoying because you can't predict it), but has the advantage that if you want it out early you just go back to the doctor and it takes about 10min to get rid of (most of that time waiting for the anesthetic to kick in) and you even get normal fertility back in about 2 weeks (or so they say, can't say I've tested that claim myself!).

DakLak

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2007
IN VIETNAM the local population use pads (paper or sponge).

Tampons are available at Western-style convenience stores which are predominantly located in the larger cities and go under various names including METRO and C-PLUS.

They cost extra but ex-pats don't seem to mind.

In China pads seem to be popular - I scanned the better supermarkets in BeiJing and NanNing - with female acquantances - and I could only locate pads. Some married females thought the concept of tampons would substitute for husbands!

ALSO CONTACT LENS fluid is READILY available in China, as are disposable napkins for babies. Wimpy deodorant and a wide range of Western cosmetics are available in both these cities, as is shaving cream (for men) - in UPSCALE SUPERMARKETS and DEPARTMENT STORES.

Back in VIETNAM deodorant, disposable diapers and deodorant are essentially absent from local stores.
-------------------------------->
What's a Thorn Tree?
Is it like the tree I saw in Manila with all the garbage sticking to it like leaves?

Cristi Farrell

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2007
Hate to break it to y'all, but in Phuket, there was only OB (at Tesco)!!!! No tampax anywhere. Same goes for India except they don't believe in tampons at all in the South. Didn't even check the north. When I found Tampax in London, I stocked up!!!
Cristi Farrell
"Adventure Goddess"
http://www.ANovelPath.com

The world is a book and those who do not travel only read a page. -St. Augustine

Mim

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 11th, 2007
<<< Has tried the Keeper!! Yes it works well. Highly recommended. Thumbs Up

The first few times were a bit difficult as I tried to get the hang of it. I promise it gets easier after the first few goes. I still tend to use liners with it as well, but I have found something new - an environmentally sound, flushable panty liner. Check out "Fushaway". I found this Canadian product in 'Priceline' stores in Australia. Not sure what other countries or stores it's available in.
Mim
Ooops! Did I do that?
blogs.bootsnall.com/Mim/
Photos

Brooke vs. the World

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2007
I just got mine a month ago and YES it is WEIRD at first, but by the end of my cycle I was convinced this is an awesome product... highly highly highly recommend it!!!
Brooke vs. the World - Travel Blog | WhyGo Australia - Australia Travel Guide | @brookeschoenman - Tweet Me

cmw1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2007
Thanks for the tip Mim!

While I am still a little Eek at the idea I decided about two pages ago to try them. except like you I had not really heard of them here in Aust.

I've always tended to pack as many tampons as I needed for my trip in the past which can be annoying and take up quite a bit of room so am willing to at least try the keeper... even if I am still squirming at the idea!

Now if there was only an easy way out of taking a heap of nurofen with me it would be fantastic... alas though I think that is not to be.
My Website: Walker's Trails

Mim

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by cmw1:
Now if there was only an easy way out of taking a heap of nurofen with me it would be fantastic... alas though I think that is not to be.

OOOOH the Nurofen!! I hear you there. Keepers do not stop the period pain - not everything is perfect!! And I'm not about to stuff a bunch of whole cloves into my twat (see the Home Remedies thread for use of cloves) Darth Mavis
Mim
Ooops! Did I do that?
blogs.bootsnall.com/Mim/
Photos

cmw1

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2007
oh dear god.... Crazy.... I think I will stick with the Nurofen!

After all it is only for 3-4 days a month... sigh.... and does not really take up that much room. I'd rather ditch the rest of the medical kit than the little bottle, or two, of Nurofen!
My Website: Walker's Trails

Karien

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2007
I've been using a mooncup for 2 months and its GREAT!

Has anyone thought of getting a Mirena (contraceptive device they plant in your uterus)Your Gyni insert it and it stays there for 5 year and should make your period disapear within 6 months.

ickis

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2007
Karien,
Sounds scary... I don't like the idea of something that's actually inside the uterus. I have an implanon, which is an implant they put in your upper arm.

You can't see it (but can feel it, which is sort of reassuring) so it's not noticeable to others. It lasts 3 years but can be put in by almost any GP. It can be taken out by any GP who can manage to give you a local anesthetic, make a tiny cut with a scalpel and manipulate forceps in a coordinates fashion (i.e. any GP). To me that makes it a better option because if for some reason you need to have it taken out earlier or whatever you'll be able to find someone who can do it for you anywhere. Also, if in the unlikley event that it gets infected (always a possibility with any of these things!) it's much less likely to lead to complications than an intrauterine device.

I'm on my second one now and haven't had any problems with it. Another girl I know is on her third one and the only issue she's had is that one of the doctors she went to wasn't quite so good as the others and left a tiny scar, but you can only see it when she points it out anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to Best of the Boards