If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

South America Long-Term Volunteer

Asheai

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 28th, 2010
Hello!

I am looking for any information about long-term volunteer placements in South America.

First, about myself: I am a 24 year old female, Canadian. I will be graduating next year with a bachelor's in International Relations. I will also have studied Spanish for 1 year. I am interested in a long-term (1 year) placement in South America working with development issues. The type of volunteer placement I would prefer is working with women's rights, poverty, microcredit, or human rights. I am not too worried about which country in South America - as long as it is a Spanish speaking one.

Does anybody have any NGOs, organizations, or ideas of where I could find such a placement?

Thank you!!

Alyssa-MV

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 28th, 2010
Check out Un Techo para mi Pais. http://untechoparamipais.org
You build houses, basically, but they're also involved in many development project. It's not really permanent but once you volunteer it's very easy to get involved with the organisation and worked for them constantly. Probably not what you're looking for but it's what I know. They're present in most south american countries.
I found this blog in spanish with a lot of info on the subject too.http://voluntariadoyturismo-peru.blogspot.com/
Maybe you could also try contacting local municipalities.
I'm sure you can find some place to apply your skills, so sorry I can't be more helpful, and best of luck.

sarahg

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 30th, 2010
I don't have specific recommendations but you may find this site useful:
http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net

Asheai

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 30th, 2010
Awesome link! Thanks Sarahg!

Return to Living Abroad