Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Thailand and Cambodia budget

PietroA

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 25th, 2011
Hello all.

I'm trying to go to Thailand this November 1st to the 17th. Here's an idea of where we want to go:

Chang Mai
Kho Phi Phi (or other islands nearby, basically do some island/beach hopping)
Side trip to Cambodia (mainly to see Ankor Wat)

Planning to stay in hostels/budget accommodation and taking public transport the entire time we're there. Might splurge on a nice restaurant here and there, but mainly wanting to keep that low budget as well.

Based on this info, I mainly would like to know:

1. How much $ should I anticipate on spending?
2. Is there anything other than Ankor Wat I should visit in Cambodia?
3. What is the weather like in these places?

Any other suggestions are very welcomed!

Thanks everyone!!

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 25th, 2011
1) $400 - $1000, depending how you travel
2) Yes. Depends what sorts of things you like to do. I'd personally recommend Phnom Penh and the Killing Fields
3) Hot and humid.

Ankitjha

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
Some hostels might cram a dozen bunks in to a room but only charge 100 baht (less t than $4 USD), while others can charge more than 270 baht ($9 USD).
And the travelling and restaurants dwill not cost more than $8
So your budget should be around $230 for the stay on a safe side!! :)

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Ankitjha wrote:Some hostels might cram a dozen bunks in to a room but only charge 100 baht (less t than $4 USD), while others can charge more than 270 baht ($9 USD).

PietroA wants to go to Koh Phi Phi or a similar island. There is simply no way to find accommodation at this price there.

Ankitjha wrote:And the travelling and restaurants dwill not cost more than $8

Yes they will. The bus from Bangkok to Chiang Mai will cost more than that all by itself. Plus the buses to and from Cambodia, plus the buses and boats to and from Phi Phi (or wherever). Plus the entrance fee for just one day at Angkor Wat is $20 USD.

Ankitjha wrote:So your budget should be around $230 for the stay on a safe side!!

If you go with $230 you will not be able to do any of the things you listed. Plan for much more than that. If you have money left over... well, great! It's not like you have to give it back if you have some money left over when you make it back home :D

ACBungalow

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I agree with Bideshi. When you try to budget your travel upfront, the number you calculate will never be enough, there are always things you did not know about, did not expect, or forgot to include. I generally like to add a good 30% to what I expect my travels to cost, better to overestimate. You hear people talk about how cheap Thailand is, and while it is cheap, its not as cheap as its made out to be in my opinion. Don't forget about the Ferry to and from Phi Phi, I think its something around 600 baht each way if I can recall. And if you plan on drinking, thats another big expense...
I also write about my travels and post photos in my Off The Beaten Path Travel Blog, come by and say hi!

Return to Asia Travel