Like it or love it, most of us have to work for a living. This is the place to commiserate with other cube-dwellers and get tips from other business travelers. Talk about how the daily grind will one day allow you to realize your vagabond dreams. Share tips for turning travel you have to do into travel you want to do.

Stupid coworkers thread

cherie

Librarian Gone Wild

Share on Orkut

Tags: stupid people, coworkers, work
  • Added on: December 13th, 2007
I am opening this thread for all of those who have stupid coworkers (which is probably most of us). Please come here to vent about whatever morons are pissing you off, or something frustrating that happens at work. We are here for you.
www.worldofcherie.blogspot.com

cherie

Librarian Gone Wild

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 13th, 2007
This woman in our Computer Support Services Dept (I have NO idea how she is in this dept; I had to show her how to use application sharing at a training SHE was hosting and she consistently messes people's computers up!) asked me if she could join the "Green Team" at my job that I started. Sure, it's open to everyone. So she comes to our last meeting with a Styrofoam cup. My boss (who is also on the Green Team) yelled at her; we launched this whole initiative, "Bring Your Mug to Work Day" so discourage the use of disposable cups.

Anyway, yesterday she was in the kitchen again, and using ANOTHER styrofoam cup, and I was like annoyed and she goes, "Sometimes people need convenience" and I said, "You're off the Green Team," laughing, and she got all mad at me and said I "need to let people be people." She got mad when I said she wasn't eco-friendly and then she goes, "I know I'm Green! I know I'm Green!"

My boss was annoyed too and I'm annoyed--like if you are a doctor giving a lecture about the dangers of smoking and beforehand, everyone sees you lighting up a cig. WTF?! Anyway, she had no clue, and I was really frustrated.

Next?

Callilucy

Waitin' For The Lentil Loaf

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 14th, 2007
Have your boss stop providing styrofoam cups for the office. Problem solved. I hear you though, some people are ridiculously clueless.

At my job I work on projects for many different people. These people request my help through my supervisor and we set up a plan, that way everyone knows what is expected and its all great. BUT, there is one guy who will have a casual conversation with me and then suddenly I'm in trouble for not doing his project....wait, what project? He never talked to my supervisor, he never said to me that he wanted me to do the project (or I would have pointed him to the supervisor). No he just asked me a few questions about what I do and then told his boss that I was handling it. Handling WHAT? WTF?! You can't do that. He's done this more than once and I have the feeling he's doing it again right now. This makes me nervous and frustrated. Frown
I don't want to be fearless, I want to be brave.

Joepro

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

The dude that sits next to me is a close talker. It's seriously freaky at times. He comes into my cube while I'm sitting and stands so his feet are touching my chair then he looks straight down at me and talks to me. He's also worn the same sweater for at least a month. I seriously hope he washes that thing every night or has a closet full of them. He's not even a good programmer so I'm not supporting hiring him when his contract is up.
----------
"Friends, Family, Religion... These are the three demons you must slay in order to succeed in business" C.M. Burns

krisk

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

Me next.
We have a moron that was suppose to interview a prospective candidate along with HR. He didn't show up (forgot), let HR do the interview alone for an hour and when HR finally got in touch with the idiot, he said "You do know that I extended an offer to "x" - who is an internal person changing positions. Okay, so waste two people's time, don't tell anyone you did this, and don't think an apology is necessary. Nice. Oh, and the reason you can get away with this is why? Oh, right, you're the owner's brother. Right......idiots.
Kristen
http://blogs.BootsnAll.com/kris/

cherie

Librarian Gone Wild

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 15th, 2007
quote:
Originally posted by Callilucy:
Have your boss stop providing styrofoam cups for the office. Problem solved. I hear you though, some people are ridiculously clueless.(

We can't get rid of the styrofoam cups b/c apparently they are to be used for guests. Actually, we're switching from styrofoam to paper. I don't understand why people think it's totally okay to use four disposable cups a day...."It's not a big deal."

Yeah, and these kids are going to have their grandkids living on garbage dumps....

dman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2008
I have a lady that 'lectures' me everytime I pass by her her about riding my bicycle and motorcycle to work. I can understand one time but everytime I see her!! Constantly refers to my bikes as 'those things' and how dangerous they are and that people should be banned from riding bicycles and motorcycles! It makes my blood boil because I am passionate about bicycles and the good they do for the world and peoples health. I tried to reason with her and explain the benefits of each like not killing the earth and staying fit + less congestion not to mention I LOVE my commute... next day, same deal!! I mean, I dont complain about her smoking a pack of cigarettes a day or driving the biggest 4x4 in the lot, and I dont want to start this 'my way is better than yours' thing. Its like she got this way of thinking and since I dont fit in that box I am a freak. I honestly dont know what she does other than stand by the door and smoke ughh ... I am def. going to avoid her and make sure she notices too! Thank you Cherie for this thread!

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

Tell HR. You legally do not have to put up with that.

dman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

I am definitely considering doing that. Although I normally avoid confrontations, I dont let people walk all over me ...

static, I love your avatar Smile

gettinglost

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 10th, 2008
Well, after leaving my job with the change jingler and the micromanager- (long, funny story I'll share with you guys sometime)...

I have now, a coworker who is snotty, full of herself, and convinced I am incapable of grasping the menial drivvel I do all day long, because I've been here for a bit over three weeks and don't know a damn book full of legal terms, or how everyone wants things done (everything here is VERY specific).
The boss has told her multiple times to lay off, including a couple times where she has given me the wrong directions in training...proceeding, thereafter, to give me a 20 minute lecture after the paperwork came out wrong, about how I "should know these things by now" and "they're not that hard".... UGH!!!
That, and evertime I bring food I've cooked from home (and I'm a total foodie, and have no reservations about bringing oxtail soup, or something similarly unfamiliar to the white bread american palate), she has to "ewwww" it for 45 minutes... And, basically starts bragging about how picky of an eater she is...
She's extremely closed minded- and when she asked me what I got for Christmas- and told her my family would all be going skydiving together in March- she told me I was a nutcase... and continued to rant about how dissimilar I was to the rest of the world..
She also got on my case today because she was trying to push off a styrofoam plate for my pizza...but, I used a paper towel, instead.
She asked why. I told her that styrofoam wasn't biodegradeable- and it would just sit in a landfill forever.
She said: "So, what's your point"?
I said that it's processes polluted the air, and it would be there forever, and the dump would be full of the stuff.
She said: "So, what's your point"?
I wanted to punch her, but walked out instead.
"It's not down in any map. True places never are."
-Herman Mellville, "Moby Dick"

cherie

Librarian Gone Wild

Share on Orkut

Oh my. These coworkers just keep on getting stupider and stupider.

gettinglost

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

It's because most really smart people don't breed. And, when they do? Their offspring don't end up in offices like mine.

:edit: That says a lot for me, doesn't it... hahaha.
"It's not down in any map. True places never are."
-Herman Mellville, "Moby Dick"

Jeff W

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 13th, 2008
Wow, now I feel lucky I never had to deal with that.

Is it necessary that you have to interact with her? I wouldn't be able to stand it!
------------------------------
Everywhere's nice if you are just passing through or you have money, it's a different story to live there.

Kathryn M

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2008
My stupid co-worker who does the mail threw out my Fels Napa soap because she thought it was junk mail!

girlgoesglobal

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by gettinglost:
I have now, a coworker who is snotty, full of herself, and convinced I am incapable of grasping the menial drivvel I do all day long

Gettinglost, omg, they're multiplying!! Eek

My favorite person in the world enjoys sneaking out of the office then appearing horrified and offended when you ask where she was...for 2 hours.

Me: Where did you go? Everyone's been looking for you!

Her: Oh, um, to the bank.

Me: For two hours? That must have been some line. Was there a robbery in progress? Where you held hostage?

Her: Ugh, get over it. I'm here now. (she rips the butcher paper off her desk)

Me: Why do you have butcher paper covering your desk?

Her: In case someone spills something while I'm gone.

Me: Well, if you were sitting at your desk, you could keep an eye on it. Intercept those pesky Coke bottles before they destroy your keyboard.

Her: Get over it! I'm here now. (crumples the paper) Can you watch my phone? I'll be right back.

She disappears for another hour.
http://girlgoesglobal.com is back!

Next

Return to Corporate Wasteland & Business Travel