Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Taipei Layover for 8 hours

ACBungalow

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Tags: taiwan, taipei
  • Added on: May 22nd, 2011
I'll be flying home in a few weeks from Brisbane to LA, and I picked a flight which had an extended layover in Taiwan. I'll be arriving at about 6am and don't have to fly out until 4 or 5pm, so I was planning on heading into the city to have a look around. Any recommendations or advice?
I also write about my travels and post photos in my Off The Beaten Path Travel Blog, come by and say hi!

m0loch

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2011
the airport isn't really convenient to anything...but, if you're intent on visiting the city, get a cab (40 mins to 1 hour ~1500NT (50ishUSD) to the Taipei Main Station (several buses also run...much less expensive, much more time). The city itself has a very well developed public transport network... There's plenty to check out in Taipei, but a couple of the highlights that come to mind are Taipei 101 (go to the city hall metro stop and look for the really tall building) or the gondola at the zoo (don't remember what metro stop - it's at one end of the brown line, and should be obvious on the metro map.

ACBungalow

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2011
Cool, thanks for the info, didn't think I was going to get a response :)

So there is no train from the airport to the city?
I also write about my travels and post photos in my Off The Beaten Path Travel Blog, come by and say hi!

yaofeng

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2011
The bus cost NT$125 ($4 and change) and takes 45 minutes. It stops at several stops within the city. Take the bus. Get off at the main railway station.

You'll be out of customs by 7AM. By 9AM you should be in the city. Leave the city by 1PM to be at the airport by 2.

There is a plan to extend the mass transit to the airport and the construction is underway.

Return to Asia Travel