Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

Stupid Travel Tricks

circusoflife

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 13th, 2005
I just learned from a fellow traveler here in Bangkok about using baby powder to stop from sweating.
I tried it. It works great!!! I will never travel in the hot zone without a small baby powder bottle. (FYI - I have never used roll on anti-perspirants due to chemical concern).

If only I had known this sooner....it would have made some of my prior travels so much more pleasant. Alas...there is the future. So I was wondering what other stupid simple little tricks can you think of that would make traveling alot easier.

One that came to mind is something I learned from hiking ...wear 2 socks (Or use a double layer sock) to avoid blisters.

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

Talc doesn't actually stop you from sweating, but it does keep your nuts from rubbing raw.

Don't ask me how I learned this.

Taylor

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I've been using baby powder in my basketball shoes for a while now, in fact Dr. Scholl's even started producing their own variant of baby powder. Really does make a difference.

Not so much as an unknown trick, but if you roll your clothes you can negate creases.

Walkabout

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Dont use cotton socks when hiking, since they absorb moisture. Use wool socks (maybe its reverse, anyways)...

after a trek in New Zealand, the skin on my feet had peeled off, worse each day, and I was horrified from it. Looked SICK and felt terrible. I have pictures to boot! hehe

cheecho

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

The fit of your boot is really whats important in preventing blisters. Also, putting tape on your feet where blisters are likely to occur helps a lot. (I use luekoplast - There is also a product called second skin or something like that) If you are getting a blister, then it is especially important to tape it so that it doesnt get worse. (For this, I cut, betadine, and then tape)

Cheech

Another Joe

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I've got a pair of Goretex lined boots with matching socks that wick at the same rate. It's a fantastically comfortable pairing that I have worked in during conditions rangeing from below zero and freezing cold to 40 degree heat. My feet never get to an uncomfortable temperature (hot or cold) and always stay dry. My boots are one of my favourite possesions - well worth the money spent on them.

Not really a stupid travel trick, however...

xoom

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

everyone probably does this already but i always bring thin, clear plastic bags wherever i go so i can separate my dirty clothes from the clean ones until i get a chance to wash them. i also bring a couple rubber bands for some reason and they always come into use at a later time. oh and when i bring extra pairs of shoes, i stuff socks in them to keep the shape when it's getting squished into my bag.. plus, it's another way of storing socks! Big Grin
Freedom lies in being bold.

blog: http://sybaritestory.wordpress.com/

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

I've got a couple.

Buy a zippered pillow cover to use at the hostel. That way you can put your moneybelt in and zip it shut. Just remember it's there if you get up in the middle of the night.

Use cheap craft foam and make yourself a pair of shower flip-flops. Just trace your foot and put a bit of thread through a whole to make a toe hold. They weight nothing and take up no room.

Another Joe

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

My trick would be to pack a silk sleeping bag liner. They fold down tiny and weigh nothing, but, it provides you silk sheets wherever you go. Heaven!

Walkabout

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Also, a liner can be used instead of your sleeping bag when its super sweaty for some freak reason, like a sudden heat wave when you arrive.

PS- HERE are photos of feet after hiking with cotton socks. DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! WEAR WOOL!

Libby

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Walkabout,
I wish I had a picture to show you of my feet after wearing wool socks. The doctors finally discovered I was allergic to wool when I was a kid and my feet would get sore, open cracks that would ooze. I'll take cotton anyday Smile

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

No no no! No cotton for socks. Blister-city!
If you are allergic to wool, buy some Thorlo acrylic socks.

Also:

"Use cheap craft foam and make yourself a pair of shower flip-flops. Just trace your foot and put a bit of thread through a whole to make a toe hold. They weight nothing and take up no room."

MUST-RESIST-CHEAP-JOKE

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I love my Thorlos! Great hiking socks, padded in the right places.

A fleece jacket (if you're not wearing it), makes a great pillow when you roll it up.

Put a piece of freshly cut ginger in between your teeth and cheek to fight off seasickness

If you buy a ticket for a two story bus, try and get the top story very front seat(s) - more room to spread out and stretch

Bring toilet paper with you...never know when you might need it!

A headlamp works great for night busses, especially if you need to go to the loo and can't find the light

Another Joe

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2005
My apologies to anyone disgusted by this, but... This was my toe after some Romanian hiking. We walked from Sinaia to Bran over the course of two days, crossing the Omul mountain (2507 m.) on the way. My toe, as you see it, was the victim of 11 hours walking on the second day, carrying my 15 kilo back pack. I was pretty tired by the time we got to Bran Smile

Next

Return to Best of the Boards