Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

South America Warnings

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 10th, 2005
This is a new thread of South America warnings. It is to be used for South America specific warnings only. Warnings include instances of robbery in a certain part of a city, bad hostel experiences, etc. As a content-rich thread, we do not want any back-and-forth or questions. Please direct all questions via Private Messages (Click on "Go" in the left hand corner, select "My Space" and then "Private Messages") to the poster. You can also issue a PM by clicking on the poster's name and selecting "Private Message". Any post that does not contribute relevant information will be deleted. Examples include: responses to previous posts in the thread and questions. The information can be on any city, region or country in South America. When reading these experiences, please remember that there are two sides to every story and warnings should be issued sparingly.

Sor Raimunda

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 10th, 2005
Warning Argentina

All the prices that you see are expressed in PESOS ARGENTINOS, not in Dollars or Euros.

i.e. If you want to buy a t-shirt and the price is "8" don't ask if they are "8 dollars". Unfortunately if they see that you are a tourist thay will try to make to pay in Dollars or Euros. And the product will cost you more than what it really costs.

Gabriela

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2005
Warning Aero Continente/Nuevo Continente airlines (Peru)

From the US State Department...

"As of June 1, 2004, it is illegal for any person within the United States, as well as U.S. citizens, nationals, and resident aliens elsewhere, to fly on Aero Continente. Persons who violate this provision are subject to criminal and civil penalties under U.S. law."

Nuevo Continente was formerly known as Aero Continente, so I'm guessing that the same thing goes for Nuevo Continente. Just something to keep in mind if you're in Peru and looking to book a flight...they're a common carrier. However, I have not heard of what the government really does if they catch you flying on this airline...

crackerjillian

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 14th, 2005
I flew Aero Continente this summer unaware of any advisories and without problems. I have no idea what the government's position is on this or why the advisory is posted, but it was the cheapest, easiest route to the Amazon. They don't seem to be enforcing this in any active way, though it may be impossible to book through American travel agents.

Otherwise, beware of the bad neighborhoods in which most of the bus station locations in Lima are located. Theft, theft, scams, and theft. Even walking on the street, locals would approach me to make sure I knew what I was doing there, where I was going and to warn me not to wander off of the major streets. Just be on your toes and don't look away from your bags for even a second.

Kath

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2005
Warning: Bag slashing in Cusco

Yesterday my purse was slashed in Cusco, near the market. I was crowded by a group of people on the sidewalk and couldn´t move. I knew something must be wrong so elbowed and shoved my way out. Someone had slashed my purse open but not gotten away with anything except a plastic bag of tampons...

Even though I didn´t really lose anything it really ruined my day... Be careful!

Kath
There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark.

cdr94001

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2005
About 2 weeks ago my boyfriend had his dayback stolen from an Ormeno bus in the La Victoria section of Lima headed for Huaraz. He had it in the overhead storage and tied it to two bars to secure it. As it was late and we had a long week, we both had our eyes closed for less than 5 minutes and it was gone... probably one of the venders that they allow on the bus during the layover. His prescription glasses were in this bag and as he insisted upon filing a report with the police (the bus actually drove to the police station), the company agreed to replace his glasses, which they actually did do once we reached Huaraz!
not all those who wander are lost... tolkien

Sisuphile

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2005
Warning: Corcovado Statue (the big Jesus) in Rio de Janeiro

Met about 7 people at my hostel who's cameras of wallets had been ripped off out of their bags at the top. Pay extra attention and make sure to keep it in front.

Also, at the bottom, if a cab driver named Marcelo, (looks typical Brasilian skeej) approaches you at the bottom to take you up to the top for less than the train, you can do it but watch your stuff and if he offers to take you back to your home pass up, it'll cost you much more than it did to take you there.

bigmatt

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2005
WARNING! BE CAREFUL IN PERU!

About 6 months ago when I was traveling in Peru, I was heading to Cuzco and some guy tried to steal my snickers bar. I refused and he shot me 13 times in the back and four times in the head. It was scary since I'm allergic to gunshot wounds; they cause me to die!

christianito

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2005
oh i feel really so sorry by that .. im from LIMA and i know that there are parts of this city where its very dangerous but there are beautiful places where you can enjoy so quiet your visit .. and i would like recommend the follows distrits..
-san isidro
-la molina
-surco
-san borja
-miraflores
-barranco
and i would like recommend too "LOS OLIVOS" its in the north of lima, a place very quiet 15 mins away of lima center i hope this information could helps u and i can tell you that we are trying eliminate the thieves from the city but its a hard work that would take time
regards ..

Robert L Bass

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2005
Rio de Janeiro - Copacabana Beach

The moment you step onto the sand someone may approach and offer a "cadera" (chair). This usually includes a "guarda sol" (umbrella) and a little 2-legged table for drinks, etc, which is attached to the arm of your beach chair. The guys who do this are not official anone. They're just trying to make a living renting chairs and providing service to the turistas. Most are honest and really pleasant but a few are not.

Ask how much "conta costa?" BEFORE you accept anything. It's usually around R$2 (US$0.75) for a chair and umbrella during the off season. A "cerveja" (beer) is about the same. They'll also offer to bring you a sandwich, burger or "coco" (coconut with the top chopped off and a straw inserted) for R$1-2.

One unscrupulous characters who hangs out on Copacabana beach across from the famous Help! disco will try to charge you R$150 for a couple of beers and use of his chair for half an hour. He did this to me on my first day (I must have looked totally gringo) in Rio. I argued him down to about half that much but it kind of spoiled my first day there.

The rest of the month was truly wonderful. Brazilians are extremely friendly people. Everywhere you go someone will strike up a conversation with you. Many speak at least a little English, but if you want to get to know people I suggest you try to learn a little Portuguese.
Fala Portugues?

Goku

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Hi, I was born in Lima but moved to the U.S when I was very young. I went to Peru last Dec/Jan (Lima/Cuzco/Mancora/Piura) and found it safe. Regardless, one should be careful especially in Lima.

Lima – be careful at night when in the "Centro", which is where the main Cathedral, Presidential Palace, and other old buildings are located. Also, be particularly careful around the outer blocks of the Centro at any time of the day. During the day the Centro is safe.

Also, Callao and La Victoria are not that safe either. If you are in any of the districts that christianito posted above then you are fine. Plus this is where must of the fun stuff for young people and tourist are.

Cusco – the Main Plaza, where the two Cathedrals are, is safe. There is cop on every corner. Cusco is very touristy and you will see more Europeans than locals, especially at night. In Cusco, steer clear of very crowed out in the open markets. Go to the indoor markets, they are not as cool, but the locals will warn you about the open air markets.

In general Peru is an increadibly beautiful and safe country. Like every other country just be aware of your surroundings, trust your instincts and use common sense

Goku

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by bigmatt:
WARNING! BE CAREFUL IN PERU!

About 6 months ago when I was traveling in Peru, I was heading to Cuzco and some guy tried to steal my snickers bar. I refused and he shot me 13 times in the back and four times in the head. It was scary since I'm allergic to gunshot wounds; they cause me to die!

WOW, you have a great story to tell your grandkids!

bigmatt

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2005
Oh, Goku. I wish I could have grandkids one day, but I can't even have children, since that guy who tried still my chocolate bar in Perú also shot off my balls. Now, I have no balls.

Goku

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2005
quote:
Originally posted by bigmatt:
Oh, Goku. I wish I could have grandkids one day, but I can't even have children, since that guy who tried still my chocolate bar in Perú also shot off my balls. Now, I have no balls.

Yeah, those bar hoping chocolate bar stealing Peruvians are notorious for shooting balls off, it's some type of big ego trip for them. Let me know how everything pans out.

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2005
Buenos Aires -- be wary of the sketchy people hanging around the Thinker sculpture at the Plaza de Congresso!!! One of the fuckers stole my camera. Hija de puta!!!

Next

Return to South America Travel