Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Stupid Travel Tricks

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 4th, 2008
On this trip I have been traveling with a small Rubbermaid wastebasket, and that has been amazing! It is a table, a washing machine, it gives my pack some structure and makes it sit up, it protects things that ought not be crushed... fantastic! Especially for laundry. It also doesn't take up much extra space inside the pack since I pack it full of stuff. I discovered its benefits accidentally, but I'll never travel without it again!

redleader

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Bideshi:
On this trip I have been traveling with a small Rubbermaid wastebasket, and that has been amazing! It is a table, a washing machine, it gives my pack some structure and makes it sit up, it protects things that ought not be crushed... fantastic! Especially for laundry. It also doesn't take up much extra space inside the pack since I pack it full of stuff. I discovered its benefits accidentally, but I'll never travel without it again!

hey, can you tell me which rubbermaid wastebasket this is? which model? This sounds like a great and practical idea!

Littlemustard

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

sew pockets into the inside of your pants, following the seam. Great to avoid the actual money belt when it feels too hot out or is just uncomfortable. No one is getting at your money or passport in there!

Also, as far as blister, yes it's the double socks that provide the greatest protection. i ran a marathon w/ TNT and we had an amazing trainer who was a world renowned runner. He went on and on about the joys of double socks. I spent a little extra $$ and got an awesome pair that are double layered yet very thin. I didn't get a single blister the whole 26.2 miles!! However one guy i saw, w/ just one set of socks on, had a giant blister that covered the entire bottom of his feet and ones on each toe. Ouch! He was in a wheelchair when I saw him wheeled into the nurse's room. I honestly don't know how he could've walked. Double layered socks are most def. the way to go! I love mine so much I only wear them for special occasions - don't want to wear them out. Smile

bytesandbrushes

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 13th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by Miamc:
quote:
Originally posted by Walkabout:
travel tip/trick:

Get acquainted with a smell on your trip. For me, it was this really cool deoderant. Now, whenever I smell it at home (its hard to find), I have this memory orgasm of my traveling and experiences.

Yes! I've experienced this with a shower gel and a face cream. Then it's terribly sad when the companies stop making the products. I have one last bottle of the gel that I'm making last...

My tip:
Tuck a couple dryer sheets in with your clothes. Then when you pull out a clean shirt it'll smell deliciously fresh. This is particularly effective if you pack your clothes into ziplock bags, as I do when sailing.

Dryer sheets may not be considered too cool if you're staying in a hostel or anyplace else with people around who have allergies or chemical sensitivities! When I was in grad school, our dorm instructions/questionaire made a point of bringing that up -- and now decades later I've noticed that a lot of eco-tourism sites or retreat centres specifically tell you to NOT pack anything fragranced. None of this may apply to you if you are airing things out in the fresh sea air though! (grin!) Roll Eyes

And about that original comment about reliving a place or experience with a smell? I too can still summon up memories of living in a seaside flat in Norfolk, England just by smelling Nivea handcream. And Norsca shower gel reminds me of eurailing around western Europe years ago.

Gotta love the brain's power to make associations!

redleader

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 13th, 2008
and speaking of "memorable smells", I have a few of my own:

1. The smell of the air conditioning and vinyl seats inside a Hong Kong taxi cab.

2. The stuffy smell inside the cabin of an airplane (its a combination of stale cracker/bread, the upholstery, and of course, the air conditioning)

Zander01

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 15th, 2008
I always bring some Velcro tape with me when traveling. When renting an apartment or Hotel, with a safe in the room or not, I always take some Velcro tape and an envelope and stick my money and passport to the bottom of a table or chair in the room. In all the years I have traveled, I have never had anyone find it.

Pirri

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 25th, 2008
The best thing every is Paw Paw cream. I'm pretty sure you can only get it in Australia but you can probley order it online. It fills the role of vasoline, aloe vera, talc, lip balm, antiseptic cream and every other thing you can think of. It's fabulous you can use it on burns, bites, splinters, blisters, bruises, cuts, chafing, heat or sweat rash, cracked skin and a thousand other things and almost overnight these things are healed. I absolutely never go anywhere without it.

One other thing I like to do to pass the time when stuck in Airports or on plains, trains or automobiles is to have a couple (a lot in my case) of movies or TV shows compressed and put on my iPod so that I can have some entertainment and completely tune out and destress in these often boring situations. It's great to have something you know will entertain you when that book just isn't doing it for you or you've finished it and have nothing to go on to.

redleader

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 26th, 2008
quote:
Originally posted by kj115:

One other thing I like to do to pass the time when stuck in Airports or on plains, trains or automobiles is to have a couple (a lot in my case) of movies or TV shows compressed and put on my iPod so that I can have some entertainment and completely tune out and destress in these often boring situations. It's great to have something you know will entertain you when that book just isn't doing it for you or you've finished it and have nothing to go on to.

Two years ago I was in a tent in the middle of the Serengeti and I found myself watching a movie on my Ipod. The thought of being so isolated from the world yet still have such advanced, portable technology is quite amazing.

Miamc

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by kj115:
The best thing every is Paw Paw cream.

For those of us on this side of the world, according to various on-line resources, a papaw is, in fact, a papaya. Not that just any old papaya ointment is necessarily as good as Lucas's, of course...

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

That blew my mind. Here in the "Colonies", a paw paw is a native tree otherwise known as Asimina triloba. One does, in fact, learn something new every day.

HampdenHoop

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by static:
That blew my mind. Here in the "Colonies", a paw paw is a native tree otherwise known as Asimina triloba. One does, in fact, learn something new every day.

It's also a place in West Virginia and several other states.

I read an article a few years ago about attempts to develop the paw paw fruit as a commercial crop, but apparently it doesn't travel or store well.

Tom Fisher

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

The fruit of a paw paw tree is sort of like a small banana.
But they bruise very easily and don't last long. We have several trees on our property (NW Indiana) and the paw paws typically go to waste in the fall.
Tom Fisher
Purdue University (USA)
Email: tfisher@ceris.purdue.edu
http://www.nlci.com/users/fishers
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~fishertr
http://tommyfisher.blogspot.com/
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Tom+Fisher/

Pirri

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

quote:
For those of us on this side of the world, according to various on-line resources, a papaw is, in fact, a papaya. Not that just any old papaya ointment is necessarily as good as Lucas's, of course...

of course...Lucas's is the Best!!!

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Skin dries out when flying and normal moisturisers sometimes do not work for some. Best solution is to put some Vaseline on...you wake up after a long flight with normal skin.
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

sissyt

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2008
The pawpaw and the papaya are distantly related but the pawpaw is nowhere near as delicious as the papaya.

PreviousNext

Return to Best of the Boards