Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Stay in North America Or head to Europe?

Nickers76

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 7th, 2011
I need a little advice from those more travelled than myself (which is probably everyone here, lol)

I am planning a trip to Ontario to see family in 2012. I am hoping to organise a trip to Prince Edward Island while I am there but the rest of time will be spent with family. After the time with the family I can't decide weather I should ..................

A) Fly to London for 3 nights and then Paris for a few nights, Singapore for a few nights an then home to Australia

OR

B) Stay in North America and visit New York, Las Vegas and Los Angeles, with a stop in Hawaii on the way home to Australia.

I realise that they both have their pros and cons but I am really of two minds which would be better. Any advise, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
Nic

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 8th, 2011
It sounds like you really only have a week after your trip to travel. Personally I'd just stay in one spot rather than spending so much time flying and recovering from jetlag. That alone will take away a couple days of your time. Better to spend it on the ground having fun.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2011
Yep stick with NA, save Europe & Singapore for other trips.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 10th, 2011
Pick one from option B (my personal preference would be NYC) and just go there, see what there is to see, and then head home. It looks like you're trying to fill a week, which is only enough time for 1-2 stops, and no flight interruptions.

The schedules you've proposed look more like a business trip than a holiday.

Trying to fit in 4 stops connected by flights - every flight is effectively a lost day - would be a miserable enough experience, without adding in the complication of jet lag.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 12th, 2011
I agree- if you have only a week just pick two places MAX- for example NYC and Washington DC would make a good trip, or Los Angeles and Vegas or San Diego. I'll bet good money that you'd have to fly through LA on your way to/from Australia so this might make the most sense.

Trust me, the problem with your mini round the world trip is the time zones alone are something that would make your trip impossible to appreciate alone.

jessus

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2011
I'd definitely agree with the consensus to pick a spot. NYC on its own is tons to see! What's your official time frame?

Also, I have to ask about your Ontario/Prince Edward Island idea. I really want to know. . . why PEI? Is there something specific there you want to see?

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 18th, 2011
I'd say do whatever is cheaper. Both are going to have their advantages. Sure you could have more time to get to know a few North American cities and then have a long haul flight back... OR you could get to see a few foreign, spread out cities on several continents, break up the long trip, and see some different things along the way. 6 of one, half a dozen of another. Hard to make a bad choice here! :D

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
North America or Europe that's one big question.
The two continents are totally different and would give you different experiences.
So the question is how do you like to spend you free time and make the decision based on that.
Unless you have at least 3 weeks it just isn't worth the trouble travelling the Atlantic, stay in North America, Washington is a great city to visit, Utah great for natural wonders, California very lay back but can be expensive we camped.
Don't try and do too much if you have little time because your memories will be only of travelling and not the good bits in between.
You can always do Europe in the future and plan it well and you'll have the most amazing time. We spent 4 months travelling there in 2009, we live in England so just took our car on the ferry and camped.
Best of luck and keep safe out there.
Jean :)

Ankitjha

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2011
Heyy!! B option is Better :)
I personally feel you should visit north America .After Having some time with your Family its a time for some refreshment .... u Shouldn't forget to visit Los Angeles and Vegas because these are the best places for singles... ;) stay for few days there if you like it and then you can get to New york for few dayz ... and Hawaii ....Dont make a hectic plan and lots of destinations in your list ..keep it simple ... :)

Return to USA & Canada Travel