If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Suggestions for living in Europe

JoeC21

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 31st, 2010
Hi, a friend and I are looking to move to Europe for a month or two, possibly longer, depending on how it goes, neither of us have very much money but are both willing to work.

The problem is we don't really know much about travelling, we've looked up various methods (farm jobs, couchsurfing etc) but there are such a vast amount of ways to do it, it's hard to know what would be best! So really we're just looking for some advice from more experienced members of the community.

What would be the best way for 2 young lads from the UK to travel/temporarily move to europe with very little money? As i said we are both willing to work, whether that is manual labour or a more obscure kind of job. We aren't fussy and have never been bothered about all the luxuries or where in europe we end up. We just want to get away from here and see more of the world, experience a different culture etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully some one can point us in the right direction. All your suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

Joe

xscorcho

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 26th, 2010
the easiest option would probably be to get a farm job for two months.... then you don't have to worry about finding accommodation every few days, food, etc. the downside to this is that it will somewhat limit your experience in the country as you will be working and probably in a more remote area. this would also be the cheapest option as you wouldn't be traveling around so your biggest expense would be getting there and home.

couchsurfing is great but you cant always rely on having a host. it is a great way to meet locals and a variety of different types of people. however, i'd assume if you are couchsurfing that you are moving from city to city which would obviously cost more.

if you were to stay a bit longer you could possibly find a flat to rent and then get a bar\tourism\hostel job but from what i know these jobs are hard enough to come by as is so if you're only staying 2 months, not sure it'd be so good for a short stay. this would be easier if you speak a foreign language.

OR you can take out a loan.. travel travel travel and then work your ass off when you get back to the UK to pay it off.

good luck with whatever you decide!

As We Travel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2010
I would suggest WWOOF:ing. This is a great option for free accommodation when traveling. You work up to 4 hours a day 5 days a week, and in return you get free accommodation and food.

You usually work on farms, but there is a lot of other working opportunities as well. The rest of the day (and the whole weekend) you're free to do whatever you want!

This is also a great way to stay for free while looking for a job and an apartment if you've already found a place you'd like to settle down.

Have fun!

Shannon123

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2010
I would definitely say break the cycle of hostels and go with the couch surfing - there's literally no experience like it, I've been doing it for months now. What better way to truly become immersed in the culture, meet new, open-minded people and save A LOT of money (more exploring , less work)? Staying in hostels just isn't the same, you don't feel as if you're truly in another country. Couch surfing offeres an unrivaled insight into a different culture and the way of life of the locals. One thing I will say is read the profiles of potential hosts carefully. One of my good friends neglected to do this hence failed to see that a certain Japanese man was on the hunt for an 'open-minded homosexual male'. Consequently my friend's two weeks in Japan were spent nervously rejecting this man's very blatant advances - he was convinced my friend was just playing hard to get, otherwise why would he have responded to the advert? But, as long as you have your wits about you and use your common sense the advantages of couch surfing are endless. Here's an interesting article that may help you make up your mind.

Good luck!

Return to Living Abroad