A place for geezers, grey hairs, and oldies to discuss independent travel. Reminisce about travel in the days before Lonely Planet and discuss issues applicable to the mature traveller.

Taking Chances & Unconventional Lifestyles

TravellerSami

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: unconventional lifestyles
  • Added on: September 12th, 2011
I guess it depends on how much that insurance is, doesn´t it?

bigmaude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 17th, 2011
TravellerSami wrote:I guess it depends on how much that insurance is, doesn´t it?

I'm 51. I haven't checked prices yet but from others my age currently on the road, it will
probably cost me around $400-500 per month for health insurance. If I want travel insurance,
add another $275 for six months coverage. That's a chunk of money each month. Not sure I want
to dump that much money every month on something I may never need as I am healthy and take
no meds. Especially if I could get cheap treatment on the road locally if I need it.

halfnine wrote: On that note, I'd highly recommend emergency evacuation insurance to anyone so that one can get life saving treatment since it may not be available everywhere you travel.

Maybe this is all I need?

Mama-to-many wrote:It's important to understand your OWN circumstances.

I have three children...18 (in college), 21 and 25 (on their own) so I'm pretty much on my own. I'm 51 and in good health. I have life insurance.

nahanniwaterfall

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2011
Healthy is one thing, and sustainable if you know you're living healthily and able to sustain that with good nutrition, exercise etc.

Trauma & accidents are quite another and can be expensive. Surgery and the after effects of getting back on your feet through physiotherapy/occupational therapy can be a long journey requiring equipment and support-not always something one can do idependantly.

Not having insurance leaves others responsible for picking up the pieces.
Buen Camino Peregrino!

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 23rd, 2011
nahanniwaterfall wrote:
Not having insurance leaves others responsible for picking up the pieces.

Actually it leaves you responsible for & compelled to live with the the consequences!
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

go girl now

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2012
Bigmaude, let me know what you come up with--I'm looking forward to an alternative lifestyle of my own someday and I'm about the same age as you now. I have a daughter who's a junior in HS and one in college so after that. . . who knows? One thing I noticed when we were wwoofing our way RTW is that many of the projects listed in the wwoof catalog were communal living type places, so you might want to check that. Some of them are free, like wwoof Bulgaria and I know there's at least one commune there. Helpx also has some listings. I love to cook and care for people so I would have a blast in an organic farming type operation where they milk cows and make their own bread and if there's kids to watch I'll be their favorite lady. :D

bigmaude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2012
go girl, I will surely let you know what I find. I'm hitting the road next
week on a two-year rtw and I'm going to keep my eyes open for alternative
lifestyle opportunities the world over. there are so many options out there,
i'm confident i will stumble across the perfect or near perfect communal
living option. good luck in your search.

busman7

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2012
bigmaude :tup: good luck & please report on your progress.

go girl now

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2012
bigmaude, will you be keeping a blog? If so I would love to have a link to it.

Mama-to-many

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2012
bigmaude wrote:i'm confident i will stumble across the perfect or near perfect communal

Each communal living situation we stumbled across had its own issues. It is being realistic, not pessimistic, to say you're unlikely to find Utopia. Nothing to stop you looking though.

go girl now

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 12th, 2012
Mama-to-many wrote:
bigmaude wrote:i'm confident i will stumble across the perfect or near perfect communal

Each communal living situation we stumbled across had its own issues. It is being realistic, not pessimistic, to say you're unlikely to find Utopia. Nothing to stop you looking though.

You're right about that--the only communal living situations that have managed to work out over the long term have always been religious based. But for no longer than I plan to be in one of these, it will probably be fine. Also, I'm a manager of a summer camp that meets for a week and I often have fantasies that we could all stay together all the time, but there are many little problems over the week--it's just that I love these people so much.

I have no doubt that bigmaude will run into some near-perfect situations but how long will they be near-perfect before the dynamics change and then it will be time to move on? Still, she'll have fun trying.

bigmaude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 23rd, 2012
Hi All!

Finally had a chance to check back! I've been on the road since 1/31/12 and am having a blast! Made my way through Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand. Heading to Myanmar for three weeks. I went with World Nomads for travel insurance only. It cost me $971 for a year of coverage. That only covers major stuff. I'll have to pay for the small stuff if the need arises. So far, I've only wrenched my knee slightly and got a nasty chest cold!

Have not found utopia yet but still looking...

Happy Trails!

bigmaude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

go girl now wrote:bigmaude, will you be keeping a blog? If so I would love to have a link to it.

Yes, I've got a blog at offexploring.com/cshennes. Let me know what you think!

busman7

Share on Orkut

Just checked your blog, nice to see the perspective of an older traveler.

Don't worry if you can't find a travel buddy for Myanmar as it's safe as well as along with Laos the cheapest country I visited. Make sure to take the slow boat from Mandalay to Bagan the trip takes you back to Kipling's Burma.

ps you will get used to the bum-guns & wonder why they aren't used at home :)

Wolfie65

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2014
Regarding health care costs, it's been my experience that you can accomplish a lot by keeping as active & sporty as possible -while not taking any really stupid risks - and eating right.
Also, many low-grade, non-acute or chronic conditions respond to herbal treatments just as well or better than to the chemicals you get from a doctor, many of whom are just corporate drones who get kickbacks to push the latest $$$$$ wonder drug.

Ddrezner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 27th, 2014
For a short term visit, insurance is doable. For a long term visit, it could bust your budget. Then again, in Central America, so could getting sick,. They want cash on the barrel there, and despite what Busman says, many central american medical services are not so good.

If you get a minimal evac policy, that might work.

I went without insurance and survived very nicely, but maybe I got lucky. If I had kids I might not gamble as much.

Wolfie has the right of it. Don't take stupid risks, have some money ready to take care of immediate expenses, cash preferable, and keep healthy and the cost of doctors without insurance will probably be far less than paying insurance month by month. Just don't get something that requires a heart operation.
Tortuga traveller

PreviousNext

Return to Still Going...