Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Southeast Asia Visas

Murph on the Move

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: vietnam, cambodia, thailand, laos, indonesia, southeast asia, visas
  • Added on: March 19th, 2015
I'm planning on traveling to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia starting in August/September. I want to go to each country for how long the visas allow. I've looked into visa requirements for each country and it seems like you can get one when crossing the border pretty easily for each country other than Vietnam which needs to be applied for in advance.

I wanted to get people's opinions on what order they would travel in. If they found it easier entering Cambodia from Thailand or Vietnam, if it was easier to start in Vietnam since it has to be arranged ahead of time, and how it works leaving a country and coming back. Any info like this or that you think would be helpful is appreciated.

Thanks

crazyal

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2015
Murph on the Move wrote:I'm planning on traveling to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia starting in August/September. I want to go to each country for how long the visas allow. I've looked into visa requirements for each country and it seems like you can get one when crossing the border pretty easily for each country other than Vietnam which needs to be applied for in advance.

I wanted to get people's opinions on what order they would travel in. If they found it easier entering Cambodia from Thailand or Vietnam, if it was easier to start in Vietnam since it has to be arranged ahead of time, and how it works leaving a country and coming back. Any info like this or that you think would be helpful is appreciated.

Thanks

What country passport are you using to enter these countries? Not all countries have the same entry rules. You could start in Thailand first since that country has excellent transportation and good tourist infrastructure and sometimes cheaper flights than HCM City or Hanoi. (Always compare cost of flights.)

For Thailand, without a round trip plane ticket or a flight out of Thailand within 30 days you may have to buy a Tourist Visa. (Proof of onward travel see paragraph 5. Usually decided at the airport when you first check in. The airline is responsible for flying you back to your home country if you are refused entry so sometimes they can be picky.)
http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/55

How long you can visit with a VOA or Visa Exemption stamp you get at the airport or even if you must buy a tourist visa depends on your passport. Some VOA (Visa On Arrival) applications may require photos. Do a Google search for the various embassies in your country and see the current visa requirements.

If you substitute Malaysia for Indonesia you can visit Cambodia, Malaysia, Laos, even Singapore overland from Thailand. Vietnam is a cheap flight from Bangkok. From Thailand there is rail service from the top of Thailand all the way to Singapore. Also good bus service and even discount airlines.

Traveling from Europe or N. America buying round trip to Bangkok or another big city near Thailand might be cheaper than a one way flight to Bangkok and one way home from Indonesia or other country. When you fly between Thailand and nearby countries the cost isn't that much. Compare the cost of one way vs round trip flights. You MIGHT save some money by buying a cheap local flight back to the first arrival city. Sometimes having a definite departure date helps you know how long your money lasts. Some tourists with extra money fly round trip to Hong Kong from Bangkok.

Singapore, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Korea are more expensive than Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia.

Sounds nice to stay as long as possible but for most of these countries you can't legally work without a work permit to augment any expenses. What money you leave home with is what you have for spending money for the whole trip. Also any money you have access to via a debit card. (If you use a debit or credit card remember to tell your bank that you will be overseas using their cards before leaving home. Don't rely on a single card for your spending money because a single card can be damaged or stolen.)

Check the weather out for the countries you have an interest in.

You have some time available to firm things up.

Good luck.
Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

Murph on the Move

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2015
Thanks for the advice, I'll be using an American passport to travel on.

China-Matt

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 14th, 2015
Order of travel really depends on method of transportation and time of year. Northern Vietnam can get chilly in winter (pollution in Hanoi also can get really bad in December/January). There was even snow in Sapa when I was in Hanoi in January. You can get a 90-day, multiple entry visa to Vietnam, so you could exit to go to Cambodia and Laos and then return to another part of Vietnam.

Indonesia has a visa waiver for 30 days for Americans if you arrive via Bali or Jakarta (I think Surabaya too), but not Yogyakarta.

Surender

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2016
Hi, hope you have had a wonderful journey as you were planning to travel to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, and Indonesia in August/September. It seems really interesting journey.

Now i'm planning to travel Hong Kong from India and i'm planning my itinerary with La Vacanza Travel & they provided me 3 vacation ideas which are mention below:

1. Hong Kong, Macau & Shenzhen package
2. Hong Kong & Macau with Star Cruise
3. Hong Kong, Macau & Disneyland

Return to Asia Travel