Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Starting to lose my zest for travel

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 27th, 2012
I'm currently on my first stage of travel, which is doing a working holiday in England. After my YMS visa ends in 2014, I am (was) planning on doing a London-Singapore overland trip via Turkey, Iran, etc.

It's been great so far. London is a good base to travel around the UK and in Europe (currently on holiday in Greece right now). And I just love London and I have met some good people to hang out with here. But lately, I have been missing my friends and family back home in Canada. Heck, even though I find my job here more fulfilling, I am missing my old job and coworkers. I do miss my life back in Canada. And lately, I am starting to lose my zest for travel. Maybe it's because Christmas is coming up and I am away from family. Or maybe it's because I am in Santorini right now in late November and it is empty, except for a few couples (which is depressing). I naively thought that Greece is to Northern Europeans what Mexico is to North Americans. Always busy lol.

While I have no regrets of moving to London, even though just temporarily, I sometimes think of those moments I am missing back home, like family gatherings or with friends. I still have the desire to travel for a long period of time one more time, and I still want to go to India and revisit SE Asia and China -- partly to relive my youth when I backpacked around Europe for 3 months and had such a great time. But unfortunately, the desire is not as strong as before. Everything just feels so transient - transient friends, experiences, etc. There's a new part of me that wants to go home after my working holiday is done and settle down. The old part of me wants to do that RTW trip and relive that sense of adventure and restlessness that made me quit my job in Canada to move to the UK in the first place.

Oh god, the thoughts that come to my head when I am bored in my hotel room since everything is closed during low season. :o
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 27th, 2012
No problem, it sounds like you're committed to the UK for another year, after that take a break back in Canada for a month or so. Chances are 9 out of 10 that you will have changed enough that all you have in common with old friends are memories. Then you can resume your travels with a clear conscience.

On the off chance you fit back in, look for a job.

Either way it's a win-win situation. 8-)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 28th, 2012
I think busman7 has it nailed- no reason you can't go home for a few weeks and see where things stand. Plus who knows? A lot can happen in a year, so I think it's very premature to worry about whether you'll end up doing your rtw or not.

My experience frankly with going home is I enjoy seeing friends and family of course but just as you don't stay the same nor do things at home- all but a few friends of mine still live in the city I lived in for 7 years, and my parents sold my childhood home/ none of my friends live there anymore either. Of course it is great to see the people who you will be close to for life, and I don't think you ever fully stop missing the people you are closest to, but by this point the world is filled with so many people I love I'll never be able to track them all down. Both a good and bad thing!

For the next year, though, how about arranging your closest family/friends to come visit you in Europe? I'm sure some are planning on it (and if not invite 'em), and in my experience knowing X family member will be visiting can really help when living abroad, even if it's months down the line.

Oh and final note, yeah, Greece closed about a month ago and will reopen in the late spring. :) Until then if you want to meet people and find excitement the best bet are either big cities or ski towns.

Good luck!

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 28th, 2012
As they say, the grass is always greener. The longest I've ever traveled for is 5 months, and there's no doubt that I was ready to come home at the end of that. Once I was home, it took me about 2 months to be ready to travel again. As it happens, that was 6 years ago now, and I've enjoyed my shorter trips (max 3 weeks) that I've taken in those 6 years, and I definitely like having a predictable paycheque to fund those trips, but I still dream of taking another big trip for many months or years. I could go, but there's many things that I've started here that I'd like to see completed, so that means staying put for several more years.

Enjoy your time in London, and either get people to visit you, or take some time to visit home while you're there. Then once your visa is up assess where you are in your life and whether you really want to keep traveling, or if you're ready to settle back into a life at home. Either option can be the right one, depending on where your mental state is at the time. Just remember that it can be a lot harder to leave than it is to keep going, so make sure you make a decision that you won't regret.

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2012
Thanks guys for all your comments!

I am starting to think that long-term traveling is like sex: it's for the young. I'll probably go on traveling more while I still can, and while I still have the desire for it. I could go on and if it ever starts feeling like a chore and I decide to end it, I could buy a one-way ticket back home. Anyway, I still have time to think about it.

Thanks again.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 5th, 2013
heymikey wrote:Thanks guys for all your comments!

I am starting to think that long-term traveling is like sex: it's for the young. I'll probably go on traveling more while I still can, and while I still have the desire for it. I could go on and if it ever starts feeling like a chore and I decide to end it, I could buy a one-way ticket back home. Anyway, I still have time to think about it.

Thanks again.

For the young?! :?

Couldn't help myself. ;)

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2013
heymikey wrote:Thanks guys for all your comments!

I am starting to think that long-term traveling is like sex: it's for the young.

Thanks again.

You finished school in 2004 :?:

You have a ways to go yet but you will realize how wrong you are on both counts. :hehe:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 16th, 2014
Hey guys!!!

It's been a while since I last posted. Just an update: the first stage of my original plan (two-year working holiday in the UK) is about to end and I am confused more than ever. The 2nd stage was supposed to go on a RTW trip for at least a year (London to Singapore overland). I am now at another crossroads in my life, quite similar to the one I had when I first left to undergo this journey.

On one hand, the company I am working for is currently applying for sponsorship to get me a 5-year work visa. That's all wonderful since I love London and I love living here. I love the cheap travel opportunities in Europe and the 5 weeks of holiday/vacation is great. I love the variety of things to do in any given night and the people I got to know. I also feel like I have "unfinished business" here and have not accomplished what I was supposed to do or get from all this (whatever that is). I also feel like I'm not ready to go back to my old life in Canada, and a feeling of dread just washes over me just by thinking that. And not to mention that most of the places I want to visit outside Europe, I have already done so. And me going on an RTW trip will mean visiting the same places I have already visited in prior trips.

On the other hand, I have this need to get away from it all and start again somewhere. There have been some drama going on in my life that would be fitting of a Shakespearean tragedy -- love triangles, falling in love with a major slut, a friend who likes me and tried to sabotage any possible romantic relationship with others, rumors of me having orgies and other dalliances, etc. I just feel like running away and go on an adventure just to get my mind off and forget certain people in my life. But then, being heartbroken, annoyed, pissed-off are probably not good enough reasons to go on an RTW. I do miss those adventures I've had, like the 3-month Europe, 3-month Australia/NZ, and 2-month Asia trips.

I don't know. I'm confused. :?

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2014
Hey Mikey,

Long time no see. You followed my blog all those years ago. Thanks for that. I had been wondering what happened to you and your trip.

Sounds like you may already know what you want.

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 30th, 2014
Haha... thanks K2. I still remember you.

I just got my UK work visa so I will be moving back to London in a few days. I've now been thinking of all the places that I haven't been that is accessible from London -- Scandinavia, North Africa, Eastern Europe. It's actually getting me excited! Besides, the slut's visa will expire in a month and I hope that we will never cross paths again (ever).

Anyway, deep down inside, I still want to drop everything and travel for a year. But one thing is for sure: I don't want to do it alone. And this whole World Cup fever is actually making me want to visit South America, which I have never visited. Maybe spend an entire year travelling around South America after I get bored of Europe? Ahhh... too many life decisions!

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel