Ask SouthAfricaLogue.com and other SA fans about all the hidden secrets of Cape Town, Jo'burg, shark diving, safaris and many more highlights of South Africa.

South Africa for a week?

E

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: south africa
  • Added on: July 30th, 2010
Any suggestions on Agendas if we only have time to be in South AFrica (arriving in Joberg) for a week? Trying to figure out if it's even worth it...Thanks in advanced!

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2010
Jo'burg is the point of arrival for most people going to the Sabi Sands or Kruger Nat'l Park. You could plan to spend 2-3 days on a private game reserve or at the national park and then either fly to Cape Town for a few days or maybe Durban as its a lot closer to Jo'burg. I just spent 1 month in South Africa and loved it! Good luck with your planning...

Renee

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

I also just spent 6 weeks in South Africa and it's an amazing country. A week will only leave you wanting to go back to see more. Still, if you have a week, I'd take it.

What would you want to see and what kind of budget do you have? What time of year will you be there? Here's four options:

1. Either self drive thru Kruger NP, or for more chances of seeing animals, do the game reserve thing. I went with Gomo Gomo tours and they did a really good job. Saw 4 of the Big Five in one day plus plenty of other cool stuff. I spent 4 days on the safari and felt it was enough. That gives you a couple more days to enjoy Jo'burg or self drive part other parts of the park.

2. Fly to Cape Town (internal flights are cheap) and spend the week there. It's beautiful city and there's enough to fill a week. Hike all over Table Mountain, Robben Island, Camps Bay, etc, etc

3. Fly to Cape Town, rent a car and do a loop that takes you south to Hermanus (whale watching and shark diving), Cape Argulhas (southernmost point in Africa and very cool) and come back via Franschhoek & Stellenbosch (wine regions). The drive is pretty spectacular as well.

4. Fly to Cape Town and take the Baz Bus up the coast to Port Elizabeth. Lots of cool coastal towns and hostels along this route.

I've done 1-3 last month and happy to give more details on any/all of them if they appeal. For #4, search these forums for 'Baz Bus' and there's plenty of posts to give you more info on that.

Have a great trip!
Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

E

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Thank you very much for your replies. I have been to South Africa before, spending a combined 3-4 weeks between there and Namibia (which was beautiful by the way) - so I completely know what it feels like wanting more after seeing it once. Even more significant is the fact that one of my best friends lives in Jo'Burg, which is a catch 22-spend time or catch up or explore (?).

I have been to Capetown (StellenBosch, Cape of Good Hope), Pretoria, and the Greater Jo'Burg region. So looking at perhaps other places to go...Good call on Kruger - haven't been there yet.

I know this is a short trip, but an opportunity I can't miss. I hope to return to Africa in the future, climb Kilimajaro, see Victoria Falls, help out in Ghana, see the Serengeti. But that's for another long sabbatical Im planning in two years or so.

Thoughts anyone?

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

Well if you haven't had your fill of big animals from your previous trips, then a combo of friend-time and safari time in Kruger or one of the many other parks not far from Jo'burg sounds like a good use of your limited time.

E

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 3rd, 2010
Hydro,

What are your thoughts on 2 days of Safari in Kruger (while spending time with my best friend) and perhaps a trip on the otter trail for 3-4 days and a bungee jump on tsitsikamma? Does that sound like a decent plan?

Thanks again!

E

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 3rd, 2010
I wasn't able to experience the Otter Trail or a bungy jump, so can't offer much there. Just didn't have time to make it to all the places wanted to.

2 days on safari in Kruger at this time of year may very well be enough. I saw a LOT of animals in two days, but I have no idea if I was just lucky or if that's the norm. Are you thinking self-drive or going with a company?

E

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 14th, 2010
Most probably on our own, unless you think a company would be better and more efficient choice?

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 16th, 2010
I imagine you'll be able to see a fair amount of stuff just on your own. I don't have a lot of experience with that, but on the game drive I went to in a different park, you could certainly see a fair amount from the road and just following other game drive vehicles you'd probably see what they see. You also have the flexibility of staying or moving on when you want.

For me, I had no idea what I was doing so a company was a better choice for me and I had a great experience. Doing it by yourself is no doubt cheaper and if you don't have any of the elusive animals on your list of must-sees then you'll probably see 85% of what you'd see on a guided drive.

IloveAfrica

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 18th, 2010
Self drive is the way to go as Krugar has tarred road going through it there are also nice things to see around the park in Sabi. A small car like a VW polo is relatively cheap to hire and you then get the luxury of staying and stopping when you want. Have you thought about visiting Saint Lucia on the coast a lovely spot with lots of cheap self catering accomadation. Hope this helps Jason.

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 18th, 2010
Agreed, Jason. St Lucia is a wonderful place. Well worth a stop if you have time.

E

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 19th, 2010
First of all, thanks for the help folks!

I seemed to have found myself in a bit of a predicament now - My lady has never been to SA and is wrapped up in making sure she gets to see EVERYTHING while she's there with me for a week. We have Kruger planned out, as well as bungee jumping in tsitsikama, and of course, spending time with my best friend there in Jo'Berg. The problem is I just got invited to do a lecture in Capetown at some point while Im there, and I don't know how I can fit all of that!

Any suggestions? Flights on Kulula? Baz-Bus? What is the concensus?

Thanks in advanced!

E

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 19th, 2010
To save time it sounds like you'll be better off flying between major hubs. Mango, Kulula, 1Time and even SAA have very reasonable prices for one-way flights between cities. It's worth comparing each of them to see has the best price and flight times to suit your schedule.

The Baz Bus will take too long. The trick, I think, is to show your lady just enough so that she leaves wanting more and you can organize another trip with more time sometime in the near future :)

IloveAfrica

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 25th, 2010
Definately fly last minute flights are cheap, a lot cheaper and quicker than the overarated overpriced baz bus, take a city to city or intercape before you even think about wasting money on the baz bus you have one week four days round trip to krugar and st lucia then fly to cape town see a close b y vinyard climb table mountain and visit a nice beach like Llandudno, quick shop around the waterfront evening on long street back home for work on monday. Sorted, hope this helps Jason

E

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 4th, 2010
Thanks Jason. Kinda have a plan together...Let me know what you think.

Arrive Saturday, 5 pm. Hang out with friend to see night life that night.

Sunday - Chill Out, Catch up

Monday - Head to Kruger

Tuesday - Kruger

Wednesday - Leave Kruger for Port Elizabeth (fly), rent car and drive to Tsitsikama...Bungy Jump...Stay in Plattensburg Bay

Thursday - Drive Garden Route to Cape town, stopping by Vineyards along the way

Friday - Lecture (im giving one) in Cape Town

Saturday - Table Top, Robben Island

Sunday - fly to Joberg, lunch with friend, fly that night back to US

I know...hectic....

Thoughts?

Next

Return to South Africa Travel