A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

stuck on single-bed private accomodations

Canadian Bacon

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 9th, 2008
I'm posting this in the "Oldies but Goodies" forum, since I'm guessing this probably applies more to them than to the younger generation. Wink

Anyone else out there as adamant as I am about having their own private hostel room? I am a very social and outgoing person, and I love meeting new people, but when it comes to my resting and sleeping space, I'm as territorial as a lion. Surely I can't be the only person on the planet who feels their personal space is sacrosanct. And has anyone ever booked shared rooms and regretted it (for whatever reason)?

In my case, I've been living on my own for almost 20 years (I'm 39), and I'm just not willing to share my space. Period. I'm not willing to risk ending up rooming with someone who is on a party trip. I've read many threads and the BnA FAQs about sleeping in hostels, and I realize that most people are decent and respectful of the needs of others, but there are those who, well, aren't. And I'm just not going to risk ending up with one of them. And likewise, they wouldn't want to risk ending up with me, either. It works both ways.

I guess I've got zero tolerance for the idea of sharing sleeping accomodations. Anyone else feel the same?
Flashpacker in the making.

ETD: five years.

sissyt

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 10th, 2008
I'm with you, Canadian Bacon.
Well, kinda. I usually travel with my hubby so I will share with him. Smile Last time I shared a room with anyone but him or close friends/family the girl accused my of stealing her small dish towel, then later found it wrapped around her water bottle inside her pack!
Since I'm older and can afford separate accomodations I definitely book them!

moniak

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 10th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Bacon:
In my case, I've been living on my own for almost 20 years (I'm 39),

I'm with you, but it took me ten years more to come to that conclusion. Apart from the privacy, it's my snoring that I had to consider. Whatever, it's all about your own comfort - even if cheap and simple.
Last time I slept in a dorm was at my 48.

Skyehiker

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2008
I'll usually go for either the single room or a room with fewer, fewer beds.

I also have to consider the type of hostel it is and the age of the travellers. I'm in my 40's as well, and if it's a party hostel with people in their early 20's, well, I'd think it a bit funky if I was 22 and in a bunk bed and there's some dude 20+ years older than me in the bunk next to me.

I find that more & more I'm liking the smaller, off-the-beaten-path hostels now, as opposed to the ones right next to all the clubs/bars, etc...in the dorms there, you've got people coming/going all thru the night, they come in beyond drunk, often not content to stop having fun with whoever they met at the bar, etc.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2008
I'm 40 plus, and I feel the need as well, though I'll put up with a four or six bed dorm when I have to,(which is most of the time, considering my budget). I tend to avoid the 8 and above dorms nowadays.

I like being in hostels, by the way. I'm not so sure, as I get older, that the youth oriented hostels like ME. This is a problem sometimes.

Skyehiker

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 20th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuga_traveller:
I like being in hostels, by the way. I'm not so sure, as I get older, that the youth oriented hostels like ME. This is a problem sometimes.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page. ---St. Augustine

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 21st, 2008
I'm a bit younger (25) and my wife is 30. I still sleep in dorm rooms from time to time - for budget reasons - but I've certainly had reason to regret it from time to time.

I don't mind dorm rooms in more out of the way destinations, since usually the people there are of similar mind (and often older.) The worst case is a snorer, nothing a pair of earplugs can't fix. But big cities, particularly destination cities are a problem, since odds are good you'll get at least one partier. I'll never forgive the Israeli girls is Budapest who felt they were entitled to party in the dorm room because the common room was too small.

Unfortunately, big destination cities usually have the most expensive private rooms, so I don't have much choice there. Like others, I'll try to avoid the bigger rooms, though, too. I find that 4 bed dorms end up being private about 50% of the time.

I definitely prefer private rooms, though, and when I can afford them, that's what I get. I get annoyed that most budget rooms are twins, though, instead of doubles.

Scribetrotter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 21st, 2008
I too prefer the smaller accommodations, if/when affordable...

This brings to mind a night in Blantyre, Malawi a few years back. I was traveling solo across Africa and had booked myself into a dorm - a huge room, 12 beds, all of them empty. Bliss.

As soon as I'd crawled into bed my roommates arrived all at once - 10 or so Indian men! All of them excited to be there... and telling each other so loudly. I love to travel on my own and I'm pretty relaxed but as the only female in that room, I did feel a little crowded...
Women on the Road
Inspiration for women who love to backpack on their own

janetlynne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 22nd, 2008
A private bedroom and bathroom is important to me too

ReadyToGo!

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 27th, 2008
I'm 25 and not very willing to stay in a hostel. I know its necessary for budgetary reasons, but I can imagine that it will get annoying after a while. I like my space and getting a good night's sleep.

This is one of the biggest things that is keeping me from taking a 1-year RTW trip. Never having stayed in a hostel, I'm afraid that I won't be able to deal with it long-term.

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 28th, 2008
ReadytoGo,
I like my space and a good nights sleep too. The first time I stayed in a hostel on my own I was a bit freaked out. I really didn't think I was going to be able to do it but it turned out great. I chatted with people, went out to eat with my roomates, etc. Turns out staying in hostels was the best part of my trip. I did things I didn't expect I would enjoy and loved it.

One of the highlights was meeting two Aussies in north Yorkshire, England who had rented a car. We piled in with a Chinese girl who couldn't speak much english and went on an adventure to a small village. We had a blast.

I found staying at the hostels got easier as I went along. You learn the drill, etc. And I almost always had a good nights sleep. YOu are usually so tired by the end of the day you don't care.

KathrynD

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 5th, 2009
I too like a private room because I don't sleep as well on my first night in a new place. I hate being woken up by folks coming in late at night. And it's a bit unnerving sometimes who ends up sharing your space. Most people are very nice, but some not as much. I'd rather not have to even worry about it if I can.

midlifetravel

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 29th, 2009
Many/most hostels in my part of the world have singles and twins/doubles- is this still not common in Europe? Its not a hotel/hostel choice is a private/dorm choice.
Luckily i have someone to travel with - my partner - so we normally get a double for the same price as 2 dorm beds anyway.
Other options are a tent or a cabin in a caravan park - all good for your own space but you can still meet people

Lis
Travel for the Over 30's

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 20th, 2009
Canadian Bacon wrote:I guess I've got zero tolerance for the idea of sharing sleeping accomodations. Anyone else feel the same?

Nope - doesn't bother me at all.

Skyehiker wrote: and if it's a party hostel with people in their early 20's, well, I'd think it a bit funky if I was 22 and in a bunk bed and there's some dude 20+ years older than me in the bunk next to me.

Why? It isn't the age of a person - it's their outlook on life which denotes how old they are.

KathrynD wrote:I hate being woken up by folks coming in late at night

Ha! I always get stuck with with the ones who go to bed at 9 or 10 o'clock and want the light off - then....then they wanna sleep until nearly midday. Midday! I ask you - honestly, don't these people ever have any fun after lights out? Crikey, they're as boring as water running down a dunny plughole. :mrgreen:

Edited to say: BTW, I don't go out partying - I just like staying up late. I'm a bit of a night owl.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Return to Still Going...