Whether it's diving in Belize or venturing on an eco-trek in Costa Rica, you'll find answers to your questions on Central America travel here.

summer festivals, markets and/or bees in lower CA

nzbeek

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 18th, 2011
Long time lurker, first post:

I've got 3 weeks from July 11-Aug 1 start/finish in San Jose, thinking of some sort of loop including CR, SW Nic and possibly a few days in western Panama. Looking for a pretty low key nature/beach type trip but wouldn't mind meeting new people and having a few big nights out if there are any iconic places that have that flavor. Are there any festivals going on in the region during that timeframe? I love to spend time wandering around markets (produce or artisan) -- Are open air markets a big part of CA culture? Any that are particularly fun?

I'm kind of a nature dork and I earn a living as a commercial beekeeper in NZ so I'm always interested in seeing bees in other parts of the world. . . Has anyone encountered any bee/honey operations or other Entomology type stuff in lower CA?

I'm arriving in San Jose on a redeye so I want to start with a low key day and stay at a decent place the first night to get my feet under me. Any reccomendations of somewhere to stay in SJ that isn't to hard to get to from airport and decently positioned for a walking tour and sorta lazy first day? Also any other reccomedations of memorable accom, eateries, activities around CR and Nic are appreciated. Thining 50-60US$/day, probably bit more in CR, bit less in Nic (excl diving, guided activities, etc) but I'd don't have a problem spending more for a highly reccomended place/unique experience.

Much obliged.

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2011
I know there are a few expat beekeeping businesses near Boquete, in western Panama. I had drinks with an English beekeeper who had retired to Boquete, and talked of it a bit.

Your best bet for a market town will be Masaya, near Managua in Nicaragua. It's heavy on the artisan, crafty kinds of products, and has a lot of flavor to it.

The cities in Central America are generally unattractive places. The only one worth visiting for nightlife is Panama City. Places like Bocas del Toro (Panama), Puerto Viejo and Tamarindo (CR), or the San Juan del Sur area (Nicaragua) have enough of a backpacker scene for there to be occasional parties and music festivals.

nzbeek

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011
Hey Felix thanks for the reply. I was contemplating a couple days round Boquete anyways, see if I can't scratch up some local/expat beeks while I'm there. I'm hoping to get as far north as Granada for a couple days. How easy is Masaya as a day trip from Granada? warrant more than a day?

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 28th, 2011
nzbeek wrote:Hey Felix thanks for the reply. I was contemplating a couple days round Boquete anyways, see if I can't scratch up some local/expat beeks while I'm there. I'm hoping to get as far north as Granada for a couple days. How easy is Masaya as a day trip from Granada? warrant more than a day?

Masaya is only a half-hour, tops, outside of Granada. Its big attraction is the market, so I wouldn't think it needs more than a day. In the near environs, I'd also highly recommend Laguna de Apoyo (crater lake), especially a night at the Monkey Hut there.

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2011
There are also a lot of ecovillages listed on ic.org for CR... Staying at one of these places (and contacting them about bees) might be of interest to you since you like nature.
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

Return to Central America Travel