Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Specific Backpack Needs

Voodoomailman

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 27th, 2011
I know there's been a ton of stuff posted here about backpacks (and I've read a lot of it!!).. but I was hoping I could get some specific feedback about what I'm looking for exactly.

I'm going to be backpacking in Europe for about 3 months so I don't want it to be too heavy. I'll be doing it as cheap as possible so I want something durable for when I have to sleep in the woods (I'm willing to pay for a quality pack). I'm going to mostly be in cities... but I will also be making my way through the country at times as well. I'm male, 5'9" and 130lbs, quite slim. Definitely want a panel loading pack, a great suspension system, good airflow (it's gonna be summer when I go), internal frame (obviously), lockable zippers and ripstop nylon (or something similarly rugged and weather resistant). Looking in the ballpark of 4,000cubic inches/65L (give or take) and maybe between 3 and 4lbs. Also, I'd really prefer it without a Daypack if possible.

I've been doing a bit of research and am getting overwhelmed with all the choice... can someone please give me a hand?

Many many thanks!!!
Devon

p.s. I live in NYC

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

this probably won't fit all of your requirement but i have the jade 60 from REI and i love it.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

Markus

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

I'd strongly recommend just heading to your local REI (http://www.rei.com/stores/142) and taking a browse through the selection. The biggest factor is going to be how it feels when you put some weight in it and throw it on your back. Any other outdoor store is great, the little guys often have friendly staff and service, but REI will likely have a big selection to help give you an idea of your options.

If you really want to, you can bring a bunch of your stuff and pack it all up in the store to see how easy it is to work with.

AceTracer

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011

steve1218

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
I LOVE MY MACPAC!!!!! Check out the range - they are fantastic. I picked mine up second hand for around $100 and it's still going strong.

Samjones

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2011
The one-shoulder pack from Samsonite is outstanding - extremely durable and well-made, and very functional. I'm impressed with Samsonite designs and quality. Suggest looking at their large backpack collection at the Bergman Luggage online store to find the one that best suits your needs.

Thanks

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets