If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Teaching in China

ems80

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 20th, 2011
Hi,
my boyfriend and i would like to teach english in china and have seen an advert for doing this with a company called pod travel and teach. Has anyone used this company before and if so what was your experience like? We know there are probably a lot of dodgy companies out there and so anything you could tell us would be great.
Thanks

Lost on Purpose

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2011
This is my first post! I taught in a rural village in Hubei in 2006. I am teaching now in Changhun in Jilin province 8 hours north of Beijing. I have never heard of the company you are talking about. But my gut instinct is to say its probably crap. Jobs are incredibly easy to come by. I have also taught in Chile and Korea. South Korea is easily the worst place to go unless you're desperate for money. There are a lot of great places to work here. As with any job and of course teaching english you have to ask yourself some questions. Do you want to work in a big city? If so, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou are ok. But don't know if they are real representations of China. Hangzhou, a medium size city a couple hours of Shanghai is a good place. There are a lot of smaller more rural cities that I'm sure are great. Do you want to work for a language institute or a public school? Good and bad to both. Language institutes are more like businesses that focus more on keeping the kids and parents happy. Public schools are a little less structured and usually pretty easty. I don't have lots of answers, I've only spent a year and half here. I'm sure other people have better answers. My recomendation would be to drop the company you are looking at and try to find another way to get a job. It is so easy in China.

marrabel

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

ems80, I have a friend who teaches English in China and it seems to me he has the business with this company. When I know I will post you here his feedback.ok?

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Pod Travel and Teach doesn't seem to have projects in China. Even so, there is absolutely NO reason why you should have to pay someone for the honour of teaching. As stated above, there are endless jobs in the country which will actually pay you (not the other way around)
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

ems80

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 4th, 2011
Thanks for the replies, i think that sounds like good advice. What sort of qualifications/training do you need to get jobs out there or is it possible to learn while out there?

TedKarma

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2011
ems80 wrote:We know there are probably a lot of dodgy companies out there . . .

Most are okay, but the #1 indicator of dodginess is if they want you to PAY them for placing you.
As Mr. Fluffy_bunny indicates . . . YOU are the hot commodity. There are plenty of jobs and not enough teachers.
Last edited by TedKarma on May 28th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Learn about Teaching English Abroad. Check out TEFL Newbie

hanee

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2011
I teach in China, I've taught in Qingdao, Nanjing, and Shenzhen. All pretty big cities, with alot of jobs. Theres no need for to get into a placement program in China.

There really aren't any requirements as long as you have the right "look" (caucasian,blue eyes) but I mean it's good to have the right requirements. Some of the really good schools are willing to pay alot for qualified teachers. I guess it depends on why you want to teach in China. Is it because you want to travel? to make money? just for the experience?

If you want to make money, obviously the bigger cities like Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen will pay you more. Guangzhou is a big city but don't pay as much as the other cities.

If you want to travel I think Shenzhen is a great place to start teaching. Cost of living is a little high, but for traveling it's easy acess to all of south-east asia and a lot of nice surrounding chinese cities.

If you're going for experience, as in experince in teaching in a foreign country I would go to a rural city, where you won't get paid much but you'll get plenty of experience and be able to interact with "real" chinese people. Also the cost of living is cheaper than that of a bigger city.

I didn't come to China to teach, but ended up teaching and it has been an adventure for me with it's ups and downs...

If I were in a situation like yours and new to China, honestly I would just pick a city and just go. It's really not that hard to find a job here in China.

oh if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 19th, 2011
Like it has been said - you can do better. Any time a company provides a service for you, they are making money off you somehow. Don't use an agency or teaching program to find a job. Recruiters... well, maybe. But be careful and make sure you understand the industry and typical conditions where you plan to go BEFORE you contact one, and don't be afraid to tell them no.

Start your job search here: http://www.eslcafe.com

As far as qualifications, in most countries in order to legally get the proper visa, you'll need a university degree. It could be a degree in Creative Basket Weaving, that's fine, as long as it's a full degree from an accredited university. Other than that you need to have a pulse. Everything else you have is a bonus.

If you don't have any experience at all with teaching, then you really owe it to your future students to go get SOME sort of instruction in TEFL. In some countries it will give you a bump in pay to have some sort of certification, some it won't. If you're heading to Asia, they don't care if it's a TESOL or a CELTA or anything in between as long as it meets whatever criteria they are looking for. I did a 60 hour online course once and it bumped my pay in Korea about $100 a month. Most places wouldn't give you a bump in pay for less than a full 120 hour/ 6 observed practice hours teaching sort of certification like a CELTA.

Why China if you don't mind my asking? You can make more money and still learn Chinese in Taiwan. You can make a LOT more money in Korea... and Japan still? I don't know... not sure what's happening in the industry over there in light of recent events. You could make about the same amount of money in Thailand and actually be in a place a person might LIKE to be in the process. Anyway, happy planning.

TedKarma

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 2nd, 2011
Bideshi wrote:
You could make about the same amount of money in Thailand

True, but China typically provides free accommodation and airfare reimbursement, two big costs that Thailand doesn't usually cover.
Learn about Teaching English Abroad. Check out TEFL Newbie

Return to Living Abroad