Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Suggestions for 4 Day City Break

Gavin_Harvey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 28th, 2013
Hi there,

I'm thinking about travelling somewhere for the Easter weekend (possibly taking a couple of extra days of work) and I wondered if any had any suggestions? I'll be travelling with my partner but we're both happy to stay in budget hostels, so accommodation prices aren't really a concern. We love seeing new places, but aren't too keen on museums/ art galleries, so ideally we're after somewhere that looks nice and has plenty of places to explore.

I've recently been to Prague, Budapest, Bratislava, Vienna, Seville and Berlin, so I'm just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions?

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I think Istanbul would be a good choice.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

So many options it's hard to respond. I'll just name a few cities that I enjoyed that would probably be good for 4 days:

Wroclaw
L'viv
Naples
Bologna
York
Brasov

JMF

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2013
what about Croatia and Dubrovnik ?

Gavin_Harvey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 8th, 2013
Thanks for all of the replies. After checking out all of the flight prices I think I might just head to Barcelona for a few days as it's pretty cheap to fly from Bristol. I'll definitely try to check out some of the other places later in the year though!

Seraphim - I really fancy Istanbul, I might try to book a trip there in May.

EMH - Naples is on my list of places I want to go but I hadn't even heard of some of the others, so thanks for suggesting something a bit different. I now want to visit every ones of your places, Brasov in particular looks really beautiful. I'm quite a keen photographer and the setting looks incredible. I'd never really considered anywhere else in the UK, but I've never been to York and it looks really nice. I'm planning to take my partner away for the weekend late in April and York looks ideal!

JMF - Dubrovnik looks incredible but sadly the flight prices are a bit steep for a few days. I'll definitely have to plan a trip there later in the year though, so thanks for the suggestion.

Great suggestions!

Daphne Roseque

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 3rd, 2013
Hi Gavin,

Spain: still a good choice for me. It offers both beach holidays and rural getaways . You can visit these two famous cities in Spain which is very famous in there architectures, Madrid and Barcelona. I am one of the Barcelona lovers. I am fascinated by the city and have been twice so far and can not wait to go again. On the other hand the first time I went to Madrid I did not like it at all. I have since been back to Madrid two more times and really like it now.. I really can not get enough of Spain.

Some hints: Madrid has three of Spain's most famous art museums: the Prado (which ranks up there with the Louvre for pre-20th century art), the modern art of the Reina Sofia (featuring Picasso's masterpiece, the Guernica), and the Thyssen-Bornemisza, said to be one of the best private art collections in the world. Barcelona is not short of art museums, with the Picasso museum being its most famous. Hope it can help you ;)
A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step, Your Travel Guide "Simply Madrid"

Gavin_Harvey

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 4th, 2013
Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the advice and I've just got back in fact! But I did indeed fit in a trip to the Picasso museum during my stay in Barcelona. I'll have to plan a trip to Madrid later in the year, so many places to go now!

Harriet Freeman

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2013
Gavin_Harvey wrote:Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the advice and I've just got back in fact! But I did indeed fit in a trip to the Picasso museum during my stay in Barcelona. I'll have to plan a trip to Madrid later in the year, so many places to go now!

Was 4 days enough to see everything you wanted? A lot of people I know usually plan a second visit to Barcelona.

MadPlanetEarth

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 6th, 2013
The 2 places which are a must in Europe are Rome and Paris. They are a bit more expensive though. Otherwise, every country in Europe has at least one interesting city, but the majority even more.

Four days for Barcelona should be enough. Some of the sights such as the Gaudi park are a bit further out, but still easy to get to. It depends also if you want to spent a day on the beach.

Return to Europe Travel