A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

Suitcase or backpack

Jeanie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 23rd, 2006
Hi everyone,
We begin our RTW April 2007 can't wait, we'll be off for up to a year. I'm retiring in 7 weeks my husband and a male friend retire in March, we're all in our 60s and are in good health. Having said that my husband from time to time can have problems with his back. I think he should take a suitcase to be sensible, and not a backpack for all the gear but he insists you can't go backpacking with a suitcase. Just wondered what other BootnAll members thought.
Thanks
Jeanie

matengu

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 24th, 2006
I disagree you can go with whatever suits you. I would say something with wheels that he can comfortably pull around would be fine.
itu matengu

KVOM

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 24th, 2006
To me it depends on where you're going and how you're staying at each stop. With many longer stays a suitcase makes sense. Personally I prefer a duffle bag plus a small backpack for use as a daypack and for cameras.
=====
This space for rent

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 25th, 2006
Backpacking to me to more a state of mind or style of travel..it has nothing to do with lugging a bag on your back ..espcially if you are hurt.

I seriously am thinking what to do as well as I have a very bad shoulder injury and will be going to Argentina this Dec. I might go with a suitcase this time around.
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

Zopa

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

check out what the people in the sillouette at the top right hand of hte page are using...suitcases or backpacks? oh, wait, NEITHER! i guess they arent travelers. just a bunch of folks waiting in line...but for what?

Smile
Celebrating my 1800th POST!

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I see one backpack. A suitcase, two travel cases...and the guy at the right edge is clearly a flasher. Bare legs and an open trenchcoat. He is heading off to the BnA Nation party.

This silhouette is JFK, I know it.

As for the backpack debate. It depends on what you plan to do...I hate a suitcase cause it's tough to lug around. I hate the wheelies cause they are not built for the bumps of travelling. I like a pack. My suggestion, if in doubt, is this....There are slightly under one million packs that are both wheelies and backpacks. SO you can switch fairly easily between the two. Maybe dude should try one of these. This also allows for an exciting afternoon at the pack store to get yourself set up.

D
Good Luck Out There.

Jeanie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Big thank you to everyone you gave their comments, didn't realise you could get rucksacks with wheels. That could be the way to go, can't wait to tell my husband he still thinks he's 25 but then so do I.
Regards
Jeanie

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

No problem Jeanie. Many of these wheelie packs have really good rigging, so you are all right either way. Plus the advantage of a standup pack. My buddy Bugs, to your left, seldom stands up by hisself for long.
Good Luck Out There.

Madhu

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 26th, 2006
Go to REI and try everything...some of the wheel packs are really good (tad bit heavier)
I'm Flickring away...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mreddy

"The difference between loneliness and solitude is your perception of who you are alone with and who made the choice." --anonymous quote

FUNCHILDE

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 28th, 2006
Jeanie~
I totally agree with these kids. I'm 33 and on my trip to mexico took a backpack (i'm a bad ass!) but another friend of the same age had a huge duffle on rollers and since we really were kind of parking in hostels for a week at a time or more, sometimes i wished i had had a duffel too! i'm seriously considering it for next time. Keep us posted!
How does one become a butterfly? she asked pensively. You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.
- Trina Paulus

http://www.funchilde.com

catdance62

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 30th, 2006
I have a backpack that has wheels too--it's GREAT! I love it! Mine isn't very big--only really good for short trips, however, I think you can get bigger ones.
Knowledge = Power

Grannygold

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 22nd, 2006
Hi Jeanie, I have to chime in on this one! I'm 61. I agonized and sweated over what to use in Portugal in summer 06--thought I might be walking long distances, wasn't sure. Ended up with an ultralight very expensive backpack that lasted about a week on the road. I ran into bedbugs and had to throw away everything that couldn't be washed and dried on high heat (to avoid carrying eggs and infestations with me). Expensive backpack went into a dumpster. I went to a local market and got a cheap suitcase on rollers, and it was GREAT for the way I ended up traveling--on buses, from town to town, staying four or five days in a hostel and then moving on again. The backpack had always been in the way, awkward to stow overhead, bumping into people, all those floppy straps. The suitcase was WAY better. I'd been warned that rolling suitcases wouldn't do on cobblestones and hills, but the ones in Europe have larger wheels than the ones in the US, and the one I ended up with was perfect for the trip.
--------------------------------
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/Grannygold/

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 30th, 2006
Hello there Jeannie,

I'm inclined to agree with Grannygold, nothing worse than back trouble becoming back problems. Go for the suitcase.
After all when your RTW trip is over, what will you remember most,my back was killing me, or oh we had a fantastic time!

Have a nice day, Whistler.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

Rahma

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 1st, 2007
I'm 58, was stubborn and continued to use a backpack until 5 years ago. All I can say is the wheel is a great invention!

Jeanie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 2nd, 2007
Hi everyone,
I appreciate all your comments on this subject and have showed my husband you letters. Guess what though he's got the backpack 65lt wouldn't listen to common sense thinks he's still 25 so we'll see what happens on the trip. I am buying a suitcase and I'll use my small backpack for the passports and money and all the things that need to be kept safe. We're now starting mid June because we're going west first instead of east. The RTW ticket worked out a lot less expensive.
I am now retired, it is so good and I just am so happy. Free at last thank god I am free at last. No more getting up with the alarm at 6.00 am obsolute bliss.
Happy New Year to everyone and my best wishes for 2007 this is a great site.
Regards
Jeanie

Next

Return to Still Going...