Categories
Recent Entries
Archives

December 09, 2003

Monday, 8 September 2003, Bosra and Suweida, Syria
80 degrees, sunny

I wake up around 6 AM, very sick, will spare details here. Today is the day we were supposed to leave for Palmyra, Aleppo and Lattakia, but that will have to be postponed sadly, as I'm not feeling well at all. Naeif saves the day by suggesting a day trip to Bosra and Suweida to see the ruins there. I'm not big on viewing ruins, but I agree to this since I'm sure I can find places to escape and sit and rest.

We get a microbus driver - who turns out to be an utterly charming guy - and we enjoy this day a lot. Bosra is the scene of an old castle and ampitheater - a festival and concert is taking place tonight - and we spend a few hours walking around. There's a lot to see of the ruins, which Jeremy and Diana are very into. I'm more a "walk around the city" type, preferring the present day to ancient cultures.

After a day of walking around, we stop at a roadside restaurant - al Fisral, for a Syrian style dinner. Kabobs, salads and Arak (which I manage to have a small glass of, as I'm feeling better now.) An enjoyable dinner, then we're back on the road, home to Damascus.

Posted by Fahimi on December 9, 2003 01:36 AM
Category: The Journal, starring the Rafeh family
Comments

Designed & Hosted by the BootsnAll Travel Network