Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

South America Recommendations and Raves

CarlosAlbert

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 26th, 2009
The majority of tourists who come here leave unharmed, but , unfortunately some do get robbed and hurt. It all depends on how careful you are. Try to keep your valuables in the Hotel safe and try not to look so much like a tourist, don't walk around with your camera, cellphone and everything dangling all over the place. :D
If you need information regarding a Chile wine tour PM me.

Silvia1

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2009
Cusco ( Inca Trail Machupicchu ) VS Chachapoyas Leymebamba ( Inca Trail Lake of The Condors )
Machupicchu is not all Peru
Lake of The Condors ( Leymebamba Chachapoyas )
Archeological complex composed of six mausoleums, presents architectural features of the Chachapoyas Civilization and is decorated with paintings in which were found close to one hundred bales funeral, fine fabrics, wooden carved ceramics, decorated quipus mates, crowns and various objects of great value. It is located in the district of Leymebamba. To reach the site, it is necessaryto to go by horse an average of ten hours from Leymebamba.
To visit all the archeological site, 3 days are required not only becuase of the location of the archaeological ress but also because of the rough area.
It's called "Lake of the Condors" because the first people who discovered it, stated that over the impressive lake, whose waters are blue-green, in previous years Condors flying could be appreciated . Around this beautiful lagoon are the old buildings (mausoleums) and in its interiors were found funerary bales, objects and crafts, which have now been transferred to the museum of Leymebamba.
This is a horseback expedition to the mausoleum where 219 mummies were discovered and documented on the Discovery Channel in 1998. This site is located on a cliff above a huge alpine lake. In the rainy season this is behind a waterfall from the cliff above. This appears to be a very sacred site where dead leaders were mummified and brought here from far away. In Leymebamba we will see these mummies and a large treasure of artifacts in the museum donated by the Austrians.

Constant Nomad

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 8th, 2009
Grace Stanat wrote:Hello all. Here are some links from our recent RTW travel site that could be of some use:Brazil entriesBrazil low down (summary, tips, etc.)Brazil pixChile low down (summary, tips, etc.)Chile pixBuenos Aires entriesBuenos Aires low down (summary, tips, etc.)Buenos Aires pixColonia low down (in Uruguay, near Buenos Aires)Colonia pixHope this helps!Grace

jd2805

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 17th, 2009
Mountain Lodges of Peru http://www.mountainlodgesofperu.com runs the best trips to Machu Picchu. You can even take an equestrian ride through a desert, to the beach, and up to the ruins! Stay in deluxe lodges each night to relax and eat a great meal in the local style.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/experiencemlp
Twitter: @experiencemlp

hammocks4all

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 16th, 2009
Argentina (last there: Feb - May 2008):
1) La Cumbre (near Cordoba) and La Cumbre Hostel. Definitely try paragliding (parapentes) and the 2 day horseback trip (cablegatas) arranged through the hostel. The paragliding was amazing. I loved running off a cliff! The horseback trip takes you through scenic pampas grass covered hills to a 100 yr +old family owned finca. Homemade gnocchi and red wine for dinner. La Cumbre is something I will rave about for years to come.

2) Talampalla Canyon (sometimes spelled Talampaya) I especially liked the town of San Agustín de Valle Fértil, La Rioja region. Small enough to be friendly, and established enough to have an ATM. Stayed at Campo Base Valle de la Luna hostel. Love those red sand deserts. Heard Andean Condors flying. Yes, I saw them, but they were close enough, and it was quiet enough to hear their wingbeats. No, I wasn't playing dead.

3)recommendation re: $$ in Argentina: don't rely on traveller's cheques, ATM all the way. For some reason, the TC's are a pain in the a$$ to cash. Banks don't take them, you have to go to special money cambios and there may only be one, if any, in town. That cambio may not be open every day, and may have special rules about cashing...blah..blah...blah. In Chile, the TC's were just fine at any bank and the ATM's worked great too.

ecuSurf

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2009
This is a great, affordable volunteer program I participated in, in Ecuador.
It's a volunteer and learn to surf trip all-inclusive trip.. and you can even apply for scholarships and save a lot of money! I highly recommend it..

www.ecosurfvolunteers.org

Nadine

Lancer786

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2010
CarlosAlbert wrote:The majority of tourists who come here leave unharmed, but , unfortunately some do get robbed and hurt. It all depends on how careful you are. Try to keep your valuables in the Hotel safe and try not to look so much like a tourist, don't walk around with your camera, cellphone and everything dangling all over the place. :D

Thanks for the advise but don't you think that its too much for someone who is on trip to some where want to explore and capture the scenes visiting places, meeting people, asking information? Yes they must be careful but there should be no such advise for tourists to keep away from all activities.

JordanRHughes

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 10th, 2010
This thread is great for resources. Thanks for all the shares especially this one.

Jordan

GCStanat wrote:Hello all. Here are some links from our recent RTW travel site that could be of some use:Brazil entriesBrazil low down (summary, tips, etc.)Brazil pixChile low down (summary, tips, etc.)Chile pixBuenos Aires entriesBuenos Aires low down (summary, tips, etc.)Buenos Aires pixColonia low down (in Uruguay, near Buenos Aires)Colonia pixHope this helps!Grace

WanderingTrader

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2010
Best if you bring cash with you and not take credit cards as not many places are use to taking them.
Argentina flights look at aerolinas argentinas
Colombia flights look for avianca airlines

WillyMar

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 30th, 2011
A heads up if you´re wanting to go to Carnaval de Oruro in Bolivia in March.

Bolivia Volunteers have some spaces in accommodation with a seat in the main square.
http://www.boliviavolunteers.webs.com

Lisatravelstheworld

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
I just got back from an absolutely unforgettable month in Chile and Argentina. I worked with a small company in Minnesota that has great local partners throughout the countries and they helped me build an awesome itinerary that was a mix of independent travel with some great guided excursions. They partner with a range of hotels and got me great prices overall. Everything from the hotels to the meals with locals (visited the coolest farm on Chiloe Island) was perfect. I have to say that Knowmad Adventures helped me have possibly the coolest trip in my over 30 years of traveling (I'm almost 60!), getting to know great locals, staying in fabulous hotels, learning so much about local cultures, just incredible. A big thumb's up for Knowmad Adventures (http://www.knowmadadventures.com). Ask for Jordan, the owner, and tell him Lisa sent you!

Thanks,
Lisa Harris

Erik Yglesia

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2011
Going from Europe, from my opinion a good choice is first staying at Buenos Aires, Argentina, for a week or so. Then Iguazu Falls is a good stop, by air or by bus, for going further to Florianopolis in Brazil, the city with about 42 playas. After that... Go back, or go further to another pearl: Rio de Janeiro. Depends on your time and money!

SpotlightBuenosAires

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011
In Argentina you need to go to Iguazu Falls in the North, and El Calafate and Bariloche in the South.
Of course the majority of your trip to Argentina should be spent in Buenos Aires - Our favorite city!
http://SpotlightBuenosAires.com
A cultural resource for expats, visitors and locals to find information and opinions about BA’s food, art, music, architecture and culture.

Previous

Return to South America Travel