Travel from a student's perspective. Learn how to vacation between semesters, the benefits of studying overseas and where to get excellent spring break deals. Research affordable weekend getaways and debate what provides a better education: school or the world?

Student Discounts Still Relevant?

EternalAdventures

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 20th, 2011
Hello peeps! I still have time to become a student before leaving for my RTW trip in the coming year. I've heard that student discounts can save travelers a good bit in certain areas (at least in the past). Is that still the case today?

On my RTW trip I will be hitting just about every continent but Antarctica. Is having the ability to apply student discounts worth my time to achieve student status?

Thanks for reading!

Chris

P.S. If there are already good existing threads on this subject, feel free to send me there!
~~ RTW Trip 2012: Central America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa ~~

ruthiebaby88

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 23rd, 2011
If you have something you are interested in studying - fine! Perhaps you could take a semester in a language that would be useful to you on the trip. Or some kind of computer class you could use for journaling or making a website of your trip.

Classes are expensive and it's my opinion that you would have to find discounts in A Lot of places in order for it to make up for the price of the class.

There are still plenty of student discounts out there, but in my experience they usually just save you a few bucks a pop. Especially if you already have your airline ticket I don't think it will reimburse you for the class.

But if you are interested in something anyway then why not?

EternalAdventures

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 23rd, 2011
@ruthiebaby88: Hey Ruthie! I can actually achieve student identification here locally by registering and taking a single class - some of which are offered for $25. It is actually too late for me to "actually" take the class properly (as I'm leaving in January), but I thought it might be worth it to become registered as a student and get my ID card if i can register at one class for around $25.

What do you think? Thanks again.
~~ RTW Trip 2012: Central America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa ~~

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 18th, 2012
"In certain areas" is certainly still true, but how many and how much can vary widely.

It's been a while since I've had reason to check, but we saved a bundle in the Middle East 5 years ago using student cards. Egypt had 1/2 price admissions to all sites, I expect this is still true. Syria was more like a 97% discount; students paid the local price instead of the foreigner price. It might still be true, but probably not relevant due to their current unrest/civil war.

Once we moved into Turkey and Europe, we found the savings dried up. Europeans only seemed to be giving discounts to European students, and I didn't notice any at all in Turkey.

Now, the ID card that comes with a $25 class may not get you anything at all. Certainly in Egypt, their policy was ISIC or no discount. It's easy enough to get a counterfeit ISIC card, but to get it legitimately requires being a full-time student at an approved school.

Eva_

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2014
I've saved a lot of money with the student discount, but usually some places in foreing countries only make discount to students of this country.
There is an international student card, actually I don't have one but it's supposed to be accepted almost everywhere: http://www.isic.org/

Return to Student Travel